What's new

Why do you carry a pocket knife?

this is my other daily carry knife
proxy.php

Zero tolerance

Ironic this question was asked

Everyone for years has gotten on me for carrying a pocket knife no matter what. Well on the way home my daughter, 3, fell asleep in the car, when she woke up she started pulling on the seatbelt in a cranky fit and got it wrapped around her neck and body. The child seat lock kicked in and started choking her and pulling on her where she couldn't move and the more she moved the more it tightened. Luckily I thought fast and took out my knife and sliced through the belt saving her life.

Last edited:
Zero tolerance

Ironic this question was asked

Everyone for years has gotten on me for carrying a pocket knife no matter what. Well on the way home my daughter, 3, fell asleep in the car, when she woke up she started pulling on the seatbelt in a cranky fit and got it wrapped around her neck and body. The child seat lock kicked in and started choking her and pulling on her where she couldn't move and the more she moved the more it tightened. Luckily I thought fast and took out my knife and sliced through the belt saving her life.

No luck there brother, your Daddy instincts kicked in. :thumbup1:

Excellent example of why folks should carry a pocket knife! It always better to have it and not need it...then to need one and not have one!

I carried a pocket knife of some description with me at all time from the age of 10 until 9/11 happened, and after losing a few to Homeland Security I kind of gave up on it. There's a good Victorinox in the center console of my car, a multi-tool in the glove box, and when I'm working I often carry a multi-tool (also a Victorinox), but I don't EDC anymore, and disappointingly, I don't really miss it from a practical perspective. There's really no situations I encounter in daily life that require immediate access to a blade. My Benchmade and Cold Steel knives mostly sit in a drawer these days, except for the odd camping or hiking trip, and I get a LOT more use out of my Shun kitchen knives than anything else.

ins0ma - When I travel via commercial airline, my EDC goes in check baggage. Otherwise, it's in one pocket or another. I use mine a lot, but if I found it was unnecessary I would stop carrying it. It would become just one more thing to futz with in the morning. Thank God I quit smoking. Aside from the other benefits, it's less stuff to have to remember in the morning.

None of the above should be construed to mean I don't like knives, because I do. There is pleasure in the ownership and use of a well made tool that pleases me.

None of the above should be construed to mean I don't like knives, because I do. There is pleasure in the ownership and use of a well made tool that pleases me.

+1. I also think that minimalistic utility is the rightful approach to EDC. Weighing yourself down with nonessential gunk just seems counterproductive.

With the modern shrink wrap plastics around everything, carrying a knife has become a necessity. And apart from that, there are so many situations where a good knife is handy.

I always carry a pocket knife, except when flying, or while travelling in countries with strict knife laws (as a foreigner, I don't want to get into a discussion with a local police officer).

Never happened to me before; I got a negative remark from a customer because I walked in their office with a knife in my pocket.
The weird thing was that he made that remark while I pulled out my knife to cut open some boxes. So he could see why a (small) knife is very useful in my job. He also acknowledged that, but he said:"still I don't like the fact that you carry a knife around here."

The knife was a small Victorinox Soldier, so it did not look intimidating at all. Besides, I never carry dangerous looking knives (size or shape) when I am at work.

I didn't have a really good reply to him, except stating that I use that knife for many daily activities, like opening boxes, or cutting rope, or removing tie-wraps.

I don't carry it but it sits at the base of my monitor and I use it almost every day for something - Benchmade Barrage 580bk. It's a great knife. Also got a real dull Kershaw Leek around somewhere too.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/580-583

$BM580BK.jpg

I'd loveeeeee to have a Benchmade Infidel but they're prohib in Canada. There is a few that I can get that I'd like at some point as I come across them like the kershaw junkyard dog 2 composite, benchmade pardue 530.

Lovely, but I prefer to carry something more like a "gentleman's folder" at work.

I just ordered a Chinese SRM 728. SRM knives seem to be very good for the price; we'll see.

All the men in my family have carried small pocket knives...on my mothers and fathers side of the family. To me it's a just a traditional pocket tool to always have handy...it's about having it if needed, not needing it and not having it. By small pocket knives I mean case peanut or similar small 2-3 blade stockman types; now in days since my work issues knives I always keep one clipped to the pocket. Currently carrying a Benchmade Mel Pardue auto on the job and a Benchmade Osborne for civi carry.

I just received my Opinel #6. I had bought it online, and wanted a slightly smaller knife than my #8. However, I was not prepared for how tiny it really is lol.

Anyway, it fits my pocket very fine :001_smile

I just received my Opinel #6. I had bought it online, and wanted a slightly smaller knife than my #8. However, I was not prepared for how tiny it really is lol.

Anyway, it fits my pocket very fine :001_smile
when mine arrived I was shocked too, but I have found that its the perfect size. I have not come across anything where it wasn't adequate

Funnily it is the same size as my Victorinox Soldier, but that one feels much larger in my hand (probably because of the heavier handle).

Im thinking about re-profiling the tip, I find that the tips are opinels downfall. they seem a bit too high and I intend to drop it a bit into a spear point to better suit my needs

Im thinking about re-profiling the tip, I find that the tips are opinels downfall. they seem a bit too high and I intend to drop it a bit into a spear point to better suit my needs
Is it true that the locking rings need to be removed in the UK?

The Opinel tip shapes are fine for preparing food, in my opinion. For generic cutting, I like the shape of my Victorinox. At the moment, I am waiting for a SRM PB-728, which I did not need, but could not resist either lol

yes, to legally carry a pocket knife it cannot have a locking mechanism... I posted that in my entry a good few pages back I think :001_cool: for food its fine like you say, but breaking boxes and everyday tasks the tip is awkward to use.. for me anyway. as always, YMMV

Top Bottom