What's new

Custom scales on my latest buy.

I was over in the acquisition thread but moved here now that I've started on this Simmons keen kutter with unusual scales, advice or tips will be appreciated.
Hopefully you can see how the pieces are easily broken as I attempt to remove the pins.
I'm no closer to knowing what or how these scales are or were made. They're small sections pieced together and held in by the metal (silver?) back.
I laid one of the small pieces that came out on top in the second pic.
20231014_204436.jpg
20231014_204406.jpg
20231010_153757.jpg
20231010_152451.jpg

I'm sure some horn or bone dust/Ca mix will be a part of this project.

I should clarify the small sections I spoke of aren't the pieces breaking off, they're the larger 1/2" or so pieces.

I would saw the pin off inside the scales - a Jeweler's saw, or piercing saw, comes in handy for this .

Excellent idea, one I'll have to remember.
I got the pins out but it isn't a pretty site.
My patience needs a spanking and put in the corner.
My hope now is that the end result will still be something fairly easy on the eyes.
Pretty sad I didn't have more respect for the scale maker.

Good information Gamma, I just ordered one, it'll definitely come in handy.
I've broken 3 types of scales due to pins being stuck, very disappointing. I got to the point where I didn't even want to even try to tap them out.

That's been my best guess also mr_houston but I can't find any pictures of turtle shells that match the texture of the scales, the color pattern looks good but the texture lines don't seem to match.

As I'm working on them I've also found out that what I thought was the metal holder that needed cleaning is actually some form of 'skin' or backing of sorts about 1\16" thick, and then under that is the metal backing.

The pieces coming off are more like acrylic in nature which makes no sense as to how that could have been accomplished.
I'll try to add some close up pics of the bigger pieces.

These were very nice scales when new.

I think these were horn, I’ve seen dried up horn look like that and fall apart.

I’ve never seen tortoise look like that.

It'll be interesting if these wind up being horn.

Hopefully the thin layer of 'something' laying between the scale and the metal encasing that I mentioned earlier can be seen.
So far I'm looking at using epoxy and mica powder to create new ends.
There's no way the existing scale material could handle the new pins, they would just shatter from the hammering. The yellow curved line is where I'll be removing more scale for the new epoxy ends.

1699831208427.png

1699831143272.png

I'm also open to ideas for restoring these scales. In one way I believe the reason I paid so little for this razor is the razor wasn't that impressive of a look in the pictures. So now I have the opportunity to 'update' it so to speak.
Something to give it that 'wow' effect.
So far I'm thinking of a similar color blend of the mica that enhances the existing scale pattern.

How about some Abalone, Paua from Masecraft or Faux Tortoise. Masecraft has a host of sheet materials and colors.

With the scales on a copy machine make a paper copy/template. Glue template to scale material and cut the notches with a Dremel on a router base or a Dremel mounted to a board/table or StewMac “Anchor” to make a mini router table. StewMac makes an excellent precision router base. But you do not need plunging capabilities for this project, there are $20 plastic router bases for the Dremel and shop made bases available. Check guitar repair and marquetry sites for ideas and other tools.

It will be some tedious work but can be done. Or cut an oval that fits in the scale with a little gap. Fill the gap and scallops in the silver scale with black or tinted epoxy for a nice sculpted boarder.

Interesting project, post photos of your progress.

Great ideas Brad.
I'm going to hang on to those, I'm not sure if my restoration ability can do well with the detail needed to do a proper job.
If it weren't for needing to get under the scalloping, maybe, but it could still wind up being the best option.

Top Bottom