Items by ouch

I haven't written a review in the longest time. I think there is an air of impropriety when a moderator opines on a product, lest someone place too much weight on a subjective review written by some knucklehead. Still, I'm a consumer; a hard to please one at that. SCS provides some of the best bargains in the business. Their splashes and balms are first rate, and are as good as products on the market costing four times as much. The new sandalwood cream is a welcome addition to their...
This is one nice big slab of sharpening stone- 8x3x1 on a wooden base. Why wood? It may look traditional, but plastic is a better choice for something that gets soaked in water (this stone only needs to soak a minute or two). The Kitayama (North mountain) is sometimes advertised at 12K, but it's an 8K. It's one of the best polish stones available, and puts on a beautiful shine. As nice as the Naniwa 10K? It's a toss up for me. One of the things I enjoy most about this stone is the...
Man o' Manischewitz. These Penhaligon's creams sure are something. The price borders on the brutal, no matter how hard I attempt to justify it, but they deliver an all encompassing experience that makes seeking them out worthwhile. The Opus 1870 is based on one of their classic scents, and translates very well into a cream, something not always the case with cologne based creams. If you enjoy the scent, you'll love the cream. Price- But honey, it's ten dollars cheaper than the...
ouch
0.65 star(s) 23 ratings
Views
Reviews
Don't go by the numbers. Despite the lack of chatter on this product, it is just about the best after shave I've tried. The burn is not bad at all for an alcohol based splash, and it leaves my face with a unique, supple feeling. Smells wonderful- better than many sandalwood colognes. Harris sure can make 'em. Price- I paid $27 at Pasteur's, but I think it retails for a bit more. Not cheap by any means, but you're not getting ripped off, given the quality. Quality- Super duper. As good as...
I'm not a fan of many contemporary combinations. Red wine and fish. Avocado with everything. Nouvelle "foam" sauces. Nope. Give me the real thing every time, and I'll be happy. So who had the bright idea of combining orange and sandalwood? Penhaligon? You've got to be kidding! Did they pull it off? Kind of. Price- You know the drill. You won't find this at CVS. Quality- One comes to expect a certain level of quality from companies such as Penhaligon's, and, in this regard...
If $30 is a lot for a cream, as in the case of a 150g tube of Blenheim Bouquet, then $40 is surely "hide from the wife" territory. The extra sawbuck does get you a lovely, silver plated tub that will be ideal for holding the pencils you'll be selling when she kicks you out. Price- $40 per tub. Pretty much says it all, yet I don't consider it at all unreasonable, given the quality. Quality- Looks impressive, and is. Scent- Fans of the BB cologne will love this one. Instant class in a...
When the horde of visigoths plunder my shave stash, this is the first one I'll be replacing. It shaves like a dream, and the scent is one of the best I've encountered in a cream. Hard to find any fault at all with this, save the plastic tube. See below. Price- $30? Oofah, but at least you get a healthy sized 150g tube. You didn't think Penhaligon's would be giving it away, didya? That price puts it in the very highest tier, but not as bad as CF or some others. Hard to call it a...
ouch
0.59 star(s) 165 ratings
Views
Reviews
Believe it or not, my very first DE shave was with a Feather blade, in a surprisingly crappy Feather DE razor. What the hell was I thinking? Got a great, BBS shave right off the bat without a nick. Unfortunately, ensuing shaves had my ever-supportive wife asking "What's par for your face?" Funny thing was, I didn't feel a thing. They say the same about getting bit by a piranha (serrasalmus nattereri)- so sharp you don't feel the cut. Sure, they're sharp, but they're not the terrors they're...
Top Bottom