What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VII- BBQ at the B&B 2015

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I cut two roasts from the center of a primal chunk of top round for making this, the rest I ground for burgers and bulk ground beef. Rubbed with Mortons Tenderquick and brown sugar and then into the refrigerator for 11 days, turning and massaging daily. Removed and did a 1 hour soak in fresh water changing the water once at the 30 min mark. Patted dry, seasoned with course black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder, back into refrigerator overnight. Next morning 4 hours of cold hickory smoke, followed by 8 hours of low warm smoke gradually increasing temps to 200*, until IT reached 155*. I'm happy with the results, next time might lower the finished IT by 5*.

Bob, how did you get such a nice square cut on that top round, a table saw?

Bob, how did you get such a nice square cut on that top round, a table saw?

Ha! Yeah, they are kind of goofy looking roasts, huh? I bought a case of choice angus primal top round from Restaurant Depot ($3.09/lb), which was 4 individual chunks (~75 lbs). I cut these from the center of each one of the 4 chunks and them trimmed them off square saving the trimmings for grinding. Gave one of the center cuts to my neighbor who grilled it to medium rare and he said it was fantastic. I have 1 more that I'm not sure what I'm going to use it for.

I prefer fruitwood for cheese over hickory, cherry or Apple are good. Hickory can be a little too in your face for cheese IMO, but that's why we make it ourselves, to suit our own tastes.

I'm a little late to the party, but I agree 100% that fruit woods are better for cheese. My first batch of smoked cheese, I used hickory and lets just say I won't be doing that again. The flavor was reminiscent of an ashtray. But, to each their own.

For Christmas last year I smoked about 30 lbs of cheese to give away as gifts. Used various fruit woods, and only had one complaint about the smoke flavor, everyone else either loved it or lied to me and said they did! :001_rolle

I'm a little late to the party, but I agree 100% that fruit woods are better for cheese. My first batch of smoked cheese, I used hickory and lets just say I won't be doing that again. The flavor was reminiscent of an ashtray. But, to each their own.

For Christmas last year I smoked about 30 lbs of cheese to give away as gifts. Used various fruit woods, and only had one complaint about the smoke flavor, everyone else either loved it or lied to me and said they did! :001_rolle

Thanks. I may go APPLE and CHERRY then...as those are the only two Fruit Woods I have. Ashtray-Cheese is no good:a39:. We're only talking 3 bricks of cheese, so it won't be a disaster if it doesn't turn out but I plan on cutting it into hunks for Wrapping or Giving a couple samples away to family.

I remember doing my first turkey, the gravy was like ashtray. That was on a Weber Kettle and one of my first ever smokes, so I had no idea what I was doing.

Grass fed beef blade roast on the pit barrel cooker

Attachments

• $DSC07823.jpg
    $DSC07823.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 74
  • $DSC07824.jpg
    $DSC07824.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
It was that time again, BBQ Fried Rice. We had some leftover turkey in the fridge (I wish it had been the smoked turkey) and cooked up some rice earlier in the day. I normally do this one over gas, but decided to try it over charcoal this time.

I'm pretty sure our oldest (10) ate about 1/2 of it, he couldn't stop eating it.

Getting Ready with the Lee Valley Peasant Knife:
$IMG_20150417_174058 (Large).jpg

Heating up peppers & Onions:
$IMG_20150417_174859 (Large).jpg

Adding Rice:
$IMG_20150417_175747 (Large).jpg

Frying Eggs:
$IMG_20150417_180123 (Large).jpg

Bringing to the table:
$IMG_20150417_180832 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
It was that time again, BBQ Fried Rice. We had some leftover turkey in the fridge (I wish it had been the smoked turkey) and cooked up some rice earlier in the day. I normally do this one over gas, but decided to try it over charcoal this time.

I'm pretty sure our oldest (10) ate about 1/2 of it, he couldn't stop eating it.

Getting Ready with the Lee Valley Peasant Knife:
View attachment 565309

Heating up peppers & Onions:
View attachment 565310

Adding Rice:
View attachment 565311

Frying Eggs:
View attachment 565312

Bringing to the table:
View attachment 565313

Looks great, as always, Bruce. How was it on the charcoal vs the gas? I'm on the verge of buying this griddle for my Weber kettle. Especially since a new PK Grill will be on its way soon.

Looks great, as always, Bruce. How was it on the charcoal vs the gas? I'm on the verge of buying this griddle for my Weber kettle. Especially since a new PK Grill will be on its way soon.
Thanks.

I'm not sure how much the charcoal added to the flavour but it was the best rice we've had on the BBQ, so that says something.

If I was only going to buy one, I'd probably go for the kettle. Food is just always that much better on charcoal and it would make me use it more then gas.

The one drawback with the round is, you can't do both grilling and frying as it takes up the entire surface of my cooker. With the half gas size, I can grill chicken on steak on the grates and then do veggies or flat bread on the griddle.

I'm actually frying up lunch on the Gas half griddle right now. Here is lunch today using leftover steak that we had freezer wrapped and the pitas from the other day. 4 people with 3 different types of wraps/gyros...the deli meat one ow for the little guy as he didn't want Greek steak and feta etc.

You probably can't go wrong with either.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1429378662173.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1429378662173.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 62
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1429378754692.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1429378754692.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts, Bruce. That fits into my master plan. The PK for the grilling and smoking and I can use the Weber for the griddle at the same time. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom