What's new

First time (for the second time)

My first two DE shaves did not get well (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/449839-First-time-DE-shave)

For the past month, I've been using my electric again. But, I've made lots of practice lather and really started paying attention to the growth direction of my facial hair.

Today was my first DE in about 5 weeks and I tried to forget that the first two even happened. I used a prewash soap, AOS shaving oil sample, my maggard MR6, Astra SP blades, and proraso white soap. I had two days of growth.

All in all, it was a decent shave. I'm not BBS, but I didn't bleed (much). There were a few weepers that closed themselves. I did 1 pass WTG and 1 pass XTG'ish. I started a touch up pass be decided to abandon that. I didn't want to get over confident.

I have a few days off from work this week so I'm going to put the electric away and shave with the DE. I was really nervous today starting out. But now I think I can do this.

Never hurts to do WTG for a few passes/shaves until you build up your confidence. Just remember to use little to no pressure and short strokes. Use your shoulder and not your wrist. This will help maintain your shaving angle and will reduce the likelihood of nicks. Just keep at it. Good luck!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Take your time and learn how little pressure it takes. No need for a BBS every time, it becomes a DFS in 5 hours anyway and a true DFS takes less time and risk.

Take your time and learn how little pressure it takes. No need for a BBS every time, it becomes a DFS in 5 hours anyway and a true DFS takes less time and risk.

This is it! Well said! I always go with what I can get that day. I don't force the issue. Sometimes is heavenly perfection and sometimes is just satisfactory enough. I have wet shaved all my life, and I always have approached it the same way, PATIENCE!

Keep at it!

Keep at it. All of a sudden you will finish a shave and wonder if you forgot to put a blade in the razor...

THEN....

You will know you have shaving "mastered" at that point

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
You've got this. Just go slow for the next few shaves. concentrate on all of the tips and techniques you've learned. You'll do fine. After a little practice, nicks and weepers will be few and far between. Relax and enjoy the shaves and the process of getting better at it. :thumbup:

Never hurts to do WTG for a few passes/shaves until you build up your confidence. Just remember to use little to no pressure and short strokes. Use your shoulder and not your wrist. This will help maintain your shaving angle and will reduce the likelihood of nicks. Just keep at it. Good luck!

+1 - esp. "WTG for a few passes/shaves until you build up your confidence". I did this for the first month of DE shaving and it helped a lot with learning proper technique and building confidence. Practice and perseverance is all it takes. You'll do fine. :001_smile

Thanks for the encouragement and tips (from my other thread). I'm feeling good enough to wet shave tomorrow too. Nice and easy. I'm not working tomorrow so there will be no rush and no pressure.

Hey, Matt! I fear you are starting in the same pit of disadvantages and misconceptions as I did. If that is so, passively raking your face will never result in a satisfactory shave. Please refer to the alternative schematic diagram on my profile.

Hey, Matt! I fear you are starting in the same pit of disadvantages and misconceptions as I did. If that is so, passively raking your face will never result in a satisfactory shave. Please refer to the alternative schematic diagram on my profile.

I did find that stretching the skin the in the right direction helped a lot this time around.

Top Bottom