What's new

My Guess... 3017

When I take a whiff of Haslinger Schafmilch I immediately detect a top note of great lather followed by a base note of a successful shave, with a lingering scent of zero irritation.
I love the smell of Schafmilch in the morning. :thumbup1:

A few OK shaves from Stirling Lemoney Orange sample, but its time to move on.

Brand / Scent / S.E.F. (1 poor - 5 excellent)

Czech & Speake / Oxford & Cambridge / 5
Haslinger / Schafmilch / 5
Mikes / Barbershop / 4
Mikes / Rose and Cedarwood / 4
Mikes / Orange, Cedar, Black Pepper / 4
B&M / Fougere Aromatique / 4
Proraso Cream / Blue / 4
Simpsons Luxury Cream / Vanilla & Rose / 4
Valobra Soft Soap / Almond / 3
Harris Cream / Arlington / 3
RR / Fines American Blend / 3
Proraso Cream / Red / 3
TOBS Cream / Lavender / 3
Cella / 3
Xpec Cream / Original & Unscented / 3
Proraso Cream / Green / 2
Institut Karite Cream / regular / 2
Col Conk / Bay Rum / 2
Stirling Lemony / Orange / 2
Stirling / SDM / 2
Stirling / Lime / 2
PannaCrema / Mystery Sample / 2
B&M / Nocturne / 1 (allergic reaction)
TOBS Soap "new" / Sandalwood / 1
Williams / regular / 1

Up next, the random number generator picked Mikes Peppermint which is fine with me because its my last partial soap that I want to 3017. Samples gone...by the end of July partial soaps will be gone. The 3017 journey continues. Honestly it feels good to have the samples and partials out of the way.

I'm on to my last tub of Strop Shoppe. It's been a decent run but I'm not going to rush out and get more any time soon.

24 May 2013 - 22 June 2013: DR Harris Arlington

23 June 2013 - 18 July 2013: DR Harris Arlington/CO Bigelow
19 July 2013 - 22 July 2013: SCS Bay Rum sample
23 July 2013 – 26 July 2013: Barrister and Mann Seville sample
27 July 2013 – 3 September 2013: RR KotC Lime
4 September 2013 – 27 September 2013: Stirling Anise
28 September 2013 – 30 September 2013: Stirling Lavender Sage sample
1 October 2013 – 15 October 2013: RazoRock Chianti Lavender
16 October 2013 – 7 November 2013: RazoRock XXX
8 November 2013 – 9 December 2013: 2 grated La Toja sticks
10 December 2013 – 28 December 2013: Stirling Scot's Pine
29 December 2013 – 7 January 2014: DR Harris Windsor (paused)
8 January 2014 – 31 January 2014: Proraso Red/Synergy Cavendish(paused)
1 February 2014 – 3 April 2014: DR Harris Windsor (resumed)
4 April 2014 – 14 April 2014: RR Boston Tea Party
15 April 2014 – 17 April 2014: SCS Fairway
18 April 2014 – 21 May 2014: Speick
22 May 2014 – 24 May 2014: B&M Solstice sample
25 May 2014 – 30 May 2014: Strop Shoppe Rosemary Mint
31 May 2014 – 12 June 2014: Mike's OCBP
13 June 2014 – 22 June 2014: CF Lime
23 June 2014 – 9 July 2014: PannaCrema Namaste
10 July 2014 – 23 July 2014: PannaCrema Fumo di Londra (paused)
24 July 2014 – 20 September 2014: Palmolive and HTGAM Barberpole
21 September 2014 – 27 September 2014: Mike's Barbershop
28 September 2014 – 6 October 2014: PannaCrema Fumo di Londra(resumed)
7 October 2014 – 5 November 2014: Razorock Mudder Focker
6 November 2014 – 3 December 2014: Proraso Red (resumed)
4 December 2014 – 23 December 2014: Haslinger Sandelholz
24 December 2014 – 25 December 2014: XPEC sample
26 December 2014 – 31 December 2014: Proraso Blue
1 January 2015 – 2 February 2015: Strop Shoppe Alpine Frost
3 February 2015 – 26 February 2015: Strop Shoppe London Morning
27 February 2015 – 22 April 2015: Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe
23 April 2015 – 2 July 2015: Strop Shoppe Peppermint
3 July 2015 - ??: Strop Shoppe Black Tie

Used Haslinger for the first time this morning. I got a good lather and a good shave. Can be improved. I wonder if my new Silvertip is just too soft. I had to load between passes again. Maybe this is just a cream brush. Tomorrow I'll use the Duke.

Used Haslinger for the first time this morning. I got a good lather and a good shave. Can be improved. I wonder if my new Silvertip is just too soft. I had to load between passes again. Maybe this is just a cream brush. Tomorrow I'll use the Duke.

My personal experience with Haslinger is that it likes a wet brush. I use Haslinger as a mug soap and lather on the puck, for the most part, in my Old Spice mug. I use it up faster this way, but it's totally worth it. Best lathers I've ever produced.

I'm still using my Palmolive stick. I've used Cade and RR SMDF on the occasional day, but nearly always Palmolive lately.

Cella this morning. Great shave besides a bit of razor burn (my fault, was in too much of a hurry).

Last edited:
I deviated twice from Dr. Jon's in as many days.

Thursday I had a second interview for a new position. I didn't want to risk the couple weepers I've been having lately so broke out the AoS-tallow Unscented and superlathered it with the tiniest bit of Mystic Waters that I have left. I was going sans aftershave and wanted the added skincare from MW. It worked fantastically. I only wish I had brought out a better blade for the shave.

Then this morning I was in a hotel with the family (we stayed last night after the interview to swim/play). Used La Toja and an unknown age 3-blade disposable from my wife's travel kit. Yes, yikes. It wasn't terrible though, and LT is literally superb so it went quite well. I can see why the guys that use old 2-blade carts like them, incredibly maneuverable. Might have to try an injector yet one of these days. I had forgotten my DE when packing the kit and could have skipped shaving, but had the time and opportunity so just went for it. Will see if my skin pays for it tomorrow.

Happy 4th to all of us Americans!

My Palmolive is in a ceramic mug so for a trip I took a red tub of Cella. It smells great but the lather didn't hold up to my Palmolive. I won't write it off until I 3017 it, also I was using my travel synthetic which doesn't hold as much water so the Marco method wasn't necessarily working to full potential.

After almost two weeks of use here is my impressions of RazoRock One X. As you know, I am a big fan of Italian soft soaps, and the RR soaps are some of my favorites. One X performs just like most of the RR do for me. Makes a nice thick, slick lather with just the right amount of cushion (don't get me wrong, they come nowhere close to my bench mark Valobra soap),but for me the standout here is the scent. This is one of the AdP Blue Mediterranean scents and it is just wonderful. If you want a nice, easy to lather soap with a wonderful scent, then this is for you.
By the way, the One X AS is a perfect match and is just wonderful too.

I decided to try XXX again with the Duke 2 in best. I loaded for a long time and added no water to a squeezed brush and had a decent lather. Good shave with the Voskhod and R89. Reloaded after second pass for a third ATG.

This stuff really leaves the skin dry. I used aftershave and a moisturizer and it's still a little itchy. Love the scent but the shaves aren't great.

There is only a lumpy smear of Boellis left in the bottom of the bowl, but given how much lather I get from a 7 second load, I'm not sure when the last shave with it will be. My best guess is sometime next week. Regardless, the lathers with this soap are outstanding.

How many of you guys have spent an extended time 3017'ing samples? I've been doing that since I finished off my last full sized product. I'm finding it rather unrewarding, especially the cream samples which I get 3-4 shaves and then it's over. All I know at that point is if I like the scent.

How many of you guys have spent an extended time 3017'ing samples? I've been doing that since I finished off my last full sized product. I'm finding it rather unrewarding, especially the cream samples which I get 3-4 shaves and then it's over. All I know at that point is if I like the scent.

I did a post on mine - it took a while. Then I went back to Garry and got a few more, plus trades came in. :blushing:

Now Im back down to one soap sample. I still have quite a few AS samples but I'm not so worried about those.

Last edited:

I'm not a fan of samples. They serve a purpose I suppose, but I never find the same performance or scent level that is in a full size puck. On the other hand, they do tell me if a product has a scent I cannot tolerate. My samples are finally gone. As more roll in I will probably take a whiff of them through the package and them PIF them.

I did a post on mine - it took a while. Then I went back to Garry and got a few more, plus trades came in. :blushing:

Now Im back down to one soap sample. I still have quite a few AS samples but I'm not so worried about those.

Cool idea. I was considering spending the rest of 2015 burning through samples. I may do something similar and document.

Last edited:
Yesterdays shave with Mikes peppermint and rosemary was excellent as expected. I expected some cooling effect from the peppermint, but its more than I had thought. Very nice surprise. I dug out a couple items I haven't used in a while. An old Tech and a WD Silvertip brush. I know WD makes an inexpensive brush and the quality of the knot can be hit or miss at times, but I hit with mine. Its a 24mm set at 48mm loft. I had forgotten how soft the tips are with just the right amount of density for me so that I have decent flow without it being a lather hog. For the money its a darn nice brush. I used the WD to puck lather Mikes...took about 20 seconds. Some mild face lathering and I was good to go, 4 passes.

I'm doing that right now - just to clear them out of inventory. It's kind of fun doing something different every third or fourth day but I can see that I'll be chomping at the bit to get back to full pucks within a couple or three weeks.

Top Bottom