What's new

Another TGN Order Placed :)

The 20mm Finest was so perfect for my first restore/reknot that I decided to do three more.

I went this route:

24mm Silvertip Short Loft
24mm Super Silvertip
26mm Finest (extra hair)

All going into vintage handles. I'm building a 6 brush rotation. So this will put me with the three above, 20mm Finest TGN and my 26mm Morris & Forndran.

What do you pros think?

I personally have used the short loft and the finest XH you got and they are glorious. I haven't used the super silvertip yet (just regular and grade a). You will NOT be disappointed. I can't wait to see the handles you put them in :) .

The Golden Nib. You will see it called TGN on B&B. This wonderful guy sells very impressive badger hair knots so we can reknot or restore vintage handles. They are already epoxied so all you have to do is drill out the old knot, fill it with epoxy and smack the knot into the handle.

www.thegoldennib.com

You can build a silvertip from him for $50-60 shipped. He sells beautiful handles for $20 and the most knots range in the $20-30 range with some 30mm monsters going for $30-40

I purchased a black badger knot from TGN last week and was super impressed. Very nice feel and great look for such a cheap knot.

Hey there! You actually indirectly were the reason I bought my first TGN knot. That neat brush I won I'm your PIF had the knot fall out and I loved the handle so much so I bought a 20mm Finest knot to replace it. It's a close first to be my favorite brush. I am definitely excited to have me three new brushes in rotation in a week.

How have you been?

I personally have used the short loft and the finest XH you got and they are glorious. I haven't used the super silvertip yet (just regular and grade a). You will NOT be disappointed. I can't wait to see the handles you put them in :) .

Hey there! You actually indirectly were the reason I bought my first TGN knot. That neat brush I won I'm your PIF had the knot fall out and I loved the handle so much so I bought a 20mm Finest knot to replace it. It's a close first to be my favorite brush. I am definitely excited to have me three new brushes in rotation in a week.

How have you been?

Woah which brush's knot fell out? You'll have to remind me which one it was cause October was SBAD month so I kind of bought a lot and PIF'ed quite a few lol. Was it the white handled boar one?

I guess at least you liked the handle enough to restore it :) . And TGN makes a quality product to go in the handle :) .

Yeah that white handled antique looking brush that neither of us knew the name of what it was. You got it with a free with a purchase of a bunch of omegas.

I wish I had bought another 24mm knot tonight (go figure). I bought a coupler piece at Lowes that is exactly 24mm and has steel bolt head threads on each end. It is about 4 inches tall. It's going to make a real neat industrial looking handle.

Ok no pics yet but I did the 24mm super silvertip and OMG. That guy bloomed and bloomed like a freaking mushroom cloud! I'll never sell that brush now either. I break all of my brushes in with CO Bigelow mainly for a universal reason and I love the smell so much I'd rather that smell be instilled in all my brushes if any smell is.

I'll post pics soon and think you all will be very surprised in the size of the beast.

ive done a 20mm silvertip and a24mm black from tgn and they have yet to shed a hair.i understand that tony will do special orders too.happy restoring:}

ive done a 20mm silvertip and a24mm black from tgn and they have yet to shed a hair.i understand that tony will do special orders too.happy restoring:}

Ooooo special orders how? I would love to make one of my 30mm handles into a black badger. I have a 30mm XH finest in the mail (stupid post office *grumble* *grumble*).

I agree with the silvertip though, very nice in terms of bloom and feel. Mine however sheds a hair probably every shave...Now I have only used it a dozen or so times so I am not too worried about it yet. I am probably one of the people someone would say is pretty heavy handed with his brush though as well. The black badger I have shed a few hairs the first couple of times but doesn't shed any now.

I would be curious too, does your guys' silvertips dry a little crispy? Like the tips of mine kind of crisp together after use. I was thinking about running some shampoo through the brush just to see if that makes it stop, and I have been using the same soaps and creams I use with my other brushes and none of them do that?

Weird that you mention it. Yes, this super silvertip has been used once and dried crispy. I thought I maybe left some Bigelow cream on the tips by mistake but take it that this is normal typical now.

I will go wash mine with a shampoo bar (less bad stuff in them heh) and let you know how that works. This is my only brush this happens to so I just thought it was weird. Could be whatever they use to treat the knots?

Top Bottom