What's new

Gillette Old type as daily driver?

I was given a Gillette Old Type which has a ball-end and is open-comb. It seems to have survived quite well for many decades.

Does anyone use this as a daily razor? I'm thinking that it could be a little aggressive. But is it any good? I need some reviews on it

I know I use it. It's a great razor and since it entered my rotation, I find myself reaching for it more often than I do my stainless steel razors. In fact, I bought myself a NEW SC and LC to try and compare the shaves.

However, if you do find it too aggressive, then no amount of opinion or reviews will change that fact for you.

Merepekking hit the nail on the head. It's very subjective when it comes to razors. You need to find what's best for you and you do that by trying. When I first started DE shaving I bought a new no name razor from China and I inherited a old Gillette tech around the same time. I did not like the tech at all at the time but since my technique has improved I love my tech and have since acquired an additional 8 vintage Gillettes that I use on a regular basis.

I use the Old Types often in my rotation. A shallow angle is best for me (blade as flat as possible to the skin).
I could quite easily find myself using just these razors. I enjoy others just for variety and fun. Keep trying with the razor if you don't get on with it at first. It took me a while to find the best technique.

What you're describing sounds like my no-serial number old type (should be about 1921-1929 production) with a patent date of Jan 13, 1920.

I'm waiting for better light after sun-up to take some pics and post. It could end up being my King Gillette weekend shaver.

I agree with this. Give the Old a whirl. You'll like it.

I use the Old Types often in my rotation. A shallow angle is best for me (blade as flat as possible to the skin).
I could quite easily find myself using just these razors. I enjoy others just for variety and fun. Keep trying with the razor if you don't get on with it at first. It took me a while to find the best technique.

Here's mine:

proxy.php

I'll be firing it up for a shave tomorrow. I've never used it since buying. Time for a road test!

Hi,

I wound up with my OT when I had been shaving only three years, when my Grandfather passed away. It is a silver plated 3pc Thin Cap with serial number which dates it to 1921.

Back then, it was a rip my face off unusable razor. As the years passed, I kept revisiting it as my main daily driver razors changed. I eventually figured out I could use it for touching up the rough spots after about 10 years of shaving. Now, after 39 years of shaving I can use it for a two-pass (WTG, ATG) DFS every day. This being a case of my skills being honed (pun intended) more than anything, I think.

Mostly, though, I opt for that two pass (WTG, ATG) DFS using a Fasan Double Slant. I reserve the OT for a third pass ATG, after using the Fasan WTG and XTG (note the pass change up for the Fasan when I opt for a 3 pass shave). This is how I go for BBS. But, not every day, as it takes more time. BBS only gains me 2 additional hours to The Shadow over DFS. So, I save the BBS for those days when I know I need those extra couple of hours.

Some days I shave a second time in the late afternoon / early evening. I use the OT for one WTG pass for this situation.

But, even after 39 years of shaving, two passes with the OT is still a little irritating. The Double Slant does not do that. So, this is why I reserve the OT for one pass. One pass is not irritating.

Oh, and the only razor I find shaves closer than Grandpa's OT is my other Grandfather's straight razor. ;)

Stan

Okay, I was going to wait until tomorrow but as usual, these threads get me Jonesing to try a new razor, and in typical fashion I broke down and loaded a brand new GSB in the Old.

Could be just me but I was not at all impressed with the shave my Old delivered. VERY aggressive and unforgiving.

Contrast this to last weekend when I used my LC New and got spectacularly close and smooth shaves. Why the difference? I don't know.

New is in, Old is out!

Have a 20s Old Type I don't care for much. Harsh and difficult to get a BBS out of. Have an older Single Ring that I prefer, though it too is far from my favorite. I do like my NEW LC, Micromatic OC, R-41, etc., so I do like aggressive razors, just the early Gillettes I find too harsh to enjoy.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I tried mine for the first time the other day. It was a bit agresive for my tastes. But I received a close shave with very little irritation. I was pleased and will use it again. I am predominantly a mild shaver, using db89 derivatives and super speeds. And I had no issue with the Old. I have a pre war fat tech that gives me more irritation than my Old.

Okay, I was going to wait until tomorrow but as usual, these threads get me Jonesing to try a new razor, and in typical fashion I broke down and loaded a brand new GSB in the Old.

Could be just me but I was not at all impressed with the shave my Old delivered. VERY aggressive and unforgiving.

Contrast this to last weekend when I used my LC New and got spectacularly close and smooth shaves. Why the difference? I don't know.

New is in, Old is out!

Could it be that shaving early and thus not having as much growth as usual contributed to a harsh shave?

I've been an Old Type user for years. There are certainly other razors I like, new and old, but the daily driver is an Old Type. I prefer the thin cap single rings, but the thick cap 20's version is outstanding for me as well. It works well with several blade types, gives a close shave, and presents much feedback (though many might not like the feedback).

My daily driver - 20's Old Type head with an Avincenty Single Ring handle:

proxy.php

Top Bottom