What's new

Bleeding Catalin?

I have two qu, no 3 questions. I bought this old mug and brush. I cleaned the brush as recommended here, with dawn dish soap and water. When I agitated with the brush i found that the handle was bleeding all over my mug. Is this normal? Is there something I should be doing to stabilize the handle material?

Second, the soap doesn't fit. I trimmed it and got it in but there is very little room to agitate with the brush. I've begun to think this mug was not designed to be used with a puck. Can you all tell me about the original idea behind this?

Lastly, no designated mug section here? What up with that?
IMG_20180613_130449_kindlephoto-396302517.jpg
IMG_20180613_185951_kindlephoto-416541510.jpg

I have two qu, no 3 questions. I bought this old mug and brush. I cleaned the brush as recommended here, with dawn dish soap and water. When I agitated with the brush i found that the handle was bleeding all over my mug. Is this normal? Is there something I should be doing to stabilize the handle material?

Second, the soap doesn't fit. I trimmed it and got it in but there is very little room to agitate with the brush. I've begun to think this mug was not designed to be used with a puck. Can you all tell me about the original idea behind this?

Lastly, no designated mug section here? What up with that?
View attachment 890544 View attachment 890545

First off that’s a mustache mug not intended for shaving. The brush whenever I buy a vintage brush Don’t Use until you reboar it. Old brushes loose hair and are nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holes in the mustache guard seem counterintuitive. I do believe this one was made for shaving. The tray with holes to rest the brush on and allow it to drain or to let steam reach it from the hot water in the mug and keep it warm. That's my guess anyway, I readily accept that I could be wrong.
First off that’s a mustache mug not intended for shaving. The brush whenever I buy a vintage brush Don’t Use until you reboar it. Old brushes loose hair and are nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking that it might actually be a left-handed moustache cup, but I don't think so. Moustache cups typically have only one hole near the rim. Multiple holes would allow the 'stache to get wet. Even so, a lot of eBay moustache cups erroneously get labeled as "shaving mugs".
Or else "VINTAGE RETRO SHAVING LATHER SCUTTLE MUG MOUSTACHE CUP", just for the clickbait value. :glare:

If it is a sort of shaving mug, it might only be for wetting the brush and parking it between passes. Not for building a bowl of lather. It could work for face lathering with a soap stick. I see nothing like a notch on the rim to keep the brush from rolling around, but that may not be critical.

Are there any little ridges around the bottom that would keep a puck from spinning?
proxy.php

If not, the absence of them still would not be proof one way or the other.

I'm inclined to call it a type of old-style scuttle,
proxy.php

but not a modern (so-called) scuttle:
proxy.php

No, no ribs inside. I think you are right, old scuttle seems reasonable. Now how do I get the danged puck back out?! Lol. Btw, I picked up a mustache cup same day just for the cool factor.
I was thinking that it might actually be a left-handed moustache cup, but I don't think so. Moustache cups typically have only one hole near the rim. Multiple holes would allow the 'stache to get wet. Even so, a lot of eBay moustache cups erroneously get labeled as "shaving mugs".
Or else "VINTAGE RETRO SHAVING LATHER SCUTTLE MUG MOUSTACHE CUP", just for the clickbait value. :glare:

If it is a sort of shaving mug, it might only be for wetting the brush and parking it between passes. Not for building a bowl of lather. It could work for face lathering with a soap stick. I see nothing like a notch on the rim to keep the brush from rolling around, but that may not be critical.

Are there any little ridges around the bottom that would keep a puck from spinning?
proxy.php

If not, the absence of them still would not be proof one way or the other.

I'm inclined to call it a type of old-style scuttle,
proxy.php

but not a modern (so-called) scuttle:
proxy.php

Btw, I picked up a mustache cup same day just for the cool factor.
I was given a mustache cup that belonged to my grandfather, but it's a sorta' delicate-looking porcelain teacup and saucer and I'm afraid to use it. :001_unsur
I wonder if they come in Melmac?

I was given a mustache cup that belonged to my grandfather, but it's a sorta' delicate-looking porcelain teacup and saucer and I'm afraid to use it. :001_unsur
I wonder if they come in Melmac?
That's awesome you got you're grandpa's cup! I've scene some beefy ones. The one I got is just as you describe, a dainty little teacup with flowers painted on it.

Great score!!

My answers to your questions:
1. I agree with OP, that really looks like a mustache cup rather than a shavin mug.
2. Great handle that would likely benefit from a new knot.
3. You can always grate your puck to get it to fit a particular container.

Just my $0.02!

Great score!!

My answers to your questions:
1. I agree with OP, that really looks like a mustache cup rather than a shavin mug.
2. Great handle that would likely benefit from a new knot.
3. You can always grate your puck to get it to fit a particular container.

Just my $0.02!
thank you! I think I'm gonna keep the knot though. I think it's badger maybr? I have several and this is one of the softest.

Top Bottom