What's new

Boar Face Advice

I am wanting a new Semogue to face lather with, and cannot decide between the 610 and the 820. I have a 1305 that I love, but would like a little more back-bone. Does shorter loft always = more back? I mostly use harder soaps, but do like the occasional cream. Advice?

Same bristle different lofts (and relative same knot diameter), I would say just off the numbers the 610 has more backbone. Both are relatively new so I doubt if very many people have both but hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

The 620 is a great face lathewring brush with ample back bone. Be prepared for a longer than normal break in period, 20 lathers & dry outs.. Worth it though.

610, hands down. If you are looking for more backbone that is where it is at. Like Fozz said though, little bit longer to break in. I had to bowl lather at least the first 5 times before I could take it to the face heh.

So, all of your advice points at the 610 (same as 620, but blond and 90% tops). Great. Thanks!

The 1470 looks good too, but I am tired of worrying about breaking in a brush, falling in love with it, and having the handle split. Even though I am careful, moisture is the nemisis of wood.

So, all of your advice points at the 610 (same as 620, but blond and 90% tops). Great. Thanks!

The 1470 looks good too, but I am tired of worrying about breaking in a brush, falling in love with it, and having the handle split. Even though I am careful, moisture is the nemisis of wood.

I would say with your worry for wood, the 610 is where it is at. Let me go grab mine and take a quick picture, mine has been used 6 or 7 times now.

OK so we will call it five shaves just to be on the safe side (probably closer to 7 but I have gotten a lot of brushes lately). This is the 610;

You can see how it is already well on its way to getting perfect. Probably 15 more shaves till it is where I like them to be.

With a little bit of care (don't soak the handle) the 1470's wooden handle will not be a problem. Mine is about a year old with about two dozen uses, well broken in and is as good as new. Take care of them properly and they will give you years of service. I also have a 620 and an 820, both wonderful brushes that are great face latherers. Any of these shorter Semogues will make great face latherers.

Enjoy your shave,

OK so we will call it five shaves just to be on the safe side (probably closer to 7 but I have gotten a lot of brushes lately). This is the 610;

You can see how it is already well on its way to getting perfect. Probably 15 more shaves till it is where I like them to be.

Lookin' good! This is about where my 620 is right now

I like the wood handle on my 1520 and with the excellent thick finish it has I don't think the handles going to split. I've got cheaper handles and they split when the lacquer wore off. I don't think you have to worry with a Semogue.

Clayton

I guess I should say that I am a woodworker/ cabinet maker. I know wood, and I am very careful with my 1305. I also trust that a brush company that has been doing what Semogue has, for that long, knows all there is to know about non-stabilized wood shaving brush handles. That said, I am still weary of wood and water. Throw in the capillary action of the bristles sucking water into the center of the handle (yes, even hanging up-side down), and there is a lot that can go wrong, no matter how careful you are. No biggy: I would still have a great knot to re-handle. :w00t: Plastics just make a lot more sense to me in the bathroom, and have a beauty of their own.

I recently picked up a 620 and it is great for face lathering. The only problem i can find with it is that it is banded.

I've used my 620 90% of the time for the past 14 months or so. I absolutely love it. It is the perfect face lathering brush.

And the great thing about it is that its banded. lol

So, how does the 610 compare to the 2010 custom boar?

I guess I should say that I am a woodworker/ cabinet maker. I know wood, and I am very careful with my 1305. I also trust that a brush company that has been doing what Semogue has, for that long, knows all there is to know about non-stabilized wood shaving brush handles. That said, I am still weary of wood and water. Throw in the capillary action of the bristles sucking water into the center of the handle (yes, even hanging up-side down), and there is a lot that can go wrong, no matter how careful you are. No biggy: I would still have a great knot to re-handle. :w00t: Plastics just make a lot more sense to me in the bathroom, and have a beauty of their own.

For the price though you can't go wrong with a wooden handled Semogue. Wooden handles fit better in my hand then the acrylics too. They also look nicer I think.

Top Bottom