What's new

Crystal Drink Ware

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Just picked up a set of 4 Bohemian Crystal whiskey glasses. 24 PBO.

My first set of leaded crystal. I know that knocking out a few fingers of whiskey from time to time is not really much to worry about the lead, but has anyone gone as far as to do the 24 hour vinegar soak before using to try an leach out as much as possible. Or am I overthinking it?

I am afraid this topic is a bit more complex. Applied Science on YouTube tested this and what he discovered was not promising. You can find the video if you search for “Measuring the amount of lead (Pb) consumed when drinking from lead crystal”.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm guessing that the length of time the whisky is in the crystal affects the amount of lead leaching into the hooch. So a couple minutes in a tumbler isn't nearly as bad as long-term storage/display in a decanter.

1702077179296.png

****. This is the last thing I want to think about while enjoying a glass of whisky. I have a great set of glasses that I use regularly a few times a week. Is there a way to tell if they're leaded crystal or shouldn't I worry about iit?

TheShaun

Bejeweled
The way I see it, is that you aren't letting that drink sit in there for days. I've been using regularly since I got them and I still have my jewels.

Top Bottom