What's new

A warning for newbies with sensitive skin

So I have my process down-pat.

I shave after a hot shower, apply zero pressure and don't shave against the grain. I do three passes maximum, and take small passes (not the great long ones you do with a cartridge razor) and then apply some alcohol based aftershave. It works perfectly every time.

So what did I do today?

We were set to go out to lunch for my wife's birthday, and my daughter decided that she wanted to go earlier - so I lathered up without the shower and shaved with massive strokes, and because I was rushing, I wasn't watching my pressure or angle.

So I'm here six hours later and my face feels like it's on fire still, my neck is itching and the left side of my face has come up in bumps.

Don't forget the basics my dudes, there's a reason they exist 😂

It's so true. Forget all the fancy stuff and the, "I can't get a good shave unless the soap contains mermaid milk and unicorn tears."

The difference between a chin-stroker and rough shave is whether you got the basics right. I have been working on them for 15 years now and still consider myself a learner...an experienced learner, sure. But still a learner.

I've been shaving forever and I still have to remind myself daily to lighten up on the pressure and take short strokes.

I suspect moisturizer would be more comforting in your situation than alcohol based aftershave.
In the past if I roughed myself up I would apply some Vicks VapoRub.

It is true that overconfidence can be a bad thing. In a carpenter shop it's usually the older guy with more experience that chops here s finger off.

I try to never push the razor into my skin. That's the sure way for me to get cuts and neck redness. Finesse is the key for me. I like a drop of Afta afterwards too. I don't know if I always need it, but I do it anyway and it seems to make a difference.

So I have my process down-pat.

I shave after a hot shower, apply zero pressure and don't shave against the grain. I do three passes maximum, and take small passes (not the great long ones you do with a cartridge razor) and then apply some alcohol based aftershave. It works perfectly every time.

So what did I do today?

We were set to go out to lunch for my wife's birthday, and my daughter decided that she wanted to go earlier - so I lathered up without the shower and shaved with massive strokes, and because I was rushing, I wasn't watching my pressure or angle.

So I'm here six hours later and my face feels like it's on fire still, my neck is itching and the left side of my face has come up in bumps.

Don't forget the basics my dudes, there's a reason they exist 😂
Good reminder. I find It’s good to have a system and setup down for the quick shaves. Ie preshave, shave cream, synth brush and an efficient razor where only maybe 1-2 passes are needed. Practice this before you actually need to rush. Or just don’t shave.

Top Bottom