What's new

What are your favourite non-biblical quotes?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
corruptisima re publica plurimae leges
(In the most corrupt state are the most laws)

- Terence

"Driver picks the music and shotgun shuts his cakehole" - Supernatural

"Said that she did"-Yoda Meme

"I've eaten a river of liver and an ocean of fish! I've eaten so much fish, I'm ready to grow gills! I've eaten so much liver, I can only make love if I'm smothered in bacon and onions!" - Alan Alda as Hawkeye in M*A*S*H.

“When religion and politics travel in the same cart, the riders believe nothing can stand in their way. Their movements become headlong - faster and faster and faster. They put aside all thoughts of obstacles and forget the precipice does not show itself to the man in a blind rush until it's too late.”
― Frank Herbert

"Wish in one hand and crap in the other. See which one gets filled first" - Grandpa Guffason in Grumpy Old Men

"Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid".- Dean Koontz

"We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones." Stephen King

“People are stupid. They will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.” ― Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

"S
ic Vis Pacem Para Bellum (If you want Peace, prepare for war)" - The Punisher

"I'll stop there... there are many quotes that I like.

Last edited:
My favorite quote:

"Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.” - George Elliot

Can't believe no one has mentioned Will Rogers:

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts."

Matt

Decades ago I read as much Junichiro Tanizaki as I could find and I have always remembered the proverb that inspired his book "Some Prefer Nettles".

"Every worm to his taste. Some prefer to eat nettles. "

I know a nettle eater or two.

By Terry Pratchett:

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened - Moving Pictures

- "What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?"
- "Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
- Cohen the Barbarian, The Light Fantastic

Getting an education was a bit like a communicable disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on. - Hogfather

'Aye, Daft Wullie, ye are right in whut ye say. It was unricht o' me to say that. It was the heat o' the moment, an' I am full sorry for it. As I stand here before ye now, I will say: Daft Wullie, ye DO hae the brains o' a beetle, an' I'll fight any scunner who says different! - Rob Anybody, A Hat Full of Sky.

Last edited:
Quotes that get used at least once a month, if not weekly

Romanes Eunt Domus.

Yes, we're all individuals!
-You're all different.
Yes, we are all different!
(I'm not)

I *warned* you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you *knew*, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little *bunny*, isn't it?

It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese.

E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!!

A wafer thin mint.

Dinsdale

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

One day lad, all this will be yours.

We are three wise men.
- Well, what are you doing creeping around a cow shed at two o'clock in the morning? That doesn't sound very wise to me.

Last edited:
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatruce Hall on Voltaire

Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. - Hunter S. Thompson

You can learn a line from a win and a book from a defeat. - Paul Brown

Ka is a wheel. - Roland Deschain

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
― Bertrand Russell

Do you know the date of this quote? I wonder if he got that from Yeats or Yeats got it from him. Here's what Yeats wrote in The Second Coming and it was published in The Dial in 1920:

"The best lack all conviction while the worst
are full of passionate intensity."

Top Bottom