What's new

Do you have a go-to Caulk?

A lot of projects utilize caulk at some stage to either protect against outside elements or to get a more finished look. Do you have a favorite that you most often use?

On a recent project I replaced a rotten window sill with PVC, so I tried Big Stretch based its reported property of expanding more than most caulks. After the corners of the sill had an abundance of caulk, I used it around the brick moulding and jams but the tube ran out before completing a recaulk of the whole window. I completed that with an older open tube of DynaFlex 230. The Dynaflex tube was at least 2-3 years old and I expected it to be dried out, but after unclogging the tip it flowed like it was just opened. They both flowed and tooled about the same, but I liked the Dynaflex slightly more, it seemed just a touch denser and easier to work with. That could have been due to the fact that it was an old and open, but I came away more impressed with the product than before.
BigStretch-VS-DynaFlex230.jpg

I have used Dynaflex 230 like pictured above with good results. If I have to grab a tube from the big box store, usually it is what I get.

For jobs where I want to go the extra mile to seal water out, I use Dicor lap sealant. It is a sealant generally marketed for RVs.

I usually use DAP or GE depending on whats cheaper. The particular type is chosen by where it is going to be used. I haven't noticed much difference between most brands.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've used both latex and silicone in professional applications.. it really depends on the job. As long as it looks neat after applying.

We used to use this other stuff supplied by the window manufacturer.. for the life of me, I can't remember the name... It was horrible stuff to work with. You couldn't smooth it out with your finger or a rag so you had to be extremely careful when you applied it, but it didn't discolor as it aged and didn't collect dirt from the environment, etc.

I've used both latex and silicone in professional applications.. it really depends on the job. As long as it looks neat after applying.

We used to use this other stuff supplied by the window manufacturer.. for the life of me, I can't remember the name... It was horrible stuff to work with. You couldn't smooth it out with your finger or a rag so you had to be extremely careful when you applied it, but it didn't discolor as it aged and didn't collect dirt from the environment, etc.
Might it have been OSI Quad Max? When I got my asphalt shingle roof replaced some years ago that is what they used for skylights and transition areas. I have never tried their products in my home repair projects after thinking it was messy and more difficult to use for the occasional user such as myself. (I think I got that impression when researching about it later on, I have no first hand experience with it).

Silicone for exterior or wet indoors (Bathrooms). Generally I buy the most expensive and highest years rated because it’s a pain to do them again and they need to look nice.
Latex for indoors, usually the cheapest I can find, because it’s easier to redo and usually painted over and not subjected to wild temperature or humidity changes.

I have a shower that’s a real pain. I tried the most expensive silicones and they didn’t work. A friend of mine that does remodeling suggested flex seal. I decided to give it a try and surprisingly it worked better than anything I have used. It definitely wasn’t what I expected.

Top Bottom