What's new

Photo of my Newly Acquired Barrister & Mann Collection

A store here in Toronto carries them all. And I love all but one--Roam. Most unusual fragrance, to put it mildly.

Excellent soap, and leaves my face moisturizer. Love that tallow.

I'm a Barrister and Mann fanboy also. Most of their scents put me off at first then slowly grew on me until I loved it. I feel like each scent tells a story and you just have to keep peeling the layers of meaning.

Yes, I used Roam yesterday. Not sure on that scent. It has a slight urine scent to it, combined with a thousand other things !!

A store here in Toronto carries them all. And I love all but one--Roam. Most unusual fragrance, to put it mildly.

Roam is a tricky one. I was fascinated by it, then I liked it, then I couldn't deal with it. But while it's not for me, I definitely admire what Will accomplished with it, and I'd much rather an artisan be creating interesting, intelligent scents like this rather than just ho-hum pleasant-but-forgettable compositions.

Shaved with Latha this morning for the first time, by the way. Even though it's unassuming for B&M, I really like the scent. A lot, actually. For something that's meant to smell "workaday" and "classic," it's actually very well done, with nifty vanilla and floral (ylang ylang?) facets peeking out here and there.

I can't believe they discontinued Vetiver, Clary and Heather Sage but still have Roam in production. Smh. VCHS was a beautiful scent Imho

This is an impressive collection. Well done.

I love B&M soaps. I had a sampler a while back, and came out loving Seville, Bay Rum, and Vetiver, Heather & Clary Sage. Cheshire is there as well. Not as much of a fan of Roam, or the Lime Lavender & Cedarwood.

What I think stands out about B&M compared to almost everyone else in the artisan market is the scents. Most artisan soaps have great properties and are slick, thick, very, very nice. Their scents though leave a lot to be desired. People rave about this soap's scent, or that soaps scent. Most of them smell a bit cloudy, and Play-Dohish to me. B&M are always very crisp and clean smelling, none of that Play-Doh, very distinct. I find these scents perfect.

This is an impressive collection. Well done.

I love B&M soaps. I had a sampler a while back, and came out loving Seville, Bay Rum, and Vetiver, Heather & Clary Sage. Cheshire is there as well. Not as much of a fan of Roam, or the Lime Lavender & Cedarwood.

What I think stands out about B&M compared to almost everyone else in the artisan market is the scents. Most artisan soaps have great properties and are slick, thick, very, very nice. Their scents though leave a lot to be desired. People rave about this soap's scent, or that soaps scent. Most of them smell a bit cloudy, and Play-Dohish to me. B&M are always very crisp and clean smelling, none of that Play-Doh, very distinct. I find these scents perfect.

I agree. Very well put.

Roam is a tricky one. I was fascinated by it, then I liked it, then I couldn't deal with it. But while it's not for me, I definitely admire what Will accomplished with it, and I'd much rather an artisan be creating interesting, intelligent scents like this rather than just ho-hum pleasant-but-forgettable compositions.

Shaved with Latha this morning for the first time, by the way. Even though it's unassuming for B&M, I really like the scent. A lot, actually. For something that's meant to smell "workaday" and "classic," it's actually very well done, with nifty vanilla and floral (ylang ylang?) facets peeking out here and there.

B&M advertise Seville as a barbershop scent, but also advertise Latha as a barbershop scent. What is your take on this? I am not an expert on "barbershop" scents, my only three being Stirling, Mike's and B&M. With that, Seville beats both by a longshot scent wise in my mind, with Mike's coming in second. Is Latha in your opinion closer to classic, like Mikes or Stirling? Is Seville in it's own league? And finally, if I dig Seville, do you I might like Latha as well?

I can't believe they discontinued Vetiver, Clary and Heather Sage but still have Roam in production. Smh. VCHS was a beautiful scent Imho

I agree, this was the soap that got hooked on B&M. I thankfully received a jar at Christmas right before it went away.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've been slowly working my through a bunch of B&M samples. While there are a few I had to immediately put aside for fear of sensitivity or allergy, I've not tried one yet that I didn't enjoy thoroughly. I really love Roam, and I'm having a hard time bringing myself to get it out of my mug to make room for the one that's on deck (Seville)

B&M advertise Seville as a barbershop scent, but also advertise Latha as a barbershop scent. What is your take on this? I am not an expert on "barbershop" scents, my only three being Stirling, Mike's and B&M. With that, Seville beats both by a longshot scent wise in my mind, with Mike's coming in second. Is Latha in your opinion closer to classic, like Mikes or Stirling? Is Seville in it's own league? And finally, if I dig Seville, do you I might like Latha as well?

Well, right off the bat Seville and Latha are quite distinct from one another. Where Seville is citrusy with a bed of herbs and oakmoss, Latha is more about vanilla, floral notes, lavender, and a bit of oakmoss. I'd say Latha is more in league with Mike's Barbershop (I haven't tried Stirling), but I definitely prefer Latha and find it to be a much more natural-smelling composition. Mike's, on the other hand, strikes me as a bit cloying and artificial, something closer to a car air freshener. Latha smells immediately "safe" and sort of familiar, but actually lathering and using it, more interesting facets emerge, and it becomes clear that it was composed with intelligence and care.

Especially given that it's inexpensive, I'd say Latha should be in every B&M fan's collection, and possibly in every (non-vegan) wet shaver's.

Well, right off the bat Seville and Latha are quite distinct from one another. Where Seville is citrusy with a bed of herbs and oakmoss, Latha is more about vanilla, floral notes, lavender, and a bit of oakmoss. I'd say Latha is more in league with Mike's Barbershop (I haven't tried Stirling), but I definitely prefer Latha and find it to be a much more natural-smelling composition. Mike's, on the other hand, strikes me as a bit cloying and artificial, something closer to a car air freshener. Latha smells immediately "safe" and sort of familiar, but actually lathering and using it, more interesting facets emerge, and it becomes clear that it was composed with intelligence and care.

Especially given that it's inexpensive, I'd say Latha should be in every B&M fan's collection, and possibly in every (non-vegan) wet shaver's.

Thanks for the info. I'm out of Seville, so when I make that order, I'll likely throw in Latha for good measure. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I'm working my way through them all. Only one I haven't tried yet is Bayrum. I used the unscented yesterday, unless I feel like being very boring, I don't think I'll be reaching for it for a while given all the other scents !!

I liked them all so far, except maybe Roam. I wasn't sure on the Lime/Lav/Cedwood upon initial smell, but the scent blended nicely when I used it shaving.

The baseball scent coming in April looks interesting !!

Can I ask you what that store is called. I'll hit it the next time I'm ever in Toronto.

I love B&M

How is their Bay Rum? Im at looking at purchasing a Bay Rum shaving soap but one that doesn't have a real over powering "clovey" kick to it. Would anyone here recommend B&M? I heard Mike's is more on the sweet side which I like. However he is out of stock of the Bay Rum at the moment. Thanks for all your feed back.

How is their Bay Rum? Im at looking at purchasing a Bay Rum shaving soap but one that doesn't have a real over powering "clovey" kick to it. Would anyone here recommend B&M? I heard Mike's is more on the sweet side which I like. However he is out of stock of the Bay Rum at the moment. Thanks for all your feed back.

I love the B&M Bay Rum. It was my introduction to bay rum, actually, though now I also have Captain's Choice after shave which is a very similar bay rum. B&M's is notably made without cloves, so that may be a benefit for you. It still has a spicy quality, but that's inherent to bay rum.

B&M BarRum is not clovey.

I love the B&M Bay Rum. It was my introduction to bay rum, actually, though now I also have Captain's Choice after shave which is a very similar bay rum. B&M's is notably made without cloves, so that may be a benefit for you. It still has a spicy quality, but that's inherent to bay rum.

Top Bottom