What's new

Best way to split a DE for use in a Dovo Shavette?

Hi, all!

I'm looking to try a Dovo Shavette as a first straight razor for me. I've been shaving with a safety razor for about a year, and I've learned what DE blades I like (using IPs now -- never any burn, but I've got a pile of Merkurs going untouched).

For the Dovo Shavette, what's the best way to split the DE blade in half for use? I don't want to apply any pressure that's going to modify (bend, ding, whatever) one of the cutting edges, and I *really* don't want to cut myself. But I do want to try using a half DE rather than invest in a pile of single edge blades to start with.

Your advice is sought! Thank you!

Oh and: I hope this was OK to post here, since it's almost neither about Safety razors nor Straight razors. But if a moderator wants to move it, I'll consider myself schooled for my first post. :)

When I finish a DE, I usually break it in half to: 1) know it's used so I won't use it again and 2) feed it into a small contraption that I use in my tool kit as a stripper, cutter, etc....

But to get back to your question, I usually put the blade back in the wrapper and bend it over till it breaks. I do feel that in doing so "bends" the blade as I am putting most of the pressure on the outmost part, nearest the blade. But my barber uses these half DE's in some of the tools of her trade and says that she's never had any issues with dull blades.

I would imagine two pairs of pliers would do the job, but if one of them touch the blade, it might be too dangerous to use.

What about using two clothes pins?

If you are bending a DE in half, you are not grasping or "folding" it at the "sharp" end. You are bending it from the middle. Otherwise, you would be using your styptic on your fingers! The edges will be fine.

Randy

I find the safest way is to break the blade as Randy described, but I do the breaking while the blade is still in the wrapper.

I've never had to break a blade. The Merkurs come already split (if you want to try that brand) and the Fromm blades, which are very good, also come pre split. Personally, I'm too chicken to try to tangle with an exposed DE blade!

Forgot to mention that there are three little plastic blade holders -- red, green and black I believe. It's probably a good idea to get all three when you order your Shavette. That way, you can try a number of different blades and styles 'til you find what works best. It seems like they're pretty inexpensive so you might as well get them and save any additional shipping charges later on.

Keep in mind that the Shavette is a very light razor and while you can experiment on technique without much expense, a heavier razor WILL make a difference. Good luck and keep us posted.

I've never had to break a blade. The Merkurs come already split (if you want to try that brand) and the Fromm blades, which are very good, also come pre split. Personally, I'm too chicken to try to tangle with an exposed DE blade!

I'm not so sure of where you are getting your Merkur blades, but they do not come split. If they are split, your package has been tampered with.

Thanks all! I went and tried breaking one by hand in the wax paper wrapper, and it worked just fine (and both sides seemed pretty much even in terms of where the break occurred). I guess I was too worried about causing a warp in the blade or something. Thanks! Order for the Shavette placed!

Top Bottom