What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I finally got mine flat (dead stupid ugly flat) and got to use it a little. The hybrid side is really smooth under the blade with no chatter, it's literally like honing on glass. Coticule side is a little granular with slurry and pretty fast, and smooth and slow on water.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Supercoti

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 152
A very old natural cut slab of coti I got from the EU last week. The pics don't really show how red it is. It's more red than yellow. Feedback is a bit aggressive. Stone is one of the hardest coticules I've had. Edge isn't quite as smooth as the driftwood coti. Fast and easy coticule, particularly for how hard it is. Possibly a La Grosse Blanche, as it was tanned a DEEP brown before lapping.

Attachments

• $20140923_003626.jpg
    $20140923_003626.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 151
  • $20140923_003657.jpg
    $20140923_003657.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 151
Here's a shot of the hand-held coticule I use here. Nothing to salivate over; but it creates swarf, so it must be doing something. I received it from Jarrod 1-1/2 years ago, when he was going through a "lap to 2000x" phase. Hitting it with a coarse DMT afterwards seems to have helped.

$Hand-held-coticule--S.D-2..jpg

Another shot, to show the darkening underneath.

$SD-coticule.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone who has old paddle cotis have any tips for gently coaxing a stone from a paddle? The adhesive has degraded around the perimeter so there is a gap between stone and paddle , but in the middle there is still meat where it is holding. I am guessing the glue is dried out and at the end of its elastic life, yet friction is holding it stubbornly.

The Coti above has some speed, but it's not a super speed queen.

I might consider gently warming the paddle side - a blow drier might be enough heat to soften the glue if you're patient.
I think Scott cautiously used an iron to do something similar.

The paddled coticule I had was a major pita to get out so I basically cut the wood down using the top of the coticule as a guide then chipped away at the wood until I got to the glue. I then lapped the glue off with w/d sandpaper.

Top Bottom