Where do you live?
Upstate NY
What is your age (or) generation?
Gen X
What are you in the real world?
Civil Servant
What is your favorite shave setup?
Large bowl with nub handle
Colonel Conk soap (current scents favored are almond and lime)
Colonel Conk brush (what makes those priced over $100 worth it anyway - I'd honestly like to know!)
Two antique Puma blades
1 antique Spike (Olean, NY) blade
1 new Dovo, but it's so pretty I just can't bring myself to use because I don't want it to be looking like my Pumas (plus I learned after the fact that stainless steel is more of a maintenance issue than rust-prone steel on account of honing difficulty).
3" Ilonois Razor strop
Razorock Almond Balm - much less alcohol and infinitely better scent than Colonel Conk!
Ogdalla Bay Rum & Lime - pretty good for the price, while I'm still looking for a decent lime straight-up.

What are your hobbies and favorite activities?
Linux (for PCs)
Computer tinkering
Guitar and other musical instruments

What else should the members of B&B know about you?
What you should know about me? Hmmm... I kill badgers - in fact, there's a dead one sitting on my sink just now! Please don't report me to the PETAs!

Seriously, I have really enjoyed the thrill of trying to get through each morning ritual without bleeding too much on account of either poor coordination, blades not really sharp enough with my 4000/8000 Norton and my sharpening skill, or both. A couple of weeks ago I was just too tired to do this with a less than perfect blade, and ended up with a nasty cut on the neck, which I'm afraid will be a permanent scar - probably won't be noticable by others, but I'll know it! Now I want to know how much better my blades can be before I use them again.

My blades are of reputable make, with no serious issues, but at best I can say that after three months of practicing the 30-40 degree angle and being able to get through most days without a cut and feeling mostly satisfied, I can only truly say that the results are better than the awful electric Norelco that someone gave me years ago. I have not been able to get better shaving closeness with my straight razors in the best condition that I can get them in than with even the cheapest twin-bladed safety razor disposables, no matter how carefully I hone them and how much I strop them (following the posted directions and videos to be sure I'm doing it right), it seems I'll never get a better job like this than the condition my face has after nearly 12 hours after running a safety razor over it. But I'm willing to give the professional honemeisters a chance, if I can get some references on any here. I would like to find out if their work can help me shave better with these blades!

Last edited:
Welcome to the club!

What do you do with the badgers after you kill them??
Arrrrrr.....that's the best part! That's when I get 'em all soapy, and then rub 'em all over my face! :letterk1:

Actually, I began thinking of myself as a badger killer because my first brush didn't last very long (due to no thoughts on care at all), and my present one has also shed some bristles despite the fact that this one was always stored on a hook for drainage. Now I'm being more careful about rinsing the soap out as well - my initial idea was on saving the soap in the bristles because it holds a lot that would be wasted, but since I started rinsing and letting it go I believe now that more of the little varmints can be saved.

Last edited:
Greetings Dave, welcome to the Hall of Fame, and thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself!

Top Bottom