What's new

Compatibility Question

Hey folks, new member here and I'm completely new to double edged safety razors. After reading about them for a bit I jumped in and purchased a Merkur 42c based on some reviews and the fact that I like the look. Shaved with it last night and was impressed with the results and enjoyed the process, so already considering a few different options. What I would like to know is which 3 piece razor brands are compatible? I have a Lord L122 coming that I know is compatible with the Merkur handle I have, but curious if other brands can be swapped as well. How about Parker and Merkur? The idea of Frankenrazors are interesting to me as I can see loving a handle but not a head and vice versa. Any info on this and pics of swaps you've done would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3716.jpeg
    IMG_3716.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Let me ask another question along the line of compatibility, would a handle from a single edge work with a double edge head of the same brand? I'm not looking to get into single edge razors currently, but have seen some with amazing handles that I'd like to use with a double edge. Thanks!

Let me ask another question along the line of compatibility, would a handle from a single edge work with a double edge head of the same brand? I'm not looking to get into single edge razors currently, but have seen some with amazing handles that I'd like to use with a double edge. Thanks!

Without knowing the specific razor, the answer above (from @Multum in parvo) still applies to most 3-piece, single-edge razors. For example, any standard handle will fit a Razorock DE or SE razor, or Blackland, or many others.

Well I just bought my first razor with the sole intent of using the handle. Got this Durham Duplex incoming that I will try out with a Tech and the 15c. Just thought this thing was unique looking and read that it was really solid.
IMG_3754.jpeg

Just see if you can find the thread dimension. Most modern razors use metric size M5 x 0.8. Older American razors tend to use thread size 10-32 which is quite close to M5 so most will interchange.

Fatip uses M4.5 x 0.75 so their handles do not play well with others.

The Lord L122 (aka L5) may have changed since I bought mine 10 years ago. I find it to be quite aggressive but some folks report that it has been made milder.
Let us know of your experience with a new L5.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I would never suggest it might be a good idea to hang on to any of your money - and I'm afraid I might be booted off the forum for such nonsense - but I suspect you would be well served to use your Merkur 42c for at least a few weeks, if not more, so you can perfect your technique without a bunch of variables to consider.

And then buy lots of stuff (I think I'm safe now)!

Top Bottom