What's new

Best Shave I've Had

@Johnnynroy
I use just generic Witch Hazel and I put it in a spritzer bottle.
More efficient and less wasteful that pouring and splashing like AS.
This little bottle for example.
proxy.php

Thanks, what a good idea!

I tried shaving after I shower, but have found slightly less irritation by shaving before I shower with cold water. I rub the water in, then Proraso white pre-shave cream, get the lather on and shave. The difference between post shower and pre-shower is minimal but slightly in favor of pre-shower. Kyle's prep didn't seem to work when I tried it (read: horrendous razor bumps on the neck, but earlier on so my technique probably sucked a ton).
Hi Johnny, on first joining the madhouse (B&B) I experimented with some pre and post shave things too. My face didn't like all that goo which puffed it up and made it feel really yucky. So I went back to normal (for me that is) and have had no problems since.

My normal routine is:
Splash of water on face, lather, shave.
Shower or Bath.
A splash of ASL (definitely NOT ASB) if I feel like it, or not if I don't.

Give it a shot and see if a little minimalism helps. Wishing you great shaves. :thumbsup:

I did manage to take pictures this morning. Got a few before, a few after, and one 20 minutes post Lucky Tiger and Thayer's Witch Hazel. That last picture doesn't show how much better my neck looked in the mirror to me, but the redness declined significantly.
Before:
IMG_0523.JPG IMG_0525.JPG IMG_0521.JPG

After:
IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0533.JPG IMG_0534.JPG

20 minutes after Lucky Tiger and Thayer's:
IMG_0536.JPG

I found a post last night from another thread, where a B&B member noted it took him 2 months to get rid of his razor burn. This lifted my spirits immensely, as I've heard a lot of talk about 1-2 weeks being the standard for many guys to get rid of their irritation and razor burn. I love wet shaving and I honestly look forward to shaving every morning. I've hit the snooze button so much less with the knowledge I need extra time to shave and that I love shaving now. Definitely helps get my butt out of bed, well usually...

Last edited:
I see you've tried the Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow blades. I found them extremely sharp and verging into Feather territory, but also very unforgiving. The Astra SP is a good blade and a solid choice. I know very little about the Baili TTO and can only assume its a rigid design. The only thing in that regard I could suggest would be another razor and for the cost, you may be interested. Or a Gillette Tech but as I understand it, the DE1 is a very close copy of one.

RazoRock DE1 Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

To the bumps around your mouth. Not sure what may cause them although I've had similar results from using an electric, especially with duller blades. They tend to pull then cut leading to ingrown hairs.

If your lather is too thick, it can cause the razor to skip and almost stick to your skin and not travel as smoothly over it as a more slick lather can.

It really sounds to me as though you're having rigidity issues. I have too and they can be overcome.

One other thing I wanted to mention if it hasnt been already, make sure your skin is stretched and on the tight side before stroking with the razor.

Thanks for these tips. I just checked my neck a bit ago and it looks a bit better tonight even than it did this morning. I have been wondering about my lather as I have noted my razor hangs up the most in that problem area on my left neck. I added extra water this morning to my lather, still had no large bubbles but nearly runny in consistency, and that may have made a difference. No drag in that area. Also tried my left hand right there, but I am not coordinated with it. I do have a RazoRock OLD style coming in the mail. I have read that it should be pretty mild but efficient. I'll see how that goes, and definitely will continue with the thinner lather to see if that helps.

One question: when you say rigidity issues, do you mean with the blade? The Baili definitely holds the blade in place pretty well (it's the same thing as the RazoRock TTO or a Weishi TTO) and haven't been getting much, or any skipping with it. That was primarily with my DE89 I had that trouble. Still have lots of audible feedback (I did with cartridges, and every shave prep method I've tried) which I am just taking as my hair being ridiculously coarse and will always happen.

Last edited:
Hi Johnny, on first joining the madhouse (B&B) I experimented with some pre and post shave things too. My face didn't like all that goo which puffed it up and made it feel really yucky. So I went back to normal (for me that is) and have had no problems since.

My normal routine is:
Splash of water on face, lather, shave.
Shower or Bath.
A splash of ASL (definitely NOT ASB) if I feel like it, or not if I don't.

Give it a shot and see if a little minimalism helps. Wishing you great shaves. :thumbsup:

I'll wait a few days while I see if the lather change is making a difference, mainly because I currently don't have a true aftershave aside from Lucky Tiger and Thayer's WH. I have the RazoRock One X aftershave in the mail with their OLD style razor. I'll try out the aftershave and minimalism method first, then the razor. Thanks for these tips. Your earlier post (a few weeks ago) was really helpful, by the way! Thanks!

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
One question: when you say rigidity issues, do you mean with the blade?

With the blade in part, but more importantly the design of the razor head itself, primarily the base plate.

See this thread where I had similar issues with a Gillette LC vs a Gillette Rocket TTO: Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It

Notice in the pictures below, how the blade is supported, or isnt supported as the case may be, by the base plate.

P1160333.jpg Timeless.jpg WolfmanWR1.png

The next two pictures show the differences between only the base plates on Gillette NEW SC and a Gillette NEW LC.

IMG_1458.jpg IMG_1459.jpg

Its fairly easy to see which has a better base plate support for the blade and would hold the blade edge in a more rigid state.

From what I can gather, the RazoRock OLD type should be a rigid design and if an unsupported edge is causing some of your issues, you should notice a difference in using it. As an aside, the Gillette NEW SC has been referred to as "an OLD type with blade gap" by mister rigidity himself, rabidus. I've learned basically everything I know about rigid designs from him and searching his posts from his profile.

A rigid design isnt a cure for everyones issues. Speaking only for myself, I cant get a BBS shave without a rigid razor, especially over the trouble spots on my neck shaving ATG.

I did manage to take pictures this morning. Got a few before, a few after, and one 20 minutes post Lucky Tiger and Thayer's Witch Hazel. That last picture doesn't show how much better my neck looked in the mirror to me, but the redness declined significantly.
Before:
View attachment 803812 View attachment 803811 View attachment 803813

After:
View attachment 803810 View attachment 803809 View attachment 803808 View attachment 803807 View attachment 803806 View attachment 803805 View attachment 803804

I get those exact same bumps under the corner of the mouth as you. Usually I get these when I sahve too many times over that particular area, and against the grain. I think they are just inflamed hair follicles. The only thing that worked for me to help clear them was giving them a rest. Don't shave over them until they've fully disappeared. then be really careful when you shave that area, don't put any pressure on the razor at all. Take your time and try and think light thoughts, also don't keep going over that same area, I try to only go over it once or at maximum, twice (WTG and XTG). Onced you've shaved away the lather, try not to go over it again till the next pass, and don't do so many touch ups in those areas until the bumps have gone.
I shave everyday too, but I like to save when I do a really close shave for maybe once a week (with a WTG, XTG + AGT). This seems to work for me anyway.
BTW, in the meantime, definitely keep using the witch hazel as this will prevent the bumps from getting infected.
Anyway, I hope you figure out a technique that works for you, all the best :)

Perhaps you are trying to get too close for your beard/skin type?
Try a single pass WTG shave for a week.
Rigidity: - Other single blade razors are an option:
The bump fighter & the Gillette Guard are both single blade cartridge razors intended for problem shaving.

@Johnnynroy
A rigid design isnt a cure for everyones issues. Speaking only for myself, I cant get a BBS shave without a rigid razor, especially over the trouble spots on my neck shaving ATG.
Razors that hold the blade rigidly are ideal for those of us with coarse beard hair. For those with average to fine beard hair, razors like the DE89 are just fine. But for those of us with coarse beard hair, a non-rigid blade will bend and skip.

Like Esox, I'm an @rabidus (The Rigid Blade King) fan. :thumbup1:

@Johnnynroy

Razors that hold the blade rigidly are ideal for those of us with coarse beard hair. For those with average to fine beard hair, razors like the DE89 are just fine. But for those of us with coarse beard hair, a non-rigid blade will bend and skip.

Like Esox, I'm an @rabidus (The Rigid Blade King) fan. :thumbup1:

Thanks, I couldn't have said it better myself! In the end, a smoother, more rigid blade edge will benefit everyone...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
In the end, a smoother, more rigid blade edge will benefit everyone...

I dont see how it could hurt. I'm really puzzled by those that say their DE89 or whatever shaves better than a Tech or even a Wolfman.

I dont see how it could hurt. I'm really puzzled by those that say their DE89 or whatever shaves better than a Tech or even a Wolfman.

When someone feels how difficult it is to cut stubble with a rigid blade edge, they call it pulling and don't like the feeling. The EJ89 will flex and release stubble that's difficult to cut and give the illusion that it is cutting better.

Someone used the postwar Tech for the first time and said it pulled and they didn't like it. Then they used the Prewar Tech(less rigidity) and said it was great. The prewar Tech is great until I get to my chin and above my lip and jawline.

Technique plays a part also. A faster stroke works best with a rigid blade edge for me. Gotta have guillotine action going, stubble never know what hit them. If a blade is sharp enough to dig in and pull, then a faster stroke will slice right through.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
When someone feels how difficult it is to cut stubble with a rigid blade edge, they call it pulling and don't like the feeling. The EJ89 will flex and release stubble that's difficult to cut and give the illusion that it is cutting better.

Someone used the postwar Tech for the first time and said it pulled and they didn't like it. Then they used the Prewar Tech(less rigidity) and said it was great. The prewar Tech is great until I get to my chin and above my lip and jawline.

Technique plays a part also. A faster stroke works best with a rigid blade edge for me. Gotta have guillotine action going, stubble never know what hit them. If a blade is sharp enough to dig in and pull, then a faster stroke will slice right through.

That I can understand and I've experienced the same thing you mention, pulling and not cutting, especially in more mild razors like the Tech. A Derby in it is not my favorite shave, but a Polsilver or a Feather is a different world. I just assumed that if it was tugging, a sharper edge was called for so I stepped up my blade choice until I found what worked in that razor.

I've also noticed recently that increasing the speed of my strokes with a blade thats not as sharp as some others has helped my comfort level quite a bit, and I shave fast as it is.

I'm beginning to appreciate sharper blades in a more aggressive razor. I may be ready to step up to something a bit more aggressive than the NEW SC soon.

Thanks all for the words of wisdom and advice. Going to keep at it and see if I can achieve an irritation free shave one of these days. Difficult to get that kind of shave with the current irritation, but I have a feeling the RazoRock knockoff OLD style razor might be the key to it. Seemed to be very efficient but mild when I used it the other day. Also think I was going XTG around the corners of my mouth and not WTG like I thought. Still far more enjoyable than carts haha!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks all for the words of wisdom and advice. Going to keep at it and see if I can achieve an irritation free shave one of these days. Difficult to get that kind of shave with the current irritation, but I have a feeling the RazoRock knockoff OLD style razor might be the key to it. Seemed to be very efficient but mild when I used it the other day. Also think I was going XTG around the corners of my mouth and not WTG like I thought. Still far more enjoyable than carts haha!

I'll be curious to read your thoughts on the RazoRock OLD type as you get familiar with it.

Top Bottom