What's new

What is your heritage?

Both my mother and father were born in Greece and I was the first generation born in Canada.

Would love to trace the family tree but since not that many records were kept in the villages. We did have some success with tracing my dad's side. Apparently one of the family members ended up in Russia and became an important part of their space program.

English and Scotch-Irish, supposedly, with direct lineals landing in the states, Virginia and probably Carolina, I guess, a long, long time ago.

I should do the genetic test. I would not be surprised if there were some "surprises."

Now that is really neat! I'd like to trace my family tree but no earthly idea where to start.

DNA testing is great but it only tells what general area of the world your ancestors come from. Genealogy is really finding out about the people that came before you. It's about their names, their events and details of their lives that you will take the most pleasure in.

You get started with yourself, your parents and your grandparents. List as much information as you know. Then hit a genealogy site like FamilySearch.org (free) or Ancestry.com (paid) to see if you can fill in the holes. Little by little, person by person you find out about everyone that came before

My DNA says 99% Northern European with 1% Southern European. German, Scots, Norwegian, British with just a touch of Italian for flavor! But I have to go back 10 generations on any line to find the immigrant. We've been in the US before it was the US!

My father 1st generation Irish (Father and mother came to New York in 1887)

My mothers family (Beardsley) came from Stratford on Avon England. They sailed to America on the Good Ship Patience and held the charter for the colony of Connecticut in 1636. Founded the town of Stratford.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
DNA testing is great but it only tells what general area of the world your ancestors come from. Genealogy is really finding out about the people that came before you. It's about their names, their events and details of their lives that you will take the most pleasure in.

You get started with yourself, your parents and your grandparents. List as much information as you know. Then hit a genealogy site like FamilySearch.org (free) or Ancestry.com (paid) to see if you can fill in the holes. Little by little, person by person you find out about everyone that came before
thanks for the info. I'm very interested but I'm also very lazy :biggrin1:

I have no idea to be honest.

read this before you spend money.
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/405384/tracing-your-ancestry/
i would like to do it for the entertainment value at least.
Same here. Entertainment value is high.

Cool thread TS!

Sicilian from my father and a mix of Ukrainian and Czechoslovakian from my mother's side (was still one country at that time)

100% Italian heritage. My mother was born in a small town in Italy called Ferrandina, where I still have some maternal relatives. My father was born in Argentina with both parents from the same town of Fernandina. They returned to Italy when he was an infant. Tracing back many generations all from the same small town.

Polish and Ukrainian from my father and Lithuanian and Ukrainian from my mother. 100% Eastern European Jew and second / third generation US.

Lets see if I remember this correctly from the family history mom sent me years ago.
German, Scottish, and Polish.

thanks for the info. I'm very interested but I'm also very lazy :biggrin1:

Toothpick (and anyone else toying with the idea of starting their own genealogy), I can guarantee that the first time you find someone new, the laziness just melts out of you.

I have almost 4500 people in my database, over 2000 of them are direct ancestors going back more than 10 generations to the early 1700's. I have newspaper editors, farmers (lots of them), lawyers, town aldermen, Vietnam war/Civil war/Revolutionary war veterans and even a few thieves in my line. All this represents a labor of love for 30 years.

Just like shaving, the time you devote isn't "spent," it's "invested" and you find yourself wanting to do more.

If you can't tell, I really enjoy this work, and, just like shaving, take every opportunity to help others find the same thing! :)

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
German on both sides....
My family came from Hungary and they showed up in Germany during the 30 years War - 1618-1648, when exactly is unknown.
I was told that my name in Hungarian means "butter".

Top Bottom