What's new

Anyone know if someone makes replica Gillette "Fat Handles"?

Good morning fellas 🌞. My personal favorite handle ever is the Gillette "Fat Handles". I like the 3 inch size and how light it is. For me it has great grip and allows most of the weight of the razor to be head heavy which is my favorite balance in razors. I find myself using the two that I have and switching out whichever current razor I'm using with that handle. I would like to buy in bulk these handles but getting them cheap and in good condition might be a challenge. So does anyone know if anyone sells replicas of this handles that are close in weight of the original "fat handle"? I know Karve makes replicas of this handle but they are not chrome and are also heavier than the original. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rhodium-gillette-fat-handle-tech-safety-razor-above-the-tie_3_670_1800x1800 (1).jpg

-God bless 🙏

Good morning fellas 🌞. My personal favorite handle ever is the Gillette "Fat Handles". I like the 3 inch size and how light it is. For me it has great grip and allows most of the weight of the razor to be head heavy which is my favorite balance in razors. I find myself using the two that I have and switching out whichever current razor I'm using with that handle. I would like to buy in bulk these handles but getting them cheap and in good condition might be a challenge. So does anyone know if anyone sells replicas of this handles that are close in weight of the original "fat handle"? I know Karve makes replicas of this handle but they are not chrome and are also heavier than the original. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

View attachment 1723507

-God bless 🙏
I wish..

Far and away my favourite Gillette stock handle. Ergonomic, grippy and came in 2 sizes.

Unsure why they did away with them in around 1950. Probably cost. The ball end has many fans but I have never got on with them.

Did I mention it just looks so incredibly cool?

Last edited:
I wish..

Far and away my favourite Gillette stock handle. Ergonomic, grippy and came in 2 sizes.

Unsure why they did away with them in around 1950. Probably cost. The ball end has many fans but I have never got on with it.

Did I mention it just looks so incredibly cool?
Absolutely it looks great and its ergonomical. Ever seen the slim version of the handle?

Attachments

• 20230915_222323.jpg
    20230915_222323.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
Absolutely it looks great and its ergonomical. Ever seen the slim version of the handle?
Yes, I've seen them all right. They come up quite a lot on the Uk bay, the FBT types were often fitted with them. Just never had a set which was fitted with one.

These come up quite a lot
proxy.php

My second favourite is the spiral or cross hatched handle, exclusively seen on British and some European Techs.
Mostly in aluminium, but some are made of brass.

Here's a full brass/nickel coated example handle from the early 70's. Quite hefty at 54gm.
proxy.php

And here's my old faithful late 50's Alu Tech with brass head and aluminium cross hatched handle. Comes in at around 30gm.
IMG_20221009_205523260.jpg

Rather hypnotic swirls and quite grippy and ergonomic. Nice handles!

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

View attachment 1723507

-God bless 🙏
I would just go to a thrift store or antique store and buy a few techs with fat handles and use those handles is possibly a solution and should be reasonably affordable also. Sometimes the stores get a lot of oddities and a spare handle could be in the pile, I got one like that once when I was active looking around in a antique store.

I would just go to a thrift store or antique store and buy a few techs with fat handles and use those handles is possibly a solution and should be reasonably affordable also. Sometimes the stores get a lot of oddities and a spare handle could be in the pile, I got one like that once when I was active looking around in a antique store.
Not a bad idea. And if they are in terrible shape you could send them to Chris to get replated.

Another idea might be to contact a handle manufacturer like Marley and see if he can make a replica for you, and, if so, how much it would cost.

Top Bottom