What's new

Are older Micro Four Thirds bodies good buys?

Specifically looking at Olympus E-M1 mk1 (2013), E-M5 mk1 (2012), or E-M10 mk2 (2015). The bodies can be had for under $300. Can't decide between those three for street photography. I imagine they should still outshoot something like my smartphone. Also have a Sony Alpha A6100, my main camera for landscape and architecture.

lasta

Blade Biter
Digital cameras depreciate pretty fast, but doesn't mean quality is gone!

Personally, I mostly shoot film. But If I'd pick up an older digital, I'd probably lean towards a Fuji Xt-1. About the same size and price. Bigger format=more options for natural perspective.

I shoot a Panasonic GX9 and love it. Shot a GX85 for a few years before scoring the GX9 slightly used at a price I couldn't turn down. The GX85 is a great little camera and still holds its own almost as good as the GX9 in every way. No experience with Olympus other than the 60mm macro awesome lens though work great with my Panny bodies. Not sure how much size and weight you would be saving over the Sony you have though, unless there is a specific feature on the Olympus that you really want.

Legion

Staff member
Digital cameras depreciate pretty fast, but doesn't mean quality is gone!

Personally, I mostly shoot film. But If I'd pick up an older digital, I'd probably lean towards a Fuji Xt-1. About the same size and price. Bigger format=more options for natural perspective.
I would lean this way as well. The OM system was very popular when it came out, but in terms of image quality, dynamic range and so on, an older Fuji would be a bigger step up from a phone.

The other thing you will need to budget for is the lenses, of course. Just because the bodies depreciate to nothing, the same doesn’t go for the glass.

All said and done though, a om camera isn’t much smaller than the Sony camera you already own.

My main shooter is Pentax K-1 (think Big Honking DSLR) but I recently picked up an Olympus OM-E-MD5 mk ii for macro shooting and a travel camera. It's a good camera and can be had a good price. I'm just starting to aquire lenses for it. But i's probably about the same size as your Sony.

I looked at the EM10 mk 2 and felt for about the same price the 5 mk ii was a better camera.

My main shooter is Pentax K-1 (think Big Honking DSLR) but I recently picked up an Olympus OM-E-MD5 mk ii for macro shooting and a travel camera. It's a good camera and can be had a good price. I'm just starting to aquire lenses for it. But i's probably about the same size as your Sony.

I looked at the EM10 mk 2 and felt for about the same price the 5 mk ii was a better camera.

The E-M5 mkii is indeed a better camera, the weather sealing alone makes it so imo. It's at least $100 more than the EM10 mkii on the used market.

Top Bottom