What's new

Having problems finding a splash

Ok, so I'm looking for the perfect aftershave :biggrin1:, and I am noticing that I am extremely picky about them. I have shaved about 20 times with the same razor and the same brush, but I can't commit to one aftershave!

Ok, so that's not true. There is one which I love. I bought Mama Bear's Summer Aftershave Balm Lime Ice with an extra shot of menthol, and it is delightful! The smell is gorgeous, it absolutely freezes my face and it's a thin milk which behaves like a splash. For mentholated aftershaves, I am set. I want a splash that's not strongly mentholated for the times when I don't want hypothermia (which are rare, but they do happen!)

So, here's a list of splashes I have tried and my comments

Old Spice Classic - scent is ok, but it reminds SWMBO of her father! :blink:
Aqua Velva Ice Blue - not mentholated enough, and the scent is terrible
Ogallala Bay Rum - Delicious! But it heats up my face, so no good for summer (can't wait for winter!!)
Saint Charles Shave Mediterranean Citrus - I liked how it felt on my skin, but for some reason I couldn't come to terms with the scent! I really thought I would love it.
Pinaud Clubman - Reminds me of cheap shampoo
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal - I almost like it, but the vegetal part kills me
Alt-Innsbruck - I thought it was ... interesting. SWMBO felt it was too floral/girly
Proraso - Has potential, but I prefer Lime Ice for mentholated AS
Floid Vigoroso & Suave - Both made me gag
Fload Blue - It smelled too much like just alcohol.
La Toja - Smelled too much like candy for me

I have samples from Saint Charles Shave on the way of the following:
Lavender Splash & Milk
Sandalwood Extract Splash
Savory Rose Splash (I'm thinking the wife won't like this one either!)​

I am considering buying the following:
Mama Bear's Cucumber Summer Milk
D.R. Harris Arlington Splash​

Anything else you guys could suggest? Either to try or to avoid! Thanks!

You need to try Speick. It is my favorite, most used AS follwed closely by the Proraso.

Also, the Arlington is very nice. Opens very citrusy/lemon, drys to crisp clean fern scent. Lightly mentholated and leaves my face feeling great. It's nice.

The Harris Marlborough is the same as far as face feel/quality, but has a very dry cedar/sandalwood/spice scent. I like this one too.

I prefer Marlborough over Arlington. IMHO it's a little more macho.
I'm also really into Musgo Real right now.

I'm really looking forward to trying Speick next. Uh oh, I feel my AD flaring up.

I prefer Marlborough over Arlington. IMHO it's a little more macho.
Interesting! What do you find more effeminate about Arlington? The citrus notes? I'm serious. My wife has a strong opinion about this!

Osage Rub or Skin Bracer
I'm VERY curious about Osage Rub due to its high menthol content!! But for now I'll stick to my boosted Lime Ice

Musgo Real. And I'm pickier than you are. :lol:
Several votes for Musgo! You know, I had forgotten about it. I had been thinking about it a few weeks ago. I'll have to add that to the short list as well as Speick. What do you like about it?

What about Masters Bay Rum? You certainly are keeping the vendors in business... :biggrin1:
Have you compared it with Ogallala? I LOVE the scent but it heats up my face like nothing else. I get all red. I'm looking forward to trying it out during winter. Wish I had had it during the ridiculous storms we had last winter!

You need to try Speick. It is my favorite, most used AS follwed closely by the Proraso.

Also, the Arlington is very nice. Opens very citrusy/lemon, drys to crisp clean fern scent. Lightly mentholated and leaves my face feeling great. It's nice.

The Harris Marlborough is the same as far as face feel/quality, but has a very dry cedar/sandalwood/spice scent. I like this one too.
I have a tube of Speick shave cream, but haven't tried it. Smells good. Is the AS lavender as well?

Interesting! What do you find more effeminate about Arlington? The citrus notes? I'm serious. My wife has a strong opinion about this!

There is something floral and sweet about Arlington. It's kind of a metro-scent. My wife really likes it. She's been using the soap to shave her legs. I won't go so far as to say it is effeminate. It's just not the scent of my manhood.

Dude! My first aftershave when I was a wee little boy! I might grab a bottle just for nostalgia's sake :thumbup1:

Harris Sandalwood
Booster's Mosswood & June Clover
MANDOM!
Old Spice Lime

Just some ideas...
Never heard of Booster's. Who sells it? And with a name like Mandom, it better be damn manly!

There is something floral and sweet about Arlington. It's kind of a metro-scent. My wife really likes it. She's been using the soap to shave her legs. I won't go so far as to say it is effeminate. It's just not the scent of my manhood.
Man, really wish D.R. Harris did samples... I'll have to take this into account.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Dude! My first aftershave when I was a wee little boy! I might grab a bottle just for nostalgia's sake :thumbup1:

Never heard of Booster's. Who sells it? And with a name like Mandom, it better be damn manly!

Man, really wish D.R. Harris did samples... I'll have to take this into account.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm still a little boy then... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, so my current list of hopefuls is the following:

Musgo
Speick
D.R. Harris Marlborough
D.R. Harris Sandalwood
Mama Bear's Cucumber​

The cucumber is probably very fresh smelling, but not sure if it's what my wife would consider "manly". Probably going to hold off on it since I already have several of Mama Bear's excellent products with more on the way and I would prefer a breath-first search through the vendors for now.

Are the musgo and speick scents similar to their shave creams? I have both creams of both so if they're similar that would make the decision a lot easier.

Get some Lucido unscented. You can get it in the states I think...maybe at webichi? The Nid Hog might be able to point you in the right direction...

Booster's is like the Canadian Pinaud (although, of course, Pinaud belongs to the world). They make lots of nice aftershaves as well as very good shaving cream (sold as J. M. Fraser's). The good folks at Rasage Poulin and Fendrihan can get it for you.

Webichi is your spot for good Japanese aftershave like Mandom and Lucido. Lucido is really an amazing unscented splash. They also have Bravas, which is extremely nice.

http://www.webichi.com/en/details/35106

http://www.webichi.com/en/details/10219

http://www.webichi.com/en/details/11380

Booster's is like the Canadian Pinaud (although, of course, Pinaud belongs to the world). They make lots of nice aftershaves as well as very good shaving cream (sold as J. M. Fraser's). The good folks at Rasage Poulin and Fendrihan can get it for you.

Webichi is your spot for good Japanese aftershave like Mandom and Lucido. Lucido is really an amazing unscented splash. They also have Bravas, which is extremely nice.

http://www.webichi.com/en/details/35106

http://www.webichi.com/en/details/10219

http://www.webichi.com/en/details/11380

Ask and ye shall receive. Nig Hog, you ARE the (aftershave) man. :thumbup:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Several votes for Musgo! You know, I had forgotten about it. I had been thinking about it a few weeks ago. I'll have to add that to the short list as well as Speick. What do you like about it?

Everything.

You should also look into the very attractively priced SCS a/s's.

Top Bottom