What's new

220v Lathes

OK, so I'm living in Germany now, (when I'm not deployed) and I've been looking to find something to occupy my time between fests and I'm thinking that woodturning could be it. Brush making would be a bonus side effect of that. I've gone and read quite a few reviews on some lathes, and it sounds like either the Delta 46-460 or the Jet 12x21 seem to get the best overall reviews. A little more expensive than some other options, but good reviews none the less... My problem, is they're 110v. I need to find something that is either dual voltage or straight 220v. Any ideas where to look? I've tried Amazon, Sears, Home Depot, etc. (at least their websites) but I can't seem to find anything that will take the increased voltage. I'd really rather not plug them into a power converter because of the Hz difference. 50 vs 60 hertz. I know it's not good for cheap alarm clocks and they'll lose time, so I figure plugging a 500-1000 dollar machine into one is a bad idea too. Any thoughts?

The Germans are quite handy with this sort of thing. I'd be looking at what the locals use rather than shipping something.

I'm sure you can get a 220V machine up to your spec. How ever a decent 220 to 110 converter should do the trick. The issue with the alarm clocks is that the change in frequency causes their occilator to operate differently and thus run slower. You may lose a few rpm but it shouldn't be anything drastic.

Regards
Dave

You live in the home of mechanical engineering, and consider shipping something from abroad? ;)

If you don't want to spend the money on a new lathe, why don't you look for online ads of 2nd hand machines? Or place an inquiry?

Hey I'm in Germany too! Where you at - PM if you want. There are some resources around that might be available depending on where you are.

Top Bottom