What's new

The Gillette New: British vs. American

Just ordered a Gillette 7 O' Clock British New from bst - wondering how it will compare with my US long comb. Looks nice.

There's a raised bar British New on ebay for $75 currently, I think.

I have and Otto Roth, which is a USA made Gillette NEW LC. It is currently my favorite shaver. I have a New Standard Tuckaway coming that Krona Kruiser replated. He is also working on an English LC for me that I am excited to get. It's the round pin, flat bottom like in the pic above of all the English razors...3rd from the left.

If any of these heads shave better than my Otto Roth, I will be very happy. I have a nice, heavy brass handle from a Cadet razor waiting to pair with these heads. It really made my Otto Roth shave better than it did with it's stock handle.

This thread was very informative. I thank you all for sharing your experience and thoughts. It has helped me greatly.

I am a convert to British News - my 7 O' Clock is getting replated in gold/rosegold in England, and I have a backup British New. Great razors, nice and smooth.

I am a convert to British News - my 7 O' Clock is getting replated in gold/rosegold in England, and I have a backup British New. Great razors, nice and smooth.

Teppanyaki... I have read your threads about your search through several open comb razors. I seem to remember you liking the Goodwill you had fairly well. Krona Kruiser had a replated Goodwill head only, but I didn't see the post in time. I would have loved to have that head. I also think you said your 7 O'Clock was a tad milder than some of the other NEW's you tried. I am really in love with the NEW's at this point. I hope my 2 new heads don't disappoint me.

I can't wait to see how your dual color razor looks when Dave gets done with it. I know it's going to be fantastic, based on the pics of his other work I've seen.

Jeff - I do like my Goodwill, but it's not like my News (especially the British). I think the blade angles down towards the comb a little more/less "sticking out horizontally like a R41" in the British News compared to the US ones. Based on a smartphone camera and my eyes, so take it with many a grain of salt!

Yeah, can't wait to get my razors back. I do have some SE ones to play with currently, and my "backup" British New is now my daily DE shaver.

I just put some old feeler gauges to my New Types. Five or six US New Types all roughly confirmed by the Wiki, maybe 21 - 23 thousandths, but with the one long comb New I have that's made in England for the French market, silver plated ball end handle, it's maybe 31 - 33. Only the cap looks different to me, and the way it fits together, which I suppose would do it.

View attachment 247003

View attachment 247004

View attachment 247005

For some time, I have been intrigued by Porky Pine's and the Chief's preference for US-style LC NEWs made in England. Fortunately, Porky Pine provided pictures. After months of looking, I finally managed to get my hands on a UK-made US-style ball-end LC NEW.:biggrin1:
It does not look like Porky's and it does not shave like the Chief's. :mad3:

Indeed, it shaves pretty much exactly like a regular US-made LC NEW (which is nonetheless pretty darn good).

I guess I'll stick with my British raised flat bottom LCs.

Of the British NEW razors, which are your favorites? Are there discernible differences between a raised flat bottom, 7 O'Clock, Round Pin, etc?

In general British New heads are fantastic shavers. But for me, the best shaving British New heads
are the flat bottom base plate coupled with a cap without the corner tabs. I find that they are just
a bit smoother shaving when compared to the caps with the corner tabs. As always YMMV.

Some examples.
proxy.php

Great photo. Are all of base plates shown "flat"? I see the corner and sans corner tab caps, and the round, slot, I pegs, but the base plates all look "flat" to me.

Great photo. Are all of base plates shown "flat"? I see the corner and sans corner tab caps, and the round, slot, I pegs, but the base plates all look "flat" to me.

Yes, all but the US style British New have flat bottoms. The Raised Flat bottom does have a slightly raised center section but it is still flat.

See my original comparison photos.

proxy.php

And another lineup of various Gillette Open Comb heads.
proxy.php

Here is another angle showing the raised center section.

proxy.php

And another, sorry for the bad quality cell phone pic.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed explanation (with photos).

Are there any shaving differences between the different pins - round vs. I-pins? Any differences between the raised and non-raised base plates?

Thank you for the detailed explanation (with photos).

Are there any shaving differences between the different pins - round vs. I-pins? Any differences between the raised and non-raised base plates?

You're welcome. On my face, the round pin cap and the I pin cap shave the same. I've only found a slight difference in the shave when using a cap with the
corner tabs. It's still a great shave but for me it was just a bit less smooth than the tab-less cap.

I would just like to add a couple of pictures of a GROM open comb NEW style razor, it belongs to a friend of mine and it is exactly like the 7 O'clock sets and the Gillette NEW sets, It must have been part of the Gillette company somewhere along the line - It has to be one of the nicest sets I have seen in a while

$grom gillette 1 (640x479).jpg$grom gillette 2 (640x480).jpg

Top Bottom