What's new

A kind word of caution on an Ebay auction...

I'm not telling anyone not to bid, but I previously won this razor.

I think it is the only razor I have ever asked to return. It is currently relisted using this pic:
proxy.php

Here's what is wrong with it... The case has deep dents on it almost like someone chiseled it for some apparent reason. The lining inside is basically totally loose which is not a big deal b/c it can be glued back down. I almost fixed it before I returned the razor but I was pissed so I didn't.

The razor itself has one deep scratch going across both silo doors. One side of the teeth is badly brassed. The TTO has broken in that it unscrews fully out (same problem seen on many 30s US aristos). That isn't even the worst part though. When you push the knob up after it is unscrewed the silo doors don't open evenly or even easily. Something is bent somewhere.

In the end I would have probably kept the razor to try and fix it and use, but not at the price that was paid. The condition is seriously poor.

The seller was reluctant to offer a refund and made me explain to him in detail what is wrong with the razor. He finally agreed but I am still waiting on the funds to be returned.

Just trying to look out for you guys, don't want you to pay high and be dissapointed as I was. Best of luck! :badger:

The seller was reluctant to offer a refund and made me explain to him in detail what is wrong with the razor. He finally agreed but I am still waiting on the funds to be returned.

Did you not pay for the item via PayPal?

If you did, why did you bother with the seller at all? I only pay with PayPal, and if there is a problem (which there have been, of late) I first open a dispute with PayPal, and let them "shake the seller's tree". If a seller was enough of a scumbag to misrepresent an item with such major flaws, why did you think that he would be reasonable about refunding your money?

As you've described, there are more than enough "bad apples" in the ebaY "barrel" to go around, so the self-protection offered by PayPal is well worth it.

PS: I cannot believe that you didn't leave him negative feedback! Doing so is much better prevention for other potential buyers, than a posting on B&B.

Thanks for the head's up - also looks like the endcaps were missing.

I'm going to have some fun with this vendor...

His current description looks pretty accurate and honest to me and the picture shows everything... well, it does now I guess? The pic in your auction seems to be from the side which doesn't show many of the razors flaws.

"You are buying a Gillette Safety Razor with case. The razor was made in England by Gillette in the 1930's. The patten number is 430030. The metal case is lined with a maroon fabric and has dents. The razor is used, some wear on chrome and sometimes needs help to open fully. In the bottom is a hinged "holder". It holds the bottom of the razor when closed and may hold blades in the back. Please look at picture and make your own judgement. For more pictures, please send me your email address and I will send them out to you. The picture should answer most questions. Insurance is $1.70 for the first $50.00 of value, over $50.00, ask. Please read seller's payment instructions ."

Just asked him whether he thought the rasor was usable - he said he considered it usable.

I asked about the missing endcaps - he didn't know what endcaps were.

I've replied to his answer about the razor being usable by asking if he had actually tried it out - no answer.

So, a dishonest seller to be avoided - thanks for bringing this guy to our attention.

Thanks for the head's up - also looks like the endcaps were missing.

I'm going to have some fun with this vendor...

The 30's Aristocrats didn't have endcaps. They were also prone to misalignment, which is a shame since they are such a beautiful razor. I am working on a gold version at this time.

The 30's Aristocrats didn't have endcaps. They were also prone to misalignment, which is a shame since they are such a beautiful razor.

Ooops - my bad on the endcaps.

In response to my question, about whether he had actually tried to use the razor, he blocked me from bidding on his auctions.

Even though I'm wrong about the endcaps, I'm right about this guy being a vendor to avoid.

Ooops - my bad on the endcaps.

In response to my question, about whether he had actually tried to use the razor, he blocked me from bidding on his auctions.

Even though I'm wrong about the endcaps, I'm right about this guy being a vendor to avoid.

Oh, I agree with that for sure. :wink:

That's fine... I guess we see it differently.

I just don't think a seller can keep a 100% positive feedback rating of over 1000 being a crook, even the poster wasn't saying not to buy from him - just giving more detail about the razors condition.

The seller even updated the photo to show the damage mentioned.

That's all I'm saying I guess... I could be wrong, it's almost happened once before ;)

That's fine... I guess we see it differently.

I just don't think a seller can keep a 100% positive feedback rating of over 1000 being a crook, even the poster wasn't saying not to buy from him - just giving more detail about the razors condition.

The seller even updated the photo to show the damage mentioned.

That's all I'm saying I guess... I could be wrong, it's almost happened once before ;)

Ebay feedback is virtually meaningless these days.

The fact that he's relisted the item before refunding the money says something.

How do you know if someone has blocked you from bidding on an auction? Do you get a message when they block you or is it that you just can't bid? Thanks.

Also what bothered me was his use of language. He said the razor "sometimes needs help" when he should have said ALWAYS.

I once got blocked by a seller and I only found out when I tried to bid on his auction. I asked him a simple question regarding his razor, he shot back an answer that was a little snappy - I decided to bid anyway and saw that I had been blocked. Which really pissed me off, so I sent the seller an email letting him know that his rudeness shocked me. I never got a reply.

Thanks for the heads up. Plenty of good sellers on ebay. I see no need to patronize those who have been found to be less than forthright. I'll put this guy on my "avoid" list.

Top Bottom