What's new

Antique store fixer-uppers

Just raided one of the antique stores here in town, since it seems like no one else in Wichita is on the boards here.

found three straights in a case with a TON of DEs. Ball-end techs, "khaki razors" in the case with the original blue-wrapped blades, auto-strop razors, a travel Gillette with the tiny one-inch handle, even a Rolls razor.

Anyway, here are the straights I found.

proxy.php

A no-name razor. No markings on the blade at all. It's in very good shape, though, minus the one weird spot on the scales. Fairly heavy grind. Maybe 1/4 hollow. Looks to be slightly larger than 5/8. I'll see how good the blade is and then consider possibly re-scaling it.

proxy.php

A Beau Brummel 40. It's faded and could use a polish, but the edge itself is in GREAT shape. This one should clean up great, though I may send it to someone more practiced at this than I am. Slightly warped scales, but overall in very nice shape for its age.

proxy.php

A Hess Forty-Four. Sadly, this blade is in terrible shape. Though the wash on the blade is in remarkable condition, the blade has been honed to hell and back. The scales are slightly warped but in otherwise very good condition. This is also one I might have to send to someone to see if the blade is salvageable or not.

That Hess is a fine looking razor to bad it has seen better days . do you mind sharing where it was made I have not seen one before . It should be salvageable but you will have to get rid of a lot of metal and reestablish the bevel your best bet for that is to send it to a honemeister and to be honest I do not know if the Hess brand is some thing that would be worth spending all that on but I am sure some one with more experience will chime in soon

Nick

Nice haul!:thumbup1::thumbup1:, all of them will clean up just fine. Warped scales are not a problem. The Hess has a frown but that is fixable too.

I actually saw a near-mint Hess either on here or at SRP that went for $100, so I'm thinking it's probably worth having someone fix that blade. It's Solingen-made.

the Beau Brummel needs some rust removal and the blade is very slightly warped, but it should be fine.

The no-name just needs some scratches buffed out and a good honing.

Top Bottom