What's new

Botique Coffee, too expensive?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Specialty coffee is getting expensive yes. Depending on what roasting company you are buying from, is what price you are going to pay. Additionally, if you buy naturally processed anaerobic coffee, those are really expensive.

The first time I bought Anaerobic coffee, was a couple month sago, when I bought Red Rooster Ethiopia Worka Sakaro, I bought 2 pounds of it, cost me 53 dollars I believe it was. Light roasted beans goes stale faster, but you better believe it, I strung that 2 pound bag out for 2-months. The last tiny bit left in the bag tasted horrible by that point.

But when you get that coffee fresh, oh my goodness, the strawberry flavor is to die for, best coffee I ever had. But the cost of it negates my ability to buy it all the time, which is why I strung the bag out a couple months.

When it comes to normal washed specialty coffee, its not uncommon to spend 30 dollars per 2 pound bag. One of the reasons why I love Good Brother's coffee, is that they have many that only cost 9 dollars a bag for the 12oz I guess it is, but I always buy 2 pound bags, and I usually get them for around 18 dollars or so.

But I also have a coupon code that I can use to get 15% off, it pays to know YouTubers in the coffee space lol. So that 15% off, makes an already cheap coffee, even cheaper. Lately I have only bought the Good Brother's Neapolitan coffee, whenever I order from them.

But they just announced a newly released coffee, and wouldn't you know it, new releases are expensive I guess, cause they are charging 23 dollars for a 12oz for their newest release. I guess it just all depends on the coffee.

The coffee I buy from Stirling Coffee Roastery, is the Kenya Dark Roast Espresso, and that coffee costs me around 32 dollars per 2 pound bag. I also get a coffee from Bones every month on auto subscription service, its the Army Of Dark Chocolate. They only sell coffee in 12oz bags as the only choice, and it costs me 30 dollars I think to get 2 12oz bags of it.

But yes, specialty coffee will always cost more, then what you pay at the grocery store. The coffee you buy from the local supermarket is low grade coffee, it is garbage farmed, garbage picked, garbage variety, garbage sourced, and its also garbage cause its 6-months to a year old!

Specialty coffee is usually farmed correctly, picked with care, single origin, sometimes even sourced locally depending on roaster, and the roast date will show, that it was roasted 3-days to 1-week ago, by the time you get it. So that usually what you are paying for.

But another thing that is driving the cost of coffee up, other then the obvious inflation, is that growing coffee is becoming more difficult, due to climate change. Coffee genetically expects a specific temperature range, as well as altitude, in order to grow well. Now that he planet is getting hotter and hotter, crop yields have been fairly poor, unless grown in a greenhouse, where you can control the temperature and humidity conditions.

With the added difficulties of farming, its driving the cost up. This is just the reality. Do your research, pick out a roaster that is affordable to you, and just go with it. I am telling you, the Good Brother's Neapolitan blend is quite affordable and tasty! And I really love my chocolate infused coffee from Bones, Army Of Dark Chocolate is delicious.

I roast coffee, and have seen my costs creeping up almost every time I need to order. I sell mostly to family, friends, and friends of friends, and I feel bad when I raise prices. I'm trying to make $9/bag, which ends up less than minimum wage with my roasting capacity, setup, teardown.

Then I look at what local roasters are charging, and yikes! $24 and up for a 12oz bag? And these people have cafés where they can charge $3.50 for a drink that uses 20-25g coffee and takes less than a minute to brew?

I am obviously in the wrong here, because these places are doing very well. It's insane to me that people will happily pay over $20 for 3/4lb of month old beans.

Specialty coffee is getting expensive yes. Depending on what roasting company you are buying from, is what price you are going to pay. Additionally, if you buy naturally processed anaerobic coffee, those are really expensive.

The first time I bought Anaerobic coffee, was a couple month sago, when I bought Red Rooster Ethiopia Worka Sakaro, I bought 2 pounds of it, cost me 53 dollars I believe it was. Light roasted beans goes stale faster, but you better believe it, I strung that 2 pound bag out for 2-months. The last tiny bit left in the bag tasted horrible by that point.

But when you get that coffee fresh, oh my goodness, the strawberry flavor is to die for, best coffee I ever had. But the cost of it negates my ability to buy it all the time, which is why I strung the bag out a couple months.

When it comes to normal washed specialty coffee, its not uncommon to spend 30 dollars per 2 pound bag. One of the reasons why I love Good Brother's coffee, is that they have many that only cost 9 dollars a bag for the 12oz I guess it is, but I always buy 2 pound bags, and I usually get them for around 18 dollars or so.

But I also have a coupon code that I can use to get 15% off, it pays to know YouTubers in the coffee space lol. So that 15% off, makes an already cheap coffee, even cheaper. Lately I have only bought the Good Brother's Neapolitan coffee, whenever I order from them.

But they just announced a newly released coffee, and wouldn't you know it, new releases are expensive I guess, cause they are charging 23 dollars for a 12oz for their newest release. I guess it just all depends on the coffee.

The coffee I buy from Stirling Coffee Roastery, is the Kenya Dark Roast Espresso, and that coffee costs me around 32 dollars per 2 pound bag. I also get a coffee from Bones every month on auto subscription service, its the Army Of Dark Chocolate. They only sell coffee in 12oz bags as the only choice, and it costs me 30 dollars I think to get 2 12oz bags of it.

But yes, specialty coffee will always cost more, then what you pay at the grocery store. The coffee you buy from the local supermarket is low grade coffee, it is garbage farmed, garbage picked, garbage variety, garbage sourced, and its also garbage cause its 6-months to a year old!

Specialty coffee is usually farmed correctly, picked with care, single origin, sometimes even sourced locally depending on roaster, and the roast date will show, that it was roasted 3-days to 1-week ago, by the time you get it. So that usually what you are paying for.

But another thing that is driving the cost of coffee up, other then the obvious inflation, is that growing coffee is becoming more difficult, due to climate change. Coffee genetically expects a specific temperature range, as well as altitude, in order to grow well. Now that he planet is getting hotter and hotter, crop yields have been fairly poor, unless grown in a greenhouse, where you can control the temperature and humidity conditions.

With the added difficulties of farming, its driving the cost up. This is just the reality. Do your research, pick out a roaster that is affordable to you, and just go with it. I am telling you, the Good Brother's Neapolitan blend is quite affordable and tasty! And I really love my chocolate infused coffee from Bones, Army Of Dark Chocolate is delicious.
If you like fruity coffees and get the chance, try Ethiopian Siadama Darato Bombe. I had some that was around $7 a pound for green beans and roasted it light. It tasted like a blueberry flavored coffee. Sadly, I only ordered five pounds as it was my first time roasting it and I usually don't spend that much for green beans. I went back to order more and it had already sold out.

I paid $17 for a pound of Mexican Chiapas beans after running out of my own home roasted beans. I wouldn't do it again. My wife said my beans are much better, but I don't know if it is because of the origin or the roast. The roast level seemed fine and it was the first time I tried the origin. I've always read good things about it. It was smooth, but not as flavorful as I expected. For $17, I expect more. The place does good business and I enjoy their brewed coffee on the rare occasion I get it. They always have at least one single origin brewed.

All coffee prices are rising but lateley I've seen lots of new roasters charging north of 15 bucks for 12 ounces of beans. I'm a borderline coniseur, but anybody feel they are worth the cost? If so, which ones?

That's not a high price. Check out the Panama Mokkita Natural -Mama Cata Estate at Paradise Coffee Roasters. $250 for 4oz

I don't really care to taste elements of this and overtones of that. I just want a good black coffee. To that end, my favorite blend right now is Craft Coffee's Streetlight Blend. It's always freshly roasted and it's inexpensive at $7.99/bag.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'd like to support some of these, but when it comes to forking over $13 for something I can get for under $4... Just can't. Grocery bills are killing us.

AA

I was already paying a premium for my daily dose of Tim Hortons (ground coffee). Now I'm buying 2.5lb bags of Mt Comfort Peruvian at Costco for 15 bucks per bag.

Getting a very nice cup using my Baratza Encore and AeroPress...and it's actually cheaper.

Top Bottom