What's new

My Guess... 3017

It arrived last night. I could not wait to start a 3017. I might switch to that soon. The Palmolive was just as good last night after moving it to my Old Spice mug.

Have 5 lathers now.
Cool, I'm glad you dialed it in. Good luck, I stay on the sidelines here.

Although if anyone knows the empty weight of DRH wood bowls, I'd like to know that number.

Harris has worked wonderfully in the past. I was attempting to use products that I wasn't sure about at the start to weed out the poor performers. Too bad I didn't get a chance to dial in the SCS Pumpkin, but I have a Cranberry Crush sample to dial in soon. Thanks for the support guys.

Unfortunately, the SCS Pumpkin went from "tolerable tingle" to uncomfortable burning this evening. I have used the soap twice. I offer this soap, free of charge, to any CONUS 3017er who is interested in attempting to work through it. Just let me know.

As for me, I will be starting a fresh puck of D.R. Harris Marlborough (grated into a 1 cup pyrex dish with lid) that has not even been test-lathered. I expect great things!

My journey...

Mitchell’s Wool Fat (PIF’d, will not replace)
10/23/2014 to 11/14/2014

SCS Pumpkin (PIF’d due to skin reaction, will not replace)
11/18/2014 to 11/20/2014

D.R. Harris Marlborough
11/21/2014 to ??/??/????
I would like a shot at it if its still available?

Looks like I have a few extra days with Mike's before B&M Dickens comes. I'm going to mix 1/2 Hungarian Lavender and 1/2 Peppermint & Rosemary to make Mike de Candre.

Finally finished off the Proraso sandalwood cream. Took longer than expected since I shaved practically every other day.

2.12.2013 - 12.12.2013 Arko (16 g): 9 shaves, 1.8 g per shave
1.1.2014 - 18.1.2014 Figaro (56 g): 16 shaves, 3.5 g per shave
19.1.2014 - 6.2.2014 Tcheon Fung Sing Mandarino e Spezie aroma intenso (42 g): 16 shaves, 2.6 g per shave
7.2.2014 - 21.2.2014 Palmolive stick (21 g): 13 shaves, 1.6 g per shave
22.2.2014 - 22.3.2014 Institut Karité (42 g): 23 shaves, 1.8 g per shave
23.3.2014 - 10.4.2014 Calani Tulach Ard (59 g): 16 shaves, 3.7 g per shave
11.4.2014 - 20.6.2014 Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street cream (152 g): 50 shaves, 3.04 g per shave
21.6.2014 - 20.8.2014 L.A. Shaving Soap Company Vanilla/Eucalyptus/Mint (123 g) : 35 shaves, 3.51 g per shave
21.8.2014 - 24.9.2014 TFS LE Oli Essenziali (101g): 25 shaves, 4.04 g per shave
25.9.2014 - 21.11.2014 Proraso Sandalwood cream (101g): 36 shaves, 2.8 g per shave

proxy.php

Next up are some random samples before tackling another full sized soap.

brucered

System Generated
Good work on that tube. It looks like you may have used one of the metal Tube Keys, which are fantastic for squeezing out every last bit of soap.

Still a few days left on my Mudder Focker. It is getting difficult to lather as it is so soft to begin with and is now moving around the container.

Palmolive stick 11.16.14-????

Rushed shave last night. Stick still gave enough lather to paint a wall. No complaints, except it is hard to be commited to one soap as Mama bear Andys Mint is calling my name

Kevdogg, you are the Sybil of the 3017 thread! lol
Or maybe you have SSADD. Shaving Soap Attention Deficit Disorder.
I suffer from it too, but try my best to NOT buy stuff until I have depleted a good portion of my existing stock.
Last night, I actually had 4 full size soaps and a few samples in a shopping cart, but decided not to do it, I emptied the cart. But I did make a list of what i do want to try someday. That made me feel better.
B&M, MW, Soap Commander, Tiki, Strop Shoppe, Cold River.....

Traveled yesterday, but I planned ahead and put a little scoop of Maca Root in a travel jar. Solid cream for face lathering, although my Muhle 19mm synthetic was a bit small.

Great shave today with my 25mm TGN Finest brush, face lathered.

Someday, my friend, someday. How does it compare to Mikes? Mikes is my benchmark, gold-standard soap (so far).

Obviously, YMMV applies to all of this. I put a premium on slickness because of the straight razor I use, and soaps that many other people like are just not slick enough for me. My opinion of each:

I got some samples of Mike's and test-lathered them. I didn't go any farther than that because I found them to be lacking slickness. It seemed like the soap was good to very good in other respects (it seemed rich, and I liked the naturalness of the scents he came up with), but I was pretty disappointed with the glide.

I've been very impressed with the Strop Shoppe. The lather looks and feels luxuriously rich, and it's been pretty slick. I got the special edition Barbershoppe, and while I despise the scent (cloying, artificial, aquatic perfume, to my nose), I often find myself thinking that it's the most photogenic lather I've seen because of how shiny and buttery it looks.

Traveled yesterday, but I planned ahead and put a little scoop of Maca Root in a travel jar. Solid cream for face lathering, although my Muhle 19mm synthetic was a bit small.

Great shave today with my 25mm TGN Finest brush, face lathered.

Was thinking of picking up a Muhle synthetic for the holidays. For travel, do you think the 21mm would work better than 19?

I've been very impressed with the Strop Shoppe. The lather looks and feels luxuriously rich, and it's been pretty slick. I got the special edition Barbershoppe, and while I despise the scent (cloying, artificial, aquatic perfume, to my nose), I often find myself thinking that it's the most photogenic lather I've seen because of how shiny and buttery it looks.

I'll second this. I recently killed a tub of Special Edition with Tallow Lemon and Eucalyptus. I wasn't fond of the scent - I haven't used Arko but I've heard this is real close - but the lather was impressive. Post shave feel was real good too. I've got three other scents in my drawer and will get to at least one of them in 2015.

Compared to Mike's? The lather was a little better but Mike's scents are spot-on for me and I cannot complain at all about Mike's lather. I'd probably go with Mike's for a desert island soap. Lucky for us all, it never comes to that.

Top Bottom