What's new

A very long post containing soothing advice for new wet shavers

I’ve only been wet shaving since February, but recently I’ve noticed two things: I’ve been getting some really amazing shaves, and I’ve calmed down about the whole wet shaving phenomenon. I still really look forward to my shaves, but I don’t spend every spare moment on Badger and Blade or on obscure barber supply websites hunting for the perfect cream. I’m enjoying the shaving more and worrying less about learning and about the equipment. I thought some of the things I’ve learned in the past few months might be useful as advice for new wet shavers. Maybe I’m unusually neurotic, and maybe I’ve thought about this a LOT more than most new wet shavers, but I think that my experiences will have relevance for people starting the learning process. The too long, didn’t read version is basically relax, have fun, and don’t listen too closely to the advice of others (including this post).

You might think about why you got into wet shaving in the first place, and what your goals are in the whole process. It sounds silly to mention goals when it comes to something as inconsequential as shaving, but I realized a few weeks into the whole experiment that I had all kinds of shaving goals swirling around in my head, and it took a few months for me to really make sense of them. This activity, which some might call a hobby, rapidly takes on a huge symbolic importance for many of the people on this board, and I was one of them. I found that making sense of shaving’s importance for me helped me enjoy it much more.

I started wet shaving for two reasons – one, I was sick of paying for Mach III cartridges, and two, I had impulsively bought a cheap Van der Hagen boar brush at CVS and thought the idea of old-fashioned shaving was neat. So the reasons were not especially personally important. A few weeks into my new experiment I found that I was making myself miserable by constantly reading about shaving and constantly comparing my results to an imaginary standard of perfection. My goals had shifted – instead of saving money and exploring an old-fashioned practice I had entered a totally humorless competition in which I held myself to a strict standard of perfection.

Maybe your goal is getting the perfect shave, but this wasn’t working for me, and it was leading me to feel bad every time I shaved, which is obviously not good on any level. I would advise the new wet shaver to think about why he’s doing this: maybe you’re after the perfect shave, maybe you’re looking to explore something fun and unusual, or maybe you’re trying to find a solution to a problem (like sensitive skin). I eventually realized that I was really just doing this for fun and to set aside some time to relax every day, and this (perhaps ironically) helped me get better shaves because I was more relaxed and I cared less about the outcome.

This brings me to my two next points: manage your expectations, and don’t get overwhelmed with information. Don’t expect wet shaving to be a total, instant transformation. At first, and even quite a bit later, you may have some rough shaves, you may look like someone spritzed you in the face with Windex, and you may nick yourself here and there. None of these outcomes are failures. You wouldn’t expect to get on a horse and immediately win the Kentucky Derby, and although wet shaving is nowhere near as demanding as being a professional jockey, it still takes some learning time. It’s learning, not a competition.

This is where not getting overwhelmed comes in. When I started wet shaving I pored over all the available resources on Badger and Blade, and I did it in a pretty stupid way. I read about Merkur razors – I had to have a Merkur! I read about Tabac soap – I had to have it! Eventually I read tons of stuff about straight razors and decided that they were obviously the best way to shave and I had to have one!

I got completely consumed in the opinions of strangers on the internet and they blew me hither and yon like careless winds. I ended up getting a straight razor and making myself totally miserable over it – was I stropping it correctly? Was it sharp enough? Would it pass the “hanging hair test”? Was I drying it sufficiently? Should I shave with one hand or two? Was I over-stropping? I was scared to shave with it, and I felt like I had failed all the time. I literally had to put it in a drawer so I couldn’t see it and feel guilty about having spent so much money on it.

Really this isn’t specific to straight razors (and more power to the people who use and love them). What had happened was that I had convinced myself that I should be doing something that would give me the best possible shave and that would, in some irrational way, please the nice people who had written so intelligently and in such depth about the technology. But I hated doing it! Eventually I cut myself relatively badly and decided that it wasn’t for me, and sold it on the Buy, Sell, Trade forum. It felt so good to be free of it! I look back on it as a funny, slightly humiliating episode now, but the lesson I took away from it is, if something isn’t working for you and isn’t any fun you may be better off getting rid of it, and you shouldn’t feel like you’ve failed. That’s one of the nice things about Badger and Blade, actually – you have the marketplace forum to sell shaving stuff that doesn’t work out, so you don’t have to feel like you’ve misspent.

Remember, it’s all personal opinion here, a fact tartly summarized by the acronym YMMV (your mileage may vary). You don’t have to feel like a dork if you don’t like Tabac, the Kent BK4, or Tony Miller strops.

Two final points – you might want to examine your preconceptions about shaving, and if you can bear it, it’s always better to buy quality. Preconceptions - when I started wet shaving I decided, basically arbitrarily, that I was a soap guy. Soap! I would get a whole bunch of shaving soaps, and use mostly soap, and soap was just wonderful and people who used creams were sort of sad and deluded. I think you can see where this is going – after a while I tried some creams and found that I liked them better, they agreed with my face better, and they worked better for me. Again, this has nothing to do with soaps or creams – maybe you’ll decide that you’re a Gillette man, that you only like Turkish products, or that you’ll only ever use vintage straight razors.

If this is the main reason you’re getting in to wet shaving then go for it, but there’s no reason to artificially limit your choices if you’re just exploring and trying to find what works best. Specialize later. On this subject - a few of the other newbie guides stress getting a minimal setup and sticking with it, varying nothing, until you’ve learned to get a good shave from what you have. In my opinion this partakes of a competitive view of wet shaving: the goal is to get the best possible shave, and this technique tries to get you there as fast as possible. As I write above, if that’s what you’re into, then go for it, but if you want to try a bunch of different, rad-smelling creams, sample unusual brush designs, and collect the entire line of Master aftershaves then go for it and don’t look back. The technique will come eventually – it's not that difficult, and there's no hurry, this isn’t thoracic surgery.

That said, my personal proclivities and budget led me to do my exploring in the shallow end of the pool – I bought a lot of cheap soaps and creams and, in retrospect, I wish I had been gutsy enough to go for a few nicer things rather than lots of inexpensive ones. The good news is that there are lots of cheap shaving products that are really great (take Musgo Real, Spieck, and Omega boar brushes, for instance). You can get an excellent quality Gillette vintage razor on the Buy, Sell, Trade forum for less than $20. But if wet shaving grabs you you’ll eventually want to get some high-quality, expensive things. As I wrote above you actually don’t stand too much financial risk buying shaving supplies – people on the marketplace forum are happy to relieve you of things that didn’t work out (unless they’re just obviously terrible).

I think the place you can see this most is with brushes – it’s pretty hard to wrap your head around the fact that someone would pay $100 for a brush you use once a day (or $70 for a STAND for a brush you use once a day). Here’s the most practical part of this whole extremely long post – I would advise new wet shavers to go straight to a quality silvertip brush. If you get a Shavemac 177 or a Kent BK4 I don’t think you’ll spend any time thinking, “Gee, I wonder if that $20 Tweezerman Pure Badger brush on Amazon is nicer than the one I’ve got?” It sure ain’t, but if you get the Tweezerman, and if you’re like me, you’ll be thinking, “Yeah, this brush is soft and makes a good lather, but I wonder…”

This has obviously gone on way too long. So despite this long and rather serious post I urge all of you not to take wet shaving too seriously, to have fun, and to do what pleases you, not what sounds the most complicated or promises the "best" results. Remember, there’s no Olympic event for shaving – YET.

Well said and good advice. I am starting to lean toward the minimialist way of thinking. I have used the same razor and same cream now for a week. I have cut my time on this site and ebay, and have noticed that my spending money is increasing in volume. There was a time I would actually have trouble falling asleep because I was debating whether or not to buy a certain type of cream.

This is so true.
One of the most interesting post I could read on the subject.
Thanks for sharing.

Great post, very well-written. It's obvious you spent a good amount of time writing that up!

I think somewhere on these forums I saw someone talk about the "stages" of a hobby, something like:

1. This hobby looks interesting.
2. I must try everything related to this hobby!
3. I have everything!
4. I need to simplify/start over from a new perspective!

Personally, I'm one of those people who will devour knowledge/products/etc. until I feel I have learned everything, and then I get extremely bored and move on. Through trial and error, I've learned to slllllooooowwww down step 2 in the above list, so that I can savor new things and enjoy the experience for a long time. After all, hobbies are most often about the EXPERIENCE, and not any kind of end result.

I'm about 2 months into DE shaving, and I still consider myself a newb. I've tried soap only once so far, and I only have one razor... it's exciting to think about how much there is still to try!

I'm another of those who has spent a goodly amount of time here since I started DE shaving. I shaved with a cartidge razor for a number of years, then switched to an electric "in the interest of saving time" and discovered that I got an essentially crappy shave, so I went back to the cartridge...

Then one day recently in Wally World, I happened to notice the VDH "brush, bowl, and soap" kit for cheap, and decided to give it a try. Shortlythereafter I was hooked on soaps, but was still using my Mach 3...

Then I started shopping for soaps of a different fragrance than the VDH, and settled on Susie's Bubbles N Squeak, 'cause the price looked right. Those soaps worked great with the Mach 3, but something was missing...

Then I discovered B&B, and along came my post on the Newbie forum asking about razors for the beginner. Shortly I had a bright shiny gold Tech in my hand, and the adventure began...

What I'm trying to say in this long-winded reply is this, I suppose: you are 100% right; this ain't brain surgery. You can go big, or go small, depending on your budget, etc. But however you go at it, go at with the idea that it's going to be fun, not work, and in the words of Joe in the movie Crossfire Trail, "If you slow down, you'll have a more harmonious outcome."

i'm to the point where i am just trying out new products i like my razor and brushes. Yes i have more than one brush my grandma bought me a kim son brush for christmas. Fine your happy place with it some guys have tons of razors and like 1 brush. The important thing i think is dont have more stuff than that can fit in your bathroom.:wink:

Outstanding dose of perspective.
It would probably be counter to your intention but I wonder if this could be added to the stickies?
Well done.

Great post. Couldn't have said it better myself....found myself shaking my head in agreement while reading the whole post...great advice.

I don't really think that limiting your setup when you start is competitive. It's just that there are so many variables when you are new, like blade angel, razor and blade types, prep and lather etc - so by sticking with the same setup you can better understand those factors and how you are doing.
Anyways to me at least it is more comforting, to keep you from getting overwhelmed.

This is a good post and makes a lot of good points. I have been using a DE for 3/4 months now and cannot agree more that shaving is a very personal thing and that generally speaking you should just do your own thing rather than blindly following others advice.

For example, there are nearly always new posts everyday asking about the number of shaves to a blade, whether flipping it helps etc but to me its one of those things that you can just try yourself in the comfort of your own bathroom. If you can happily get 6 shaves out of a derby (as I do) then do so. I found that out for myself as if I had followed most of the advice on here I’d have been binning them between 2-4. I can see now that pouring over pages and pages of advice about blade longevity is generally a waste of time because of YMMV.

Also when it comes to buying products I would say that by and large most of the products that get mentioned on here tend to be the same ones over and over again i.e. proraso, floid, speick, tabac, MWF etc. Not that there is anything wrong with this but its fair to say that the most mentioned products are the ones that everyone likes (with the exceptions of a few dissenters of course). So if you make a post asking if Proraso is good you will get 90% (IMO) of replies saying yes. Does it mean you should just stick to what is said here? No of course not. I also use a pharmacy own brand cream which I got for £0.22p in a sale which no one on here talks about but which I really like. Again YMMV.

I also agree with the OP in the sense that I don’t come on here everyday obsessing about shaving anyone. I still enjoy some of the threads but tend to skip through far more now because at the end of the day it is just shaving. Not having a dig but I do have a laugh to myself when I read posts asking about how hot the water should be, how do I hold a towel on my face, how do I get cream out of a tub etc. I mean these are not questions IMO that have to have a definitive must be followed guide, you just use your common sense and do what you do and what you are happy with.

I have found that a simple setup with a routine that varies very little works best for me.

I have nothing against others using a different cream everyday for a year, more power to them. I too started down that path, but quickly came to the realization that what led me to DE shaving was not a satisfaction issue, but a cost issue. I have always felt like I was getting [the raw end of the deal] whenever I bought shaving supplies.

A can of goo was setting me back $3, and recently was raised to $4. A pack of cartridges was setting me back anywhere from $8 to $15. All while seeing DE blades go for about $3. I have used a brush to apply gooinacan for years; I used less, and didn’t have to wash it off my hands, so it worked for me. I had learned to shave with a DE years ago, but the razors were lost in the shuffle of moving over the years. After a quick search for “safety razors”, I ended up here, and started getting sucked in to the ADs. I bought different razors, a sample pack of blades, and a sample pack of creams from T & H, along with a puck of Williams, a puck of VDH, and a bottle of KMF. I thought my brush was inadequate, I had been using an Eveready boar, so I bought a Tweezerman, and another Burma Boar brush. I was wrong, how much does one need to spend to slather some lather? My $5 brush is fine.

So, after experimenting, I have settled on a setup that works for me. I don’t change much, because change for the sake of change doesn’t make much sense to me. The journey has been fun, but I doubt I will be trying anything new, I know what works for me and am planning on sticking with it.

Good luck to all in finding their shave, it is worth it. This is a great sight, with a lot of good advice, but in the end you have to find your own shave that works for your own face.

Great post! Your are a brave man bearing your shaving soul.

The only small retort I have (and this is a YMMV issue) is the changing of variables in the shaving equation early on. As a newb myself, I have been making great progress getting better and betters shaves with my Merkur 38c. Recently a bout of RAD grabbed me and I bought 2 older Gillettes (beautiful pieces of shaving jewelry). I changed razors and got a less than adequate shave with additional nicks and cuts. Long story short (if that is possible at this point), based on my experience, it is best to limit changing what you shave with until your technique reaches a certain level of proficiency. At that point, a newb probably would not going through the mental contortions that you have gone through, having learned his particular shave implements and why a certain technique or shaving tool works the way it does. A deeper knowledge and experience breeds a more solid and well-grounded approach. Again, YMMV.

Great post. I also feel that limiting the variables in the beginning while learning is the best way to go, but to each his own. I really wish I had read this before purchasing my supplies though because what you said about buying a brush is unbelievably true. I have a Tweezerman and a VDH boar brush and think everyday how I wish I had just bought a really good brush from the start. Now I seesaw between thoughts of "it's only for lathering, I don't need anything special' to "let me look on ebay or the BST and see if I get super lucky and find something cheap." As of right now I'm too broke to do anything but stick with the cheap brushes so my mind is made up for me, but in the future this will haunt me again and I will again contemplate the Shavemacs and Rooneys and Savile Rows out there.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

I have only two razors, a superspeed and a Tech. I like them both now, and use whichever one strikes my fancy on any particular morning.

I worked backwards from a badger brush to a boar brush; I like the boar brush so much better that the badger has not been touched since the boar arrived. I don't think I'll need a "better" brush ever.

I can't help but tinker with creams and soaps. I like variety. What can I say?

But I agree that ultimately it's just a shave. I hope one day to be able to just expect a decent shave and the enjoyment thereof, without worrying about any other factors.

Top Bottom