What's new

I Just Can't Handle Astra SPs

In my opinion, same blade behaves differently in different razors. So whenever you are trying a new razor, you should again go a back to your sample packs or your 2-3 favourite blades. Find the best combination for you. Some razors or some blades might not work for you at all, no matter how great the reviews are in the forums. Every face is different in terms of hardness/coarseness of the beard, your skin sensitivity etc. Thats why I like the phrase YMMV.

In my opinion, same blade behaves differently in different razors. So whenever you are trying a new razor, you should again go a back to your sample packs or your 2-3 favourite blades. Find the best combination for you. Some razors or some blades might not work for you at all, no matter how great the reviews are in the forums. Every face is different in terms of hardness/coarseness of the beard, your skin sensitivity etc. Thats why I like the phrase YMMV.
I agree that each razor might have a different mate. The Personna Red is one of my favorites in my R89, but was not good in a Merkur slant from a passaround.

Then again, to tie it back to this thread, for me Astras have worked well I'm the three razors I've tried (as mentioned above plus a New LC)

You should never order 100 blades of any brand without trying a couple of them out first.

One size never fits all. It's true of many things, and razor blades are no exception.

You aren't kidding - but the 100 were only costing A$13, so I thought What The Heck?
Cheers,
Renato

The QA/QC process on Astras could certainly use improvement. When they are good, they are very very good, albeit very finicky about what razor into which they are placed. My Gilette Knack works great with Astras. On the other hand, my 1908 doesn't work at all with them...I think there is a bit of slippage. However, I've noticed that you seem to get a bad blade with Astra more often than you might with some other blades.

I love the Astra SP's...my fav are the Feathers though....Just bought(got ripped off buying) a 5 pack of the Gillette 7 o'clock SP Blacks, and cant wait to try them out. I use a fatboy and a merkur34c and the Feathers rock, and the Astra SP's are a close second for quality of shave. So much so that I just bought 100 or each Feathers and Astra SP's.
If you dont like the SP's send my way...

Ha Astra SPs are probably up there with Bolzano as my most hated blades however on a whim I ordered some Astra Superior Stainless. Wow now that is a blade my face and I can get along with!

I just bought 200 of them for like $18. They work well for me, but admittedly better in some razors than others.

The QA/QC process on Astras could certainly use improvement. When they are good, they are very very good, albeit very finicky about what razor into which they are placed. My Gilette Knack works great with Astras. On the other hand, my 1908 doesn't work at all with them...I think there is a bit of slippage. However, I've noticed that you seem to get a bad blade with Astra more often than you might with some other blades.
It certainly seems to be a constant theme that the Astras work better in some razors than in others.
Cheers,
Renato

I love the Astra SP's...my fav are the Feathers though....Just bought(got ripped off buying) a 5 pack of the Gillette 7 o'clock SP Blacks, and cant wait to try them out. I use a fatboy and a merkur34c and the Feathers rock, and the Astra SP's are a close second for quality of shave. So much so that I just bought 100 or each Feathers and Astra SP's.
If you dont like the SP's send my way...

I don't have a Fatboy or Merkur 34C, though the Lord L6 has pretty much the same head as the 34C.

I might try an Astra SP in my Merkur Open Comb. Who knows, something good might come if I use my worst blade in my worst razor.
Regards,
Renato

Ha Astra SPs are probably up there with Bolzano as my most hated blades however on a whim I ordered some Astra Superior Stainless. Wow now that is a blade my face and I can get along with!

Yes, the Astra Superior Stainless is a nice blade on me too.
Regards,
Renato

I have to say, this thread threw me for a loop. Anytime I'm trying a new razor I start with the Astra SP as it is the best-behaved blade I've ever found. It pairs well with a Super Speed or a Fatip, and anything in between.
YMMV Indeed!

I don't like them either. It's not that they are sharp, they are rough.
Same here. YMMV.

Smooth blades for me, ordered by decreasing relative sharpness:

Feather
Polsilver SI
Rapira Platinum Lux
Personna Platinum Chrome

Those four give me the smoothest shaves in my Schick Krona or Feather Popular. Other blades may be sharp as well, but they feel rough for me.

For those that don't like the Astra blades, I would love to take them off your hands. Or, you could PIF them to others who like them.
I like these blades, and they work great in my razors.

I too have noticed the Astra SP is finicky when it comes to what razor you put it in.
It works well in my Razorock Mission 3 piece, even with one shim installed under it. I usually get 5 pretty good shaves.
I tried it in a 1964 Gillette Slim adjustable, it did not shave well at all in that razor.
Switched the same blade to my 1969 Super Slim, it works fine in that one.
My theory is razors with fairly narrow blade gaps won't like the Astra SP
I got mine in a sampler pack, I will not be buying any more.

Oddly, the SP works well for me in my '64 Slim. One of those things...

Top Bottom