What's new

Shameless Dime Store Aftershave fan

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am a shameless dime store aftershave fan.
I have no problem admitting that.
While I appreciate top shelf frags, my "daily drivers" are all of the drug store variety;
The Veg, Aqua Velva, Clubman, Old Spice etc.

I saw a bottle of "Stetson" last week and decided to give it a run.
I bought a bottle and brought it home for testing. While the scent isn't all that great, it isn't bad either - so it passed the sniiff test. I put some on and noticed right off the bat that this is not your average splash.
No alcohol sensation whatsoever. On drydown, it also felt very "oily". One of the top ingredients is a healthy dose of castor oil.

While the alcohol shortcoming was easily overcome by the addition of some Everclear, I wasn't able to overcome my aversion to the oil. It was bad enough that my next shower resulted in a greasy slick feeling as I showered.

Stetson may be for you, but it's definitely not for me. It clearly is an aftershave balm masquerading as a splash.
If you are looking for a balm, but want to pretend you're using a splash, and don't mind a timid, banal scent, this is the stuff for you.

As for me, I'll keep on the lookout for the next great cheap splash.

Anyone else use this stuff and have an opinion?

I have lately settled on Barbasol Brisk as my daily splash. It does everything I want and the scent is clean and pleasant imo. It also has a nice menthol effect to it. Have you tried it yet?

I tried it once the scent was so-so, I preferred Aspen or the Stetson Sierra scent it was closer to Polo Green.

It's been a while since I've had any, but I recall liking Stetson (not enough to buy another it seems). I don't remember its scent being overwhelming or having an oily texture. Your post made me think I might want to try it again, and while looking it up, I noticed they make a version with aloe. Perhaps you grabbed one with aloe?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's been a while since I've had any, but I recall liking Stetson (not enough to buy another it seems). I don't remember its scent being overwhelming or having an oily texture. Your post made me think I might want to try it again, and while looking it up, I noticed they make a version with aloe. Perhaps you grabbed one with aloe?

The Stetson I bought had both Castor Oil and Aloe. Castor Oil was the third ingredient I believe.
That's a lot of Castor Oil.

I dont mind regular 'cheap' AS or scents. Heck I'm a Brut man!. Latley though it's gone up over £6 ($9.50) a bottle her in blighty. Gotta get back to the pound store. I've got some Old Spice lime coming from India which was a massive $11 (£7.20) though.

I like some of the "cheap" aftershaves too. Skin Bracer and AV are both nice although I prefer Skin Bracer over AV. There's a store here that's carrying Barbasol aftershaves now so I may give one of those a try soon. On the other hand, I do appreciate Musgo Real and Myrsol. I really like Musgo Real splash when it's cooler outside and the balm when it's cold. I don't know why, but Myrsol just leaves my skin feeling great in hot weather. I also hate the heavy alcohol burn so I avoid Pinaud.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
taken off beautifulwithbrains.com
What it is
PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil is a white paste derived from Castor Oil.
What it does
PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil is a surfactant: it helps water mix with oil and dirt so that they can be rinsed away, leaving skin and hair clean.

Side effects
PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil is usually used in concentrations between 0,5% and 10%, at which it is generally considered to be safe.

Kind of makes sense why it would leave you feeling oily, it says it's meant to be rinsed away.

I have the "cooling moisture" Stetson. LOVE IT. the scent sticks with me allllll day. which I don't mind because I enjoy the scent. My father wore it when I was a kid so no wonder why I like it so much. I've never got a oily feeling with it though.

While I appreciate top shelf frags, my "daily drivers" are all of the drug store variety;
The Veg, Aqua Velva, Clubman, Old Spice etc.
I do much the same thing with my AS and fragrances. My cheap AS are also referred to as "daily drivers" and are ones like Old Spice, Brut, Barbasol, and Masters Bay Rum. I just don't see the point of wearing the expensive stuff to go sit in the office surrounded by a bunch of guys.

Actually I'm a really big fan of the Dollar General, Dollar Tree and Family Dollar knock offs for my daily AS and frags. Today was the Dollar General Brut type aftershave, some TJ Max knock off of Polo Sport anti-perspirant, and Dollar Tree knock off of Polo Sport as a fragrance. So as if you actually had to ask, I really am that cheap.

I love dime store old-school aftershaves. My lineup always includes OS, AV, AV Ice Sport, and Barbasol Brisk. It's like my love of Miller High Life--why spend more, when the cheap stuff makes me so happy?

There is definitely something wrong here if someone has to call himself shameless and "admit" to buying popular AS in a drugstore.

LOL

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There is definitely something wrong here if someone has to call himself shameless and "admit" to buying popular AS in a drugstore.

LOL

Unfortunately there are those who would look down their nose a bit if it doesn't have a complex name or a steep price tag, regardless of the results.

I'm right there with you Phil. I've bought and used enough expensive aftershaves from T&H, Trumpers, D.R. Harris, etc. but two of my favorites that get used more than any in my rotation are Old Spice, and Aqua Velva Ice Blue. Both of those smell great and work great for me. Plus there's just something about using the same aftershaves I remember my dad having when I was a kid.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got some Old Spice (Shulton Indian version and the regular pharmacy P&G versions in the mail). The Aqua Velva Ice Sport is my favourite or Aqua Velva. Skin Bracer by Mennen is a top one in the pharmacy AS. I like the Clubman series but they are my least favourite.

I did not try Stetson and I need to try English Leather.

Unfortunately there are those who would look down their nose a bit if it doesn't have a complex name or a steep price tag, regardless of the results.

Then they'd be looking down their noses at the fathers and grandfathers! Talk about shame? Just let them show themselves here now. I dare ya. I double dare ya.

I've recently fallen hard for Florida Water and I get it in 16oz bottles for less than $8. The scent doesn't last long, but it is really refreshing when applied. So I'm proud to wear a CHEAP a/s :tongue_sm

Last edited:
I'll see your cheap drugstore after shaves and raise you one bottle of Master's Bay Rum bought at Sally's. There ain't nuttin' wrong with cheap thrills. The cheaper the bigger and better thrill for your wallet.

Top Bottom