What's new

Are artisan shaving creams worth the extra money ?

Unless you have a very sensitive nose, most soap scents will be quite fleeting. That's why soapers sell matching aftershaves (and some even EdTs).

I'd pony up for premier soaps only if I enjoyed the scent, and the performance matches. But even then, I'd only be expecting the scent to last as long as it takes to do the final rinse before applying aftershave.

Don't think of soaps as colognes. The scent is there to enjoy while you are shaving, not after. The reason to enjoy an artisan soap has more to do with the shaving experience itself and nice post-shave feel.

Anyway, the answer is totally subjective. There are plenty of good soaps out there and most artisan soaps are more expensive to use.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Don't think of soaps as colognes. The scent is there to enjoy while you are shaving, not after. The reason to enjoy an artisan soap has more to do with the shaving experience itself and nice post-shave feel.
I totally agree. Worth the money is always an individual choice. Some shavers don't feel any difference. Some feel the difference but don't think it's worth the extra cost. Some shavers proudly perform an excellent shave spending the least amount of money that's practical. Some pay extra for scents they like, some don't care about scents.

But no matter where you fall on the worth the money scale, counting on the scent to replace aftershave/cologne is going to be very disappointing. My wife likes lime scents. A few years back I was shaving with Castle Forbes Lime cream and assumed she'd get a kick out the great scent. After the shave I told her to enjoy a whiff. She put her nose on my cheek and exclaimed, "It smells like soap."

So a direct answer to your question: I only use artisan soaps and no, they are absolutely not worth the money in terms of scent longevity hours later.

This is a very subjective question. No, you won't notice the scent hours later, at least not from any I have tried. However, I very much enjoy the scents of soaps like Stirling and Captain's Choice while I am using them. I also like how they feel on my face. So to me, they are worth it. There are more expensive soaps I could try, but I tend to be frugal with most things and don't feel I would gain anything by buying more expensive shave soap.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Scents are there in soaps and creams to be enjoyed ONLY when soaps and creams are being used, they do not last. The vast majority of aftershaves do not last either. If you desire a long-lasting fragrance that sticks around for hours a quality cologne is your only real option.

I've never had a soap scent linger longer than a few minutes and artisan aftershaves may extend that period to maybe 1 hour. Buying the soap to enjoy the scent during a shave and to learn about fragrances is always a great idea.

Only a handful of different scent notes will stick around longer than 5-10 minutes after shaving. Tobacco, cedar, vetiver etc. IMO, artisan soap is lightyears ahead of the mass produced competition. The scents are higher quality, more sophisticated and varied. The actual product itself is formulated better with higher quality ingredients that actually go through a saponification process. The labels are somewhat interesting. Whether the price is worth it to you though will be subjective. When I first started, the difference between canned foam and proraso and TOBS was significant. I would say that as I hobbified shaving, the difference between proraso and tobs and the artisan soaps I've used is also significant and well worth it.

Does Truefitt and Hill's shaving cream perform better than Taylor of Old Bond Street's?

Yes but only slightly. The smells lasts about the same (not long)

Whether thats worth it is up to you.

I mean can you still smell the fragrance hours later if you don't use any aftershave ?

Firstly, I do not expect the scent of shaving soaps or creams to linger after the shave.
That is what after shaves, Eau de Colognes, Eau de Toilettes and similar products are for.

Secondly, after years of traditional wet shaving I tend to sit on the fence, let others be the guinea pigs who spend their money on “artisan” shaving products, and wait for a consensus to form.

Most “artisan” products are underwhelming and after years of daily wet shaving I have settled on a range of products that any new product will find hard to beat.

B.

Top Bottom