What's new

1st rescale (Helma blade)

My first attempt at a rescale. This was an ebay find that I sent to Glen (gssixgun) for honing. He generously gave the blade a little polish as well. Scales are stained mahogany. Microfasteners holding it together (I'll probably pin it eventually, I just wanted to get pics up). Polyurethane finish. Spacer is natural mahogany, but you can't see it as I'm working on my razor pr0n technique and can't seem to get good focus on an end shot. One pic shows the blade better, one the scales. I guess this would be softcore razor pr0n and any tips on improving both the scale work and my photography would be greatly appreciated.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It shaves very nicely. Glen honed it, so I know I'm working with a quality edge and was extremely careful with the fitting so as not to mess with the edge. I got lucky on the balance as I hadn't even thought of it in my deign of the scales. Fortunately my wider wedge end made up for the extra weight of a metal original wedge and it balances nicely. I'm not that many straight shaves in, but it feels good in the hand.

Like the shape and the grain/texture of the wood. Very nice and a heck of lot better than my first attempt. :thumbup1:

One piece of feedback. Move your pivot pin in slightly, around 3/8-1/4 inch from the end of the scale. The wood is very thin where the pin is, so it may (or it may not) be a splitting issue in the future. Keep it up!!

Good point. It started off rounder at the pivot, but I thought it would look better with the angle. Of course that was at the price of less material at the pivot end and I couldn't really move it in any further at that point. We'll see what happens over time.

Top Bottom