What's new

Beer and temperature

Years ago I discovered that beer, at least good quality beer, is much better served at the proper temperature. What is the proper temperature? For me, a lover of Porter and Stout, the best temp is usually 55-60 F. I thought about buying a thermometer but that seemed overkill so I just pull the beer out of the fridge about a half hour before I drink it.

I also found this handy-dandy serving temp guide... http://www.ratebeer.com/Story.asp?StoryID=479

I just wondered if anyone else prefers their beer a bit warmer than "ice cold".

Last edited:
Cold dulls flavor, so letting the beer warm up from fridge temp will allow more flavor and aroma to come out of the beer. Your method is pretty much right. If you are able to have a dedicated beer fridge, turn the temperature up a little, which will help the wait time.

I had a friend that would store his ale in the kitchen near a refrigerator. He insisted that it is best tasting at room temperature. He would defend that ale was best served at room temp and would refuse to chill mine even slightly. This stuff was undrinkable, as his room temp was probably 78 degrees near that fridge. He failed to realize that room temp is actually a standar measurement at 68 degrees, not the temp next to the fridge. We are no longer friends.

I'm with you though. I like some Ales at room temp, 68 degrees that is. You definitely get a better taste out of em.

If I am drinking a Bud or something on a hot summer day, then ice cold it is.

Also, don't get me started on chilled glasses. When I'm at a restaurant and I order a decent beer, if they give me a chilled glass, I always ask for a regular one.

I'm no beer snob but some beers are just better at cellar temperature. Dig a hole in the back yard in the shade and bury a cooler. There's also a proper way to pour a beer and specific glasses for a particular type of beer. A pilsner for example is best in a long fluted glass poured with a generous amount of head to release the gas.

Last edited:
I prefer my lighter beers like IPAs, pilsners, blondes, etc at colder temperatures. No chilled glass or above freezing temps, but colder than 55. Especially during the summer. It doesn't take long for them to warm up anyway. As they do, I feel most beers only get a little sweeter. I still pick up all the flavor at colder temps.

I like to leave my stouts out a bit before diving in during the colder months so the malts really shine.

Sounds like you may be a fan of cask beer served with a beer engine.
proxy.php

I just wondered if anyone else prefers their beer a bit warmer than "ice cold"

I'm British. Of course I do.... I'm with the 'take them out of the fridge before you want them'. If it's really nice, I tend to drink them slower, and then you can see how the flavour changes as the temperature does.

Sounds like you may be a fan of cask beer served with a beer engine.

If you're addressing me... yes, I am. I was stationed in the UK for a couple of years (76-78) where I learned about less than icy beer.

Last edited:
I just wondered if anyone else prefers their beer a bit warmer than "ice cold".

If its too cold it numbs my taste buds.
(Exception, after mowing the lawn, an ice cold Michelob Ultra does seem refreshing and rewarding for the labor.)

At the moment, I am into High Gravity beers that have been aged in used Rum or Bourbon casks - I even use a sniffer. So, yeah, temp/taste does matter to me. I take a couple out of the fridge and let the first one rest for at least 30 minutes and find the second one to be even closer to the temp that I like.

Put a 'Brew Cave' next to that 'Shave Den' in your 'Man Cave' and set the temp that you like.....:001_tt1:

http://www.kegworks.com/brew-cave-w...StwNw-F7UmonmRQPQfS6w5alhyOg&acid=linkshare&=

Yes, a beer with more flavor is better at a warmer temperature.

I prefer cheap beer served ice cold because it doesn't taste very good anyway.

Many American Macros need to be 1/10th of a degree from freezing to hide the corn squeezins but a good beer seems best at about 50-55 and some even 60+. I keep my homebrew stouts in an unfinished cellar at about 60 degrees and it's lovely. I also don't mind an alcohol finish on many beers and the higher temp brings that out as well.

P

pdillon

I have a wine refrigerator set to 55 degrees. I keep all wine (red & white) & beer that is on deck for drinking in that fridge. Unfortunately I don't have a proper cellar.

Top Bottom