What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

I didn't forget them, I just named the three that come in injector packages. Most folks don't reload the B-20s.

Huh, that's interesting, most of my Nacets (and Perma-Sharps) compe in unprinted white paper. Is there some vintage or reason that some do and some don't?
Fair enough, I figure a lot of people don’t want to mess with the B-20s from having to load their own.

On your Nacets, they must be older. I believe they switched somewhere around 2020-2021 to the printed packaging. I don’t think any of my Permasharps have printing but I haven’t purchased any in a couple years.

If you buy GSBs they also just started having printing on them if you get a newer batch but most places are still shipping the older ones.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I didn't forget them, I just named the three that come in injector packages. Most folks don't reload the B-20s.

Huh, that's interesting, most of my Nacets (and Perma-Sharps) compe in unprinted white paper. Is there some vintage or reason that some do and some don't?
I have no idea... All the tucks I've opened are printed, but I haven't opened all the tucks to check. <eg>

The Perma-Sharps I've opened all have plain white paper like yours.

Were the Permasharps just on sale again this week? I must have missed it. I’d like to stock up on some more myself even though they aren’t my favorite perhaps I’ll find a certain razor that prefers them in the future.

Phoenix, I don’t blame ya for tossing them after a single use if that’s your results. Certain blades decline much faster then others. Most blades are good on the 2nd shave for me but certain ones have a little bit of decline. By the 3rd shave it’s much more noticeable depending on the blade but most of my favorites are still good for me.

If I wanted to get peaks performance out of every blade I’d likely bin them after the 2nd shave. But from memory I think the Astra SP decline a bit after the 1st shave even though I could push them to 3-4 shaves and find them a great blade overall.

Your beard must be extremely coarse since mine is on the coarser side and I don’t have issues on the 2nd shave with most blades. It would be nice to have a way to gauge beard coarseness and skin sensitivity since it seems like most people here have a coarse beard with sensitive skin. I’d say my skin is slightly sensitive and my beard coarser then average but I don’t go around rubbing other guys faces.

Yes they were on sale on Amazonia. Seems like it’s a once a month type deal

The PPI hoarding I mentioned recently... 2 different suppliers. The bagged ones were from SafetyRazorPlace off Amazon.

300 Gillette Silver Blue
300 Gillette Perma-Sharp

I'd preferred that all the stock came in the white plastic bags for preservation since I won't be digging in these anytime soon.

IMG_20240508_082139179.jpg
IMG_20240508_082315950.jpg

The PPI hoarding I mentioned recently... 2 different suppliers. The bagged ones were from SafetyRazorPlace off Amazon.

300 Gillette Silver Blue
300 Gillette Perma-Sharp

I'd preferred that all the stock came in the white plastic bags for preservation since I won't be digging in these anytime soon.

View attachment 1842721View attachment 1842722
When you open those up in 30 years you’ll find FlyDears or Derby’s :biggrin1:

I like the idea of the blades being sealed up as well and I’m sure they’re Permas since they're labeled and from a reliable source but I’d still have to check myself.

Go buy a pack of gallon zip-lok bags at Wally World the thicker freezer type you have to pinch to seal instead of the actual zip ones and you can seal all of your blades this way and see what’s inside.

They fit great in the gallon sizes. Usually I do about 300 blades per zip lock bag but if you put the blades side by side you can easily fit 600 of most blades in each baggie.

I also use a sharpie on the outside of the bag to label what’s inside and the date of Manufacturer if it’s listed on the tucks and the year I purchased them and from what location which makes it easier to identify separate batches when I dig through them.

I went a little overboard, here are my recent 100 blade acquisitions.

400 - Perma-sharp
300 - Astra SS
200 - Nacet
150 - Wizamet Super Iridium
100 - GSB
100 - BIC Chrome
100 - Wilkinson Sword (Saloon pack)

With the previous 100's of Feathers, Wilkinson (German), Personna Comfort Coated, Astra SP plus a box of random blades.
I think I'm all set for a few years.

Now for the BIG WHY???
Bigger sample size of blade samplers. :jump:

IMG_9037.jpeg

Last edited:
Huh, thanks...So, am I to infer these blades at some point had manufacturing issues: poor production quality? Is that
It's been awhile, but the two sides were ground different and they just shipped them. I remember somebody buying several hundred and having to throw every single one out. With them getting rarer, I worry that these will resurface and the seller will claim that it's user error. We had something similar happen with Israeli Personnas last year where reportedly dross blades escaped the plant. At least with that one, the seller was in Israel and the plant closed several years previous so a bit of due diligence was possible. With these, we don't really know what we are getting nor how many of the defective ones are in the supply chain. For what it's worth, I like these blades and have some, but failed to stock up and gave up before that unfortunate incident in Ukraine even. Gillette Wilkinson Swords are as good or better and I have several hundred of the CN made ones and some IN made ones.

It's been awhile, but the two sides were ground different and they just shipped them. I remember somebody buying several hundred and having to throw every single one out. With them getting rarer, I worry that these will resurface and the seller will claim that it's user error. We had something similar happen with Israeli Personnas last year where reportedly dross blades escaped the plant. At least with that one, the seller was in Israel and the plant closed several years previous so a bit of due diligence was possible. With these, we don't really know what we are getting nor how many of the defective ones are in the supply chain. For what it's worth, I like these blades and have some, but failed to stock up and gave up before that unfortunate incident in Ukraine even.
Thank you for taking the time to provide clarification.

Top Bottom