What's new

Best Straight you ever shaved with?

Thank you. This is some great information. I guess my question is brand or make. Which shave the best and why.

The point I was trying to make in my post is that the brand or make is less important than the actual design of the razor. The most important factor, however, is the honing. You can purchase the best razor in the world and if it is not honed properly, it will give a lousy shave.

There are a number of brands of razors that are of inferior quality and should be avoided.

Brands of Straight Razors to Avoid - Shave Library

I would add to that list recently made Hart Steel razors which are now similar to Grim Blades. Older Hart blades were good.

Thiers-Issard Limited Edition Oakwing G "Le Grelot" 1/4 grind (268/450)
MaxFli Gold 100 / Tanifuji 40

From those two razors, I've found my sweet spot: 13/16, shoulderless, half-hollow grinds...and hard steel. With exception of the T-I, I find the the Japanese vintage razors satisfy all requirements. I have no desire to own Sheffield steel or yet another Solingen blade after discovering the joy of harder steels and the superb craftsmanship the Japanese masters had offered up.

For example, early on I loved my Fili DT#13. Over time, I found the razor too light compared to Japanese vintage models of similar size so the DT13 has fallen out of favor. The purchase and use of this razor when I started though greatly informed my future purchases.

Figuring out your preferences is half the fun so long as you don't spend all your money doing so. :001_005:

Happy hunting.

I guess you need to try everything to know what works for you.

So down the rabbit hole i go again....[emoji39][emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thiers-Issard Limited Edition Oakwing G "Le Grelot" 1/4 grind (268/450)
MaxFli Gold 100 / Tanifuji 40

From those two razors, I've found my sweet spot: 13/16, shoulderless, half-hollow grinds...and hard steel. With exception of the T-I, I find the the Japanese vintage razors satisfy all requirements. I have no desire to own Sheffield steel or yet another Solingen blade after discovering the joy of harder steels and the superb craftsmanship the Japanese masters had offered up.

For example, early on I loved my Fili DT#13. Over time, I found the razor too light compared to Japanese vintage models of similar size so the DT13 has fallen out of favor. The purchase and use of this razor when I started though greatly informed my future purchases.

Figuring out your preferences is half the fun so long as you don't spend all your money doing so. :001_005:

Happy hunting.

Filly agree, if I liked half hollows I’d have mostly vintage tanifujis with a few Swedes mixed in.

For the daily, comfortable shave you can't go wrong with most of the fully hollow ground Solingen blades. They are easy to hone and maintain, and a pleasure to use when properly honed. They are also mostly very affordable and plentiful, when going for vintage blades. My favourites include a Herders 6/8 and Dorko 6/8. I also have a 5/8 Solingen that has no maker stamp, but never disappoints.

I have mixed feelings about the four TI razors I own. They require a lot more skill to get a good edge. Three shave well, but not to the extent that I can say "Wow! This was a damn good shave" after using them. Despite my best efforts, the 4/8 still doesn't perform as I would like it to.

I am always excited when my 7/8 Rigarazor comes into rotation. This is not a daily use razor as it requires attention and respect at all times. Because it's a heavy half hollow, I quickly learned to apply no pressure and keep a very shallow angle when using it. I choose a day to use it when there are no time pressure and I am in the right mood for it. It rewards your attention and technique with an almost perfect shave.

In short, I agree with some of the statements above. There is not a "One best razor". Too many variables, and without the skill to achieve a good edge, none of them would be great.

So I went down the rabbit hole hard. I thought I had to have everything. Filarmonica, Iwasaki, Wade And Butcher, and others that I thought I had to have. Guess what I have sold all those. No it was not the honing Max did all my razors. Don’t buy what people say. Buy what you like. What feels great to shave with. Don’t buy it because it looks great on your shave of the day. I have learned a lot from this forum and continue to. My CV Heljestrand, Bengall, Bismarck, Gens, Kikuboshi Supreme, ALCOSO-Solingen, Japanese Tiger and Japanese Hikari straight razors are my favorites. If I had to pick just one it would be my Bengall.

Guess what? It is the cheapest razor I have bought. I had to wait a year to find it. I’m happy I did.

Just my two cents. :a6::a52:

My best shaver is Brioline, made in Germany for
Imperial Perfumery & Barber Supply,
Bronx NY.

I evaluate my razors at the beginning of each shave paying
special attention to the against the grain pass on the upper
lip and the corner of my chin.

It is a remarkably unremarkable razor. No jimps or anything fancy.
It cost about $10 a little over a year ago.

The cutting angle measurements are
spine: 4.43 mm
side: 17.05 mm
Angle: 14.9 degrees

DSCN0852b.jpg
DSCN0850b.jpg
DSCN0851b.jpg
s-l400 (2).jpg

One of my favourite shavers is a 7/8ths ELSINE German razor from the mid 20’s so far as I can gather which cost me £10 in an antique shop. When I bought it it wouldn’t shave arm hair and was covered in an engine oil from the Titanic but after 20 mins on the lapping films it had a brand new bevel as bright as the day it left the factory and really shaves like an absolute dream.

One of my favourite shavers is a 7/8ths ELSINE German razor from the mid 20’s so far as I can gather which cost me £10 in an antique shop. When I bought it it wouldn’t shave arm hair and was covered in an engine oil from the Titanic but after 20 mins on the lapping films it had a brand new bevel as bright and shiny as the day it left the factory and really shaves like an absolute dream.

I grab my heljestrand no 2 most of the time, the shank is quite thin so some finesse is needed, but that kind of forces you to use a light touch.
That and fine grained hard steel, smooth and sharp.
Nimble little devil.

I have 3 Hamburg Ring’s that shave exceptional, same with the Bengall, ERN, Dovo Bismarck, Dovo Bergischer Lowe and Doppelvoggel. I also owned a Kropp that was great.
CF2EA901-8BAD-4C60-9DCE-D4762503F0FB.jpeg
B09A8C39-33E2-442C-B47E-EB439BFDF885.jpeg
0EE24C1A-C0B5-419C-90AA-E0002143164E.jpeg
443DFC4B-51BA-4DC4-AA09-1C0755BDD618.jpeg

Reactions: CCR
From 3/8 to 7/8, full to extra full hollow, Solingen, Sheffield and Swiss steel, for me they all shave about the same. It depends more on the edge than the actual razor. If I had to chose it would be any extra full hollow. I don't own any less than full hollow. I bought a Portland Razor Company half hollow and was underwhelmed so it was gifted. I have a little 3/8 Dubl Duck Extra Full that is as much fun as my 7/8 full hollow. I have one Japanese Swiss steel full hollow that is so stiff I avoid it. Not sure why it is so much less flexible than other full hollow razors but it is and kinda dangerous on my head.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
i just got my first razor today seems like there are alot of things i need as far as honing goes, also i need to learn all these terms like hollow or 5/8. i just fell into the rabbit hole myself.
Welcome to B&B! You have come to the right place for advice on straight razors. I am pretty new to SR shaving myself, but there are plenty of gents here that can help get you started off in the right direction.
For starters, a 5/8 refers to the size of the blade from the cutting edge to the back of the razor or spine. A hollow refers to the type of grind and how flexible the razor is on your face. Terms like Half-Hollow, Full-Hollow, Extra Hollow, with Extra Hollow being the most flexible.

There is something here called the Wiki that has a lot of information that will help you also.

It is a pretty deep rabbit hole, you have been warned.

Happy shaves

Doug

I have more than a few, just like many of you. I think My top 5 favorites in order are: S.R. Droecher Blue Diamond 6/8, CVH MK31, Genco Easy Aces, Puma 222, and a Bismarck 6/8 with a bellied hollow grind. I favor hollow grids, they don't eat my face, like wedges do.... YMMV

Top Bottom