What's new

Fire Hose Linen

The printing on the linen increases the cool factor exponentially. I really like the look of that strop!

The writing is only in that one section on one side. The other side has no writing.
I haven't unraveled the whole hose, but I think that's the only part with writing on it.

Yeah - I agree - it does increase the cool factor significantly.

First real test went very well. Very very well indeed.

Vintage linen strops are out there. You may have to toss the leather but they are all over the place. My fave is a flax linen that is waxed. I hear they are waxed because they absorb moisture easily from the air.

I got a 2 1/2 inch firehose strop off the auction site and I must say that I am very very impressed. It significantly bumped up the edges that had previously seen an SRD web component and/or rough leather of the SRD modular paddle. It's well made with good hardware too. I never had a linen/cotton strop component to compare this firehose with but I am most certainly on board.

I agree 100% . Brooksie got the bug in me a while ago. It significantly Improves and keeps the edge going longer from what ive seen. Got mine in the spring.

Any seamstress could stitch that with a professional machine for $5.00 and 5 minutes. An antique singer machine would go through that like butter. I now which I had not garage sold mine.

The writing is only in that one section on one side. The other side has no writing.
I haven't unraveled the whole hose, but I think that's the only part with writing on it.

Yeah - I agree - it does increase the cool factor significantly.

First real test went very well. Very very well indeed.
How would you say it compares to vintage linen strops youve used?

Here is how I hung a vintage linen strop along with my old piece if fire hose. A snap hook, a piece of brass rod indented in the middle, a piece of leather, three holes, a slit at the top and two Chicago screws. The corners were chipped out with a sharp wood gouge. It seldom gets used these days as I opt for the Scrupleworks or Tony Miller. It must be the gunsmith in me that won't let me toss old stuff unless it is absolutely useless. Everything in this picture was salvaged. I put it all together like this so I would appreciate it even more in case I ever did need it. Sometimes it's all in the way you look at things.

Chasmo

$Linnen Strops.jpg

Does anyone have any info on whether or not these hoses are treated and what they may be treated with? I read a little about fire hoses, how theyre made etc. Its not a stretch to think theyre treated with some kind of fire retardant or other chemicals that may not be great to have on your leather strop and blade. And they will end up on your face as well. Im gonna pass on this idea for this reason.

Last edited:
Whatever (if) they might be treated with which is very speculative, it can be washed or soaked out with a vinegar bath. The old ones operated without a liner and utilized the linen fibers characteristic of swelling when they got wet and sealing the hose under pressure. Treating the fibers would seem to only reduce this action.

Factually, before the 50s this specific type of hose was untreated. Then - sometime in the late 50s early 60s - several studies were done on these hoses. Seems there was a lot of hose failure due to fungus/bacteria geting in the fibers and wreaking havoc. Following that - different 'treatments' were tested and after that most unlined hoses were graced with an anti-bacterial anti-fungus chemical bath that did not impede the ability of the fibers in the hose to swell and create a watertight seal.

They were not treated with any type of fire retardant due to the simple fact that flax itself seems to posess some sort of resistance to fire and being that it's soaking wet when in use - generally it wasn't a concern.
The anti bacterial mix that was determined to remain most effacious for the longest time under working conditions was innocuous - it had to be because these hoses were handled by firemen and the water going through them is often sprayed into places where people live and all over the people fighting fires.

A real concern would be if one had a hose that was used for chemical spray - such hoses are not unlined, much narrower, and marked.
While anything is possible - unless a fire hose like this one is very very stained then it wouild have been used for water-only. Most (all) heavier (wider) unlined hoses like this one (aka - LDH) were not used for anything other than running water to a pumper or something.
Even so - after the washing cycles this has been through - there's no chance of anything like that remaining anyway. I can eat off this hose with confidence. I've been carrying small pieces of it in my pocket for weeks - if there was an issue of any kind of that sort - I'd know by now.

Early on, after having a convo with a retired fireman in town here - I started looking into this exact topic. Affter doing a lot of homework - I'm convinced that any hysteria or fears about any possible toxic contamination are unfounded fabrications or ideas based on midunderstood partial data.

Two of my friends are messing with some of this hose now - I'll see what they have to say. If they like it, I'll send out a few more pieces to people to see what they think. I have 45' of it but not all of it is usable. So - this is destined to be a lark and fun - nothing else.

Mostly, I'm just interested in what a heavy flax linen material can or can't do.
I've not been overwhelmed with the thin linen on modern production strops - but so far I am impressed with this hose.

Yeah - I could bring it to a seamstress, actually I brought the small piece to a shoemaker with a big old Singer, but the thing is, the stitch that's needed to keep me happy isn't a simple running stitch. Perhaps someone good with a surger (I think) on a machine would be able to do what I want. I have another shoemaker to discuss this with.
As for the hanging - I have plans to use Chicago screws but I don't want to use leather bolsters if I don't have to. I just want to fold it over like I did with the printed strop, and use the screws to hold it in place. The sewing was faster and non-committal. Plus - it gave me more insight into working with the material. I knew, going in, that this one wasn't going to have a refined look. Which is fine, I can redo that later on. I just wanted to get it working. I have to dig out my Chicago screws to see what sizes I have on hand.

Last edited:
I prefer to use Chicago rivets - they cost more but theyre easy to work with, swap out, etc. Reg rivets are fine though. Most of the strops Ive made, restored or refurbed Have been 'Chicagoed' though. I cant remember the last time I had to actually set a std rivet, maybe 10-12 yr agp.

There are lots of vintage strops for cheap on ebay with linen already. No need to reinvent the wheel here. They can be had for $20 or less. Leather may be shot though.

Top Bottom