What's new

Blade length

I've often wondered why straight blades are as long as they are. It seems to me that a shorter blade would simplify shaving of the neck a great deal. Obviously, the tang has to be long enough to accomodate your grip, but why such a long blade? Solingen razors, especially Dovos are especially long in this regard. It also makes stropping and honing more difficult if the blade overhangs by a lot. Any ideas as to what constitutes the ideal blade length and why?

I like the shorter blades also. I have Henkels that's about 1/4" shorter than most and I just won a Union Cutlery on Ebay that's abotu 2.5" long. They're better for getting in and out of tight places.

Jordan

I also like a shorter blade - I have some older razors that seem a little shorter than others.

Double Duck did make some "dwarf" razors and if you look around you can find some shorter blades.

mparker, Which of the Dovos and TIs have the shorter blade?

Could have sworn this came up on SRP a few weeks ago, but I can't find the thread now. The TI Super Gnome has a blade about 1/2" shorter than the rest of the TI line, and my TI pierreforged LE has a short blade as well. The swedes all seem to have slightly shorter blades than normal. Also the de Pews razor has a very short blade, but they're fairly rare.

I don't find the shorter blades help very much at all shaving the neck (and like all men this is a problem spot for me), and the extra length is missed more than you'd think; you drop from 3" to 2.5" and suddenly each pass takes 50% more strokes.

Yes it is difficult to make a east to west pass like you can with a DE. I try for a 45 degree angle or say from 4 to 10 o'clock.But for the rest it's much faster shaving with a longer blade.

Glen

I found a Dubl Duck Dwarf, in excellent condition, from Vintage Blades. It came last week, I honed it up and now it is part of my rotation.

I must say that I find it is a more 'user friendly' razor, as with the regular sized blades I was too busy concentrating on the middle of the blade and on a couple of occasions I nicked my ear with the point!

I have since found a couple more 'dwarfs' which I will be cleaning up and adding to the rotation.

I am not a particularly big guy, so the shorter blade suits me.

Top Bottom