What's new

Att se1

I caved, and bought the SE1 head for my Atlas handle. Got some Feather Pro blades as well. Ive never used a single edge razor before, but I do own the M1, R1, H1, R2, H2 and S2 on an atlas handle

I received the SE1 on Thursday and I am now on my third shave with it, it's a small learning curve but and my first shave was deceptively smooth and close, it was until I dried down that I went... Wow

I am also a head shaver, and I can officially say these past few days have been the best shaves of my life. So efficient and smooth, I hadn't read any reviews for head shaving yet so I wasn't sure, well let me say it's an AWESOME head shaver, and makes quick work of it

I do three passes, WTG, Across the grain, and against the grain. And so far it's given me the closest and smoothest shaves I've ever had.

The craftsmanship of the head is a work of art (as all ATT) and I love the feel the Atlas handle, it's a mini hammer

Overall I am impressed and the SE1 has quickly become my everyday shaver replacing the H1.

Last edited:
The ATT SE1 is a an absolutely outstanding razor. It's everything that the Mongoose should have been but failed to deliver. I have the SE1, a King Cobra and a Mongoose. I've tried the Classic Cobra razor as well but preferred the King Cobra to it. I have a lot of other ATT razors as well including the M1, R1, H1, R2, and H2 and prefer the SE1 over all of those due to the sharpness and efficiency of the Feather Pro style blades.

The only thing I don't like about the SE1 is the ATT Bamboo handle. It's way too small of a handle to pair with the larger SE1 razor head. It just feels like a toy with this handle. I don't like the handle at all, not even with my other ATT heads. The Goliath handle would probably be a better match than the bamboo one but I haven't tried it. I paired it with a Kronos handle and it was better but still lacking something, the weight was there but not the size. I tried the larger handle from my BBS-1 razor and it was much better but still not a perfect match. I've since replaced it with a Jurgen Hempel Titanium Goliath handle and it's a absolute perfect combination for this razor. The handle is quite large but because it's titanium it's still light enough to not overpower the larger SE1 head.

As far as the Mongoose vs. the SE1 goes, forget about it, the ATT beats the Mongoose in every single category. It's not even close.

As far as the ATT vs. the King Cobra goes, that one's a much closer battle. Both are outstanding shavers (after a little getting used to) and both deliver in two passes what it normally takes three to get from a de razor. Three passes with the SE1 will give you a really close, very comfortable, perfect shave. When you consider the ability to change handles, the lower price and overall better workmanship the ATT is a better razor than the King Cobra razor I've been reaching for about 75% of the time this past year.

Yeah, you should get one.

Last edited:
The ATT SE1 is a an absolutely outstanding razor. It's everything that the Mongoose should have been but failed to deliver. I have the SE1, a King Cobra and a Mongoose. I've tried the Classic Cobra razor as well but preferred the King Cobra to it. I have a lot of other ATT razors as well including the M1, R1, H1, R2, and H2 and prefer the SE1 over all of those due to the sharpness and efficiency of the Feather Pro style blades.

The only thing I don't like about the SE1 is the ATT Bamboo handle. It's way too small of a handle to pair with the larger SE1 razor head. It just feels like a toy with this handle. I don't like the handle at all, not even with my other ATT heads. The Goliath handle would probably be a better match than the bamboo one but I haven't tried it. I paired it with a Kronos handle and it was better but still lacking something, the weight was there but not the size. I tried the larger handle from my BBS-1 razor and it was much better but still not a perfect match. I've since replaced it with a Jurgen Hempel Titanium Goliath handle and it's a absolute perfect combination for this razor. The handle is quite large but because it's titanium it's still light enough to not overpower the larger SE1 head.

As far as the Mongoose vs. the SE1 goes, forget about it, the ATT beats the Mongoose in every single category. It's not even close.

As far as the ATT vs. the King Cobra goes, that one's a much closer battle. Both are outstanding shavers (after a little getting used to) and both deliver in two passes what it normally takes three to get from a de razor. Three passes with the SE1 will give you a really close, very comfortable, perfect shave. When you consider the ability to change handles, the lower price and overall better workmanship the ATT is a better razor than the King Cobra razor I've been reaching for about 75% of the time this past year.

Sorry but I don't agree with you
Have you tried the Mongoose SS v2 (the new one)
I have it and the ATT SE1, and the Mongoose is by far the better one
yes, build quality is better in the ATT, but the Mongoose just a little more aggressive and shave better (at least for me)

yes, build quality is better in the ATT, but the Mongoose just a little more aggressive and shave better (at least for me)
Wait, there's a v2 for the stainless one already? I'm kinda lost with all the different Mongoose versions. I hope there would be list, but at this point I can barely tell the difference between all the models. It feels more like inconsistencies between different batches.

There is definitely a V2 Mongoose, and it is not just a different batch. They took the changes that were made on the Alumigoose 2 (narrower lighter head, handle mounted further toward back) and applied them to the stainless steel Mongoose.

They may have made some other changes different from the Alumigoose, as the Alumigoose 2 is a very mild razor.

I haven't tried the new SS Mongoose, being completely satisfied with my SE1, but it is definitely different from earlier versions. The usual retailers currently have it in stock.

--Bob

There is definitely a V2 Mongoose, and it is not just a different batch. They took the changes that were made on the Alumigoose 2 (narrower lighter head, handle mounted further toward back) and applied them to the stainless steel Mongoose.

They may have made some other changes different from the Alumigoose, as the Alumigoose 2 is a very mild razor.

I haven't tried the new SS Mongoose, being completely satisfied with my SE1, but it is definitely different from earlier versions. The usual retailers currently have it in stock.

--Bob
Good to know. Thanks for the info! I'm also quite happy with the SE1, so I stopped trying to keep up with what's what.

Loaded with a feather pro guard and got an excellent shave. Makes me feel guilty not reaching for my straight razors more often.
$image.jpg

Tonight I tried to remove a blade from my ATT SE1 and I had a very difficult time. The blade was dry but it would not come out. Stan does need to address this problem. It is a problem.

Ok, go ahead and ask me if I'm going to pay $179 to purchase yet another version of the razor that I already own.

I think if there were a groove near the blade back end you could remove it more easily. Right now the blade is very hard to remove.

I got mine a few days ago. I already had some Feather professional super blades, and found them rather harsh with a lot of irritation. I had orders some of the professional standard blades, and tried one this morning and much smoother.

Tonight I tried to remove a blade from my ATT SE1 and I had a very difficult time. The blade was dry but it would not come out. Stan does need to address this problem. It is a problem.

I usually just go for the back corner of the blade with a fingernail to pop it up. If that doesn't work then I'll look for something else to get under it with and pry it up. It seems to be a problem when a new blade is first put in. I take the blade out and clean the razor after every use so after a couple shaves the blade seems to pop in and out a little easier.

I suspect that any slack here would allow the blade to move around which is something that we don't want to happen. But you're right that it can be difficult sometimes.

I usually just go for the back corner of the blade with a fingernail to pop it up. If that doesn't work then I'll look for something else to get under it with and pry it up. It seems to be a problem when a new blade is first put in. I take the blade out and clean the razor after every use so after a couple shaves the blade seems to pop in and out a little easier.

I suspect that any slack here would allow the blade to move around which is something that we don't want to happen. But you're right that it can be difficult sometimes.

Hello,
The post blade issue on some of the SE1 caps has not gone unnoticed. Please note this was not a problem for all SE1 caps just a few. The pins has been reworked and the variation seems to be resolved.

Thank you for your input.

As far as the ATT vs. the King Cobra goes, .... When you consider the ability to change handles, the lower price and overall better workmanship the ATT is a better razor than the King Cobra razor I've been reaching for about 75% of the time this past year.

Thanks David - this one looks inevitable!!!

Hello,
The post blade issue on some of the SE1 caps has not gone unnoticed. Please note this was not a problem for all SE1 caps just a few. The pins has been reworked and the variation seems to be resolved.

Thank you for your input.
Can you explain more about the nature of the variation?

Makes me feel guilty not reaching for my straight razors more often.

I was thinking the same thing. The SE1 is not quite as close as using the same blade with my feather artist club, but it's better than any other DE and within striking of a straight/shavette with less fuss and danger.

Top Bottom