What's new

Anyone Bought Inexpensive Badger Brushes from eBay?

"Needing" a second brush; and maybe a third or fourth, I ended up finding a silvertip badger from a seller named heisheng1983 for $5.99. He has a wide range of merchandise. Some of it is branded Frank Shaving (FS), some of it no apparent name. Much of it he represents as having slight or superficial defects. Regardless, the prices are cheap and the hundreds of reviews are overwhelmingly positive. On closer investigation, it appears that many Chinese sell brushes so cheaply, again with positive reviews. Anyone here had any experience with the Chinese eBay brush suppliers? Thanks in advance.
proxy.php

No finished brushes, but I have purchased knots for use in restoring vintage brushes from Virginia Sheng (virginiasheng on eBay) and have been quite happy with the quality, value and service. Her silvertips and Pur Tech synthetics are both very nice, and great values for the money.

I have 3 High Mountain Whites from China and probably have spent $30 or less total (including shipping). The knots are excellent. The handles are average. They are comfortable and don't shed. As far as knots only, you can't beat the quality you get from Virginia Sheng.

I have no idea about the brush you mention.

However, I bought a Tweezerman badger brush a few years ago for perhaps $12. I really liked the brush until the knot fell out after 8 months use or so. The (hardware store) cost of the marine (waterproof) glue to stick it back in was about the same as I paid for the brush. So I just left it alone. Now I have a broken brush sitting under my sink.

Lately I have been using a $9 Omega long-bristle Boar brush that I think is wonderful. I don't know how you feel about boar brushes- people either love em' or not. Here's a link:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Omega-10049-Professional-Boar-Shaving-Brush-White-Handle_p_212.html

I've been buying and using Chinese brushes from various sellers in China, and have had no issues that I recall. I still have my first Chinese brush that I bought over two years ago when I jumped back into wet shaving. For the price point you can't go wrong. I think they are an excellent value.

The Whipped Dog and TGN knots also come from China (as do pretty much all badger knots.) However with these retailers you have the benefit of getting predictable quality.

I got one for $5.49 shipped after responding to an email from EBay for "DISCOUNTED: The Cheap Best Badger Shave Brush wood handle". "The Cheap" is right on many counts. My reaction is detailed at the thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...u-Get-for-5-49-(Shipping-Included)?highlight=
Basically, it was soft and very floppy, acting like a pancake one it got wet & soapy and applied to my face. I gave it along with a Cella sample to a friend interested in trying brush lathering. I apologized that it wasn't an (only slightly more expensive) Omega boar brush like I gave to another interested friend earlier. Anyway, it will lather for him, just not very good for face lathering.

I got one for $5.49 shipped after responding to an email from EBay for "DISCOUNTED: The Cheap Best Badger Shave Brush wood handle". "The Cheap" is right on many counts. My reaction is detailed at the thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...u-Get-for-5-49-(Shipping-Included)?highlight=
Basically, it was soft and very floppy, acting like a pancake one it got wet & soapy and applied to my face. I gave it along with a Cella sample to a friend interested in trying brush lathering. I apologized that it wasn't an (only slightly more expensive) Omega boar brush like I gave to another interested friend earlier. Anyway, it will lather for him, just not very good for face lathering.
Thanks for your link. The "holes" in your photos are not as bad as the ones my expensive AoS pure badger gets, and it too tends to flatten. I understood it was supposed to be possible to put cream right on the brush, or even on the face, and make lather; but I could not make that happen. The only way I could was to load for a minute and a half in a cup or bowl. I just did not yet know what to compare it to. At $6 or so I may not be taking a step up in performance, but at least I will not be taking a step down.

Top Bottom