What's new

Bowmore 54 years old

Nice looking pack.
$0912_Bowmore1957.jpg

I've drunk whisky at these ages. And I've never enjoyed one. Give me an 18YO (Whisky. Behave), and I'm a happy bunny.

The auction should be interesting though. It's a unique bottle - the only 750ml one around. The others are all 700ml.

@ReAndyMator, really? How's the taste of such an old guy?
I've had a 23 (Rum. Behave) and enjoyed it a lot.

Really old whisky is (generally) really, **really** woody. I've drunk a 57YO Macallan, a 50YO Highland Park and a 40YO Bowmore.

The Macallan and HP were commercial releases ('Macallan Lalique II' and HP 50YO) and the Bowmore was a 'have a taste of this' cask sample. All three were very, very dry (yet all three are relatively sweet in their normal expressions), and tasted very much of the oak their casks were made of. Whisky always tastes of the cask (Scotch Whisky isn't Scotch Whisky until it's spent 3 years in cask) - but it's usually better balanced than that.

For what it's worth, I once stayed overnight at a distillery with the brand manager for said distillery. There was a complete range of the distilleries product 8YO to over 30YO. I got there first, and sat down with the bottle of 18YO, and 'Supernatural' on the TV. The brand guy joined me a little later. I ony realised he'd joined me when I heard a quiet 'Damn!' From behind be. He sat down, carrying the 12YO bottle. Turned out the 'Damn!' Was because the 18yo was missing (on the table, with me). Turns out that he and I both gravitate to 18YO.

Younger than that, it tastes a little too aggressive - a little too cereally. Older than that, it gets a bit too woody - too 'chewy' for want of a better word. Many people (myself included) reckon that 18YO is a sweet spot for Scotch whisky.

:) very good explanation, thank you.
Now I've got a Talisker 10 yo. I'm not an expert, but I must admit I'm not particularly impressed, I was enjoying the Bowmore 12 more (well, it's bowmore).

Can you advice me on what (18 or not) should I get? I enojoyed a bottle of Laphroaig but I can't remember anything more than that. And, on the subject of adding water, what do you think? I tend to prefer "pure" things, generally speaking.

If you liked the Bowmore 12, the 18 is really good. The 15 is also really good, and significantly cheaper. My other usual recommendation would be a Highland Park, but I wouldn't bother with the 12YO if you weren't so keen on the Talisker. Try the (surprise, surprise) 18YO, or the 21YO. The 21YO focuses more on the smoke, the 18YO more on the sweetness.

If, on the other hand, you preferred the Bowmore because you like the smoke, try something a little peatier. Maybe a Bruichladdie (although note that Bruichladdie make non-peated as well)? If you really liked the smoke, try a Laphroaig. The standard 10YO is nice, but the Quarter cask is something special, and much cheaper than the older expressions. If the smoke was a really good thing, try a Lagavulin 16YO (although the smoke is getting quite intense here...) And if you really **really** loved the smoke, try an Ardbeg....

Oh, and as for water, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. What I would say is that it's worth buying a bottled water for use, rather than tap water, for consistency, as much as anything else. And add a tiny bit. Really *really* tiny amounts to start with. I have been known to use a syringe, and count drops. Some whiskies work really well with a little water (anything smoky will certainly stand a little), but some really don't. The only way to tell is to try it. Measure out a measure (doesn't matter what size, as long as you can repeatedly pour the same size). Assuming we're talking a typical sized measure, I'd probably start off with 1cc of water. Nose / taste it first, add the water, swirl, do it again. Repeat. The aromas/flavours *will* change as compounds come out of solution. At some point, you'll add the next drop and think 'damn!' When you do that, you'll know you've added too much, but, you'll know how much you want to add next time. There are certain drinks (Auchentoshan Three Wood is one example), to which I'd add approx 0.5cc of water to a large measure (around 50ml), as I think this brings out the sweetness a little better - even tiny quantities like that can make a difference.

You'll get a bit more leeway, and you'll notice even more difference if you play about with cask strength expressions. These can be around 60%abv, and they're usually pretty intense to start with, so the flavours change completely as you add water.

Don't let anyone tell you you shouldn't add water though! I've been sat at tables with the master blenders for several different producers, and invariably they add water. One I know, tends to add almost as much water as whisky. Swears it tastes better.....

Last edited:
Mmm thanks I think I have to try different things. Yesterday I tried to add a teaspoon of water to the Talisker. It changed everything! Kind of the flavour came out unlocked.

Highland Park 18YO is about 65€. The 25YO is 179€! Quite a difference. Can't I mix an 18YO and a 7YO to get a 25?
(kidding).

Top Bottom