What's new

Howdy from Texas

I bought an eBay Chinese junk DE razor for less than two dollars about a year ago just to edge up my beard. I had my father's two DE's but in one of the moves they "disappeared" Not sure if it was due to my wife or sticky fingers. Sadly, they can never be replaced even if they can be rebought. Lots of sentimental value as dad has been gone many years and that is all I had of his. Additionally, it is sad to find out one was what is called a "fatboy." Alas, can't go back in time.

I never had any success with dad's razor when I was younger nor the ebay junker. I was using dollar store blade and each shave session was like filming a horror movie. Fast forward.... to two weeks ago. I got fed up with the beard. I went to Walmart found a puck of VDH shave soap, VDH blades, and Shave Secret pre-shave oil. Made my way around town and found the only shave brush in town at Sally's Beauty supply and a "world' best father" low and wide coffee cup at the goodwill.

Man, what a difference! The soap, oil and blades gave me a great shave from the cracker-jack razor. The mug is way to big and not much use. The brush loses hair like a mangy dog but I am getting some great shaves with just few weepers. Those are from rushing it. I have a tough beard and a sissy face, yet I can get a shave good enough to last for two days. And the only razor burn issues are in the lower neck area. Even that is better.

By the second week, this week, I added Noxzema, Derby blades and began face lathering. Even better. My only complaint is that my razor broke this morning as I made my final stroke to clean up the sideburn area. Other than that I has been great. Just need more money to get a real razor! But form the couple of hundred posts I have read, that seems to be a common problem!!!!

Thank you. I was confused for a while about the "Tech." Several people sell some sort of injector blade (I think that is what it is) as a tech so I thought what I read in print is wrong. Probably will start with a Super Speed. And it seems as if Gillette is not only the way to go, but the most popular by far.

These things happen. But the good news is it now means I have to buy a "real" razor. So, I guess we could call it a blessing in disguise!

Welcome to B&B! I suggest checking out Maggard Razors own brand. They are cheap and you get a real stainless steel handle.

I cannot more highly recommend de shaving. I dont even own a cartridge razor anymore. There are many good razors to be had for a fair price, and a good one should easily last a life time. almost anything vintage gillete is going to be a tank! Congrats on your new shaving adventure, and be sure to post some pics when you get that new razor.

Welcome to B&B! Sorry to hear about losing your dads razors. It does sound as if you are off to a good start though! I suggest getting a blade sampler and trying out some different ones. Good luck!

Top Bottom