What's new

Recommendations needed on good entry level straight

Hello everyone. I'm looking to make my way into the straight shaving world and am in want of a nice, well made, entry level straight. I'm not exactly looking to cut corners cost wise. But at the same time, I'm not looking to spend a ton on my first go around either. Not looking for cheap. I'm looking for nice, solid, lasting. Something that if it doesn't work out, could be easily listed on the B/S/T. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

What's the budget? If it's around 100 then I suggest a heljestrand mk31 vintage... Around 120 bucks and will sell for the same

What's the budget? If it's around 100 then I suggest a heljestrand mk31 vintage... Around 120 bucks and will sell for the same
No budget in mind. I have no problem paying for a quality product. Just don't know much about straights at this juncture.

Well I strongly recommend a shave ready gold dollar from buca... At his prices, if you don't like straights you won't be out much money at all... Then if you like it spend 2-3 hundred on a real nice one

You can get a great vintage in the 100 price range or under if you stick to 5/8.
With larger sizes come bump in price.
The MK31 is a good suggestion, but I myself favor the feel of French steel over Swedish and would instead go for a Thiers Issard or Le Grelot.

TxHarleyGuy7: Welcome to B&B: It really helps us help you if you give us a price range. We can suggest a 15.00 Gold Dollar from China which will provide you a good shave if properly honed. We can suggest a custom grind from a razor artisan for 1,500 dollars. So how much do you want to spend on an entry level razor? If your riding a Harley your probably not interested in a Chinese Gold Dollar.

Why not visit the Vendor and Hobbyist Forum and look at the razors and prices. One may catch your eye.

Last edited:
TxHarleyGuy7: Welcome to B&B: It really helps us help you if you give us a price range. We can suggest a 15.00 Gold Dollar from China which will provide you a good shave if properly honed. We can suggest a custom grind from a razor artisan for 1,500 dollars. So how much do you want to spend on an entry level razor? If your riding a Harley your probably not interested in a Chinese Gold Dollar.
Given this will be my first straight razor, I'm thinking perhaps in the 500-800 range. If I like it, I'll buy something a bit nicer down the line. If straights are anything like my DE AD, I imagine I'll be acquiring a few in short order.

You can get a very nice razor with some resale value in that price range. I would suggest splitting your budget in half and purchasing two razors. It's nice to have one razor always shave ready and one on stand by. The key is to purchase a razor that is (truly shave ready.) The best way to guarantee success is to purchase from a forum member or a reseller who will hone an already new razors edge to a shave ready condition.

Vintage Filarmonica's, Dorkos, Wade & Butcher's and Puma's seem to hold their resale value. The key is not to overpay in the beginning. Check out the restoredrazor.com They are an American company assembling razors in the state of IL. I have their UNO model razor and its a great razor at a very good price.

Last edited:
Most of what you pay for is related to a few factors that have nothing to do with the shave: size, fanciness, and popularity of the brand. The most important thing is that you get a razor that has been properly honed. "Shave ready" (as it is called) razors can be had for as little as $25is . They're not pretty but they work well and will give you an idea if you want to delve further into straight shaving. The upper end is about as high as you want to go. The general recommendation is to buy a "shave ready" razor from a reputable vendor/website, hobbyiest, or member.

Other advice usually given: avoid razors made in China or Pakistan. Gold dollar razors, despite being disparaged on some sites, are an exception. Although they are not as finely crafted, they can be made to shave just as well as any other razor. Kreiger and pride brands are also closer to letter openers or pocket knives than straight razors--they're just not made to actually shave with.

Besides gold dollars, new razors are still being made in France (theirs-issard), Germany (dovo, revisor, Ralf aust, biker, golddachs), and the US (grim blades, brandonisio and bros--both newer and smaller outfits). Also there are makers of custom razors in various parts of the world. There may also be others that I'm forgetting.

There are also vintage razors by the thousands available on various auction sites and antique shops in widely varying states of repair. Many of the razors on the b/s/t or hobbyiest boards are vintage razors restored to varying degrees. These tend to give the best potential for getting most or all of your money back if you decide straight shaving is not for you. Vintage razors that have been cleaned up enough to make them functional razors are available from whippeddog.com. you don't get to pick the particular razor but the price is among the best out there.

You will also need a strop and you will need to strop before every shave. Whipped dog has a good starter set--the poor-mans strop. Comes with a piece of balsa loaded with abrasive so that if the edge starts to dull a little, you can sharpen the edge a bit without having to send it out for honing. I'd also recommend using a piece of newspaper, folded into a 3" wide strip and folded over a towel bar and held tight as a strop for the first several days. It is easy to slice up your strop when you are first learning, better to do that to a piece of newspaper than your leather strop.

The best starter set would likely be two shave ready razors and a poor-mans strop kit. This way you can use one razor and save the other both so you have a sharp razor when the first eventually needs to be sent out for honing, and so you have a reference for what a sharp razor feels like--as the first one gets use and gradually dulls through your learning to shave with it, the changes happen slowly enough that they are hard to recognize when you are new to straight shaving.

Also, learning to use a straight takes a long time. They say, and my experience agrees, that it takes about 100 shaves to become competent. I've been using a straight almost exclusively for the last 17 months and although the progress is slower, I'm still getting better at it.

In the long run, most people either stop straight shaving for one reason or another or they begin collecting razors, on a constant search for their "perfect" razor. The most important thing is to start the journey and enjoy it as much as possible.

+1 for this. Great advice. A Buca GD is the least costly way to try straight shaving. If you like it, you can always go deeper.

Well I strongly recommend a shave ready gold dollar from buca... At his prices, if you don't like straights you won't be out much money at all... Then if you like it spend 2-3 hundred on a real nice one

IMO, there is no such thing an an "entry" level razor-I say buy one that appeals to you and go for it. The one aboslute thing is it needs to be be shave ready.

You will struggle at first even with a truly shave ready one but that variable needs to be removed

If I had to start a friend off on straight shaving, I would suggest a brand new Boker 6/8 or a Dovo Bismark 6/8, honed by the merchant with a guarantee. These razors retail for less than $200 and are easily resold. After you get more experience and do some research, you can 'invest' in a high end custom or vintage razor(s). There's too many things that can go wrong if you buy vintage, until you learn what to look for and who you can trust. Although you are pretty safe dealing with B&B vendors.

As mentioned there is no such thing as a starter straight. If it looks good to you get it. I'd split the money buying a couple of different grind straights, hone(s) (coticule, jnat, norton 4k/8k, 1K stone...etc) and a strop.

My advice is don't spend much money on your first straight razor. Spend the extra money on a great strop (like the SRD paddle). I did the opposite of this and regretted it. At least in my case no matter how careful I thought I was my excitement and lack of experience (i.e. spastic stropping) completely jacked a beautiful razor up. Learn how to strop first with a cheaper but "shave ready" straight then once that's done go crazy on getting one that you really love. Check out the BST section and I'm sure you can find an entry level one that will work. Good Luck!!!

All great advice here. Jump in if thats the budget, you can find TONS of beauties for that price. IMO i would get 2 razors though. And use and strop ONE only for a week or 2 this way you will have one when you get the stropping worked out. Its not uncommon to roll the edge in the beginning. No shame as I did it myself.

Since nobody else has said it yet I will. Take a long hard look at Hart razors. American made, extremely high quality steel, perfect grind. straight forward to hone. They lack the bling of some other razors having a pure function look that I enjoy. I refer to them as the muscle cars of the straight shaving world. They are not inexpensive, but the three that are in my collection have a permanent home with me.

Another option to purchase an American made razor. Check out The Portland Razor Company. Manufacturing a nice razor at a very nice price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom