What's new

Brookes & Crookes SR - Sheffield

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm looking at purchasing a Brookes & Crookes 6/8 Dutch (round) point SR dressed in natural ivory(?) scales. Vendor claim that it was manufactured in about 1880.

IMG_20220130_205940.jpg

I have searched and found just a little of the history on Brookes & Crookes. What I would like to know is how good a razor this is for shaving. The only SR I have that I can compare it against is my George Butler "Shakespeare".

Asking price is about USD 200 including shipping. This is at the top of my acceptable price range that I pay for vintage SR's.

Last edited:
They were in business from 1858 to 1947. Founded by John Brookes and Thomas Crookes. Later the firm consisted of Thomas Crookes, William Westby, and Herbert and Willis Crookes. Made all types of cutlery and Bowie-type knives. Abridged from Goins Encyclopaedia of Cutlery Markings.

They employed far fewer workers than any of the giants like Joseph Rogers, but won the only gold award at the 1867 Paris exhibition.

That's all the info I could find quick and hope it helps but I have never owned one of their razors but its pricked my interest

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have read the history of Brookes & Crookes. What now needs to be done is to convince me to buy this SR at its exorbitant price.

I have read the history of Brookes & Crookes. What now needs to be done is to convince me to buy this SR at its exorbitant price.

I would say at 200 that's a steep price to be paying even with ivory scales but that's just me it depends on how you value it and if you want to pay that price

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I laugh at what junk people will spend $200 on,

Hey, I resemble that remark, especially with JNats!

$200 is high for a 6/8 B&C unless it’s near new or professionally restored with little or no wear.

Ivory scales are very desirable but they’re also fairly common and frequently sellers don’t know what they have. I’ve bought razors for the ivory scales for as little as $21 US, delivered. If the razors aren’t that great, they go into the ‘scale pail’ for future scale swaps which I have done many times.

Legion

Staff member
Hey, I resemble that remark, especially with JNats!

$200 is high for a 6/8 B&C unless it’s near new or professionally restored with little or no wear.

Ivory scales are very desirable but they’re also fairly common and frequently sellers don’t know what they have. I’ve bought razors for the ivory scales for as little as $21 US, delivered. If the razors aren’t that great, they go into the ‘scale pail’ for future scale swaps which I have done many times.
I'm not saying it isn't priced on the high side for an antique SR. I'm saying, all things considered, a razor like that is remarkably undervalued, compared to many things.

People spend $200 on a pair of sneakers which will be in the bin within a couple of years. They'll spend well over $1k on a phone which will be upgraded and replaced, even if it is still working.

Hell, an electric razor costs $200, and it will be in landfill within ten years. It wasn't hand made, and fashioned out of an endangered species.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I'm not saying it isn't priced on the high side for an antique SR. I'm saying, all things considered, a razor like that is remarkably undervalued, compared to many things.

People spend $200 on a pair of sneakers which will be in the bin within a couple of years.

Very true, and also true compared to modern razors. Would I rather have a somewhat high priced B&C in ivory at $200 vs taking pot luck on a modern TI, Dovo, etc at the same or higher price? The odds of getting a fine razor lies with the vintage razor.

When I’m trying to decide whether a vintage razor is worth it or not, one thing that I do is compare prices to modern new ones.

People spend $200 on a pair of sneakers which will be in the bin within a couple of years. They'll spend well over $1k on a phone which will be upgraded and replaced, even if it is still working.

Hell, an electric razor costs $200, and it will be in landfill within ten years. It wasn't hand made, and fashioned out of an endangered species.

I agree vintage all the way but 200, now if it was 150 yes I would be on it like a rash.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I agree vintage all the way but 200, now if it was 150 yes I would be on it like a rash.
That is also my current thinking. So far Iam not convinced enough to buy it. If I miss out, it will be no great loss for me. I have plenty of other SR's that are excellent shavers, vintage and modern.

From memory, my George Butler "Shakespeare" cost me about $80 and that is a great shaver. It also has natural ivory scales.

Well just to give a little info this Joseph Rodgers 5/8th Ivory Scales worked spine was £15.00 with free shipping

20220130_233609.jpg

This pair of Express razors in ivory was £50 with free shipping

1.jpg
20181027_224840.jpg

Both sellers know they were ivory scales and that's my view I would pay £150 but no more yes it might be vintage razor and better than modern razors but why to pay more I understand people want to make a living out of these items but what happens when you come to sell it why be out of pocket we all have a price we are willing to pay for items

If this thread is not already antique, I have B&C I use regularly, a 5/8th hollow grind made after the 1891 tariff as marked "England." Mine does not have ivory scales but I would say 150.00 would be the very top dollar a nice example would bring. Mine is an excellent shaver.

Top Bottom