What's new

Dovo straights

I'd love to buy a Dovo straight for the occasional change from a DE shave but i get the feeling its life altering major commitment. I mean with a DE, i just attach my blade and dispose after one shave, with a straight you got all that extra work stropping and honing and precision of technique. Lets face it with a straight their is no margin for error you commit to almost what seems like an art form. I did try a Shavette and that was a nightmare. Respect...

A shavette is a nightmare compared to a real straight. You do have to commit to learning how to maintain it but it's not so bad, really. After all, I was a rabbi's son who never held a tool in my life and I learned how to do it.

Yes a straight is definitely more work than a DE.

But also keep it in context. Stropping is a daily thing. Honing is not.

Many straight users put on a first coat of lather to soften the beard while they strop. Kind of like having an added benefit.

A shavette is a nightmare compared to a real straight. You do have to commit to learning how to maintain it but it's not so bad, really. After all, I was a rabbi's son who never held a tool in my life and I learned how to do it.

Chimensch, your avatar bears an uncanny resemblance to 'the chaps' emblem, by any chance are you a fellow subscriber? :001_smile

Last edited:
Chimensch, your avatar bears an uncanny resemblance to 'the chaps' emblem, by any chance are you a fellow subscriber? :001_smile
If you're a subscriber, I sincerely apologize. All I did was steal the original logo from their site. After Geo Dude wanted to use it too, Moe offered to make me a new one. He removed the red circle and added the Italian flag. Then, I pulled it into Paint and changed the colors of the razor and pipe. So, in reality, I'm nothing but a thief.

I'd love to buy a Dovo straight for the occasional change from a DE shave but i get the feeling its life altering major commitment. I mean with a DE, i just attach my blade and dispose after one shave, with a straight you got all that extra work stropping and honing and precision of technique. Lets face it with a straight their is no margin for error you commit to almost what seems like an art form. I did try a Shavette and that was a nightmare. Respect...

While stropping isn't that big of a deal, and honing doesn't happen that often, if you only intend on straight shaving once in a great while, you are never going to have enough opportunity to develop enough technique to get a good quality straight shave. Practice does indeed make perfect.

If you want to get good with a straight, you need to commit to using a straight most of the time for 3-4 months. :thumbup1:

If you're a subscriber, I sincerely apologize. All I did was steal the original logo from their site. After Geo Dude wanted to use it too, Moe offered to make me a new one. He removed the red circle and added the Italian flag. Then, I pulled it into Paint and changed the colors of the razor and pipe. So, in reality, I'm nothing but a thief.

No apology required old boy :001_smile Any member of the chap would naturally see the symbols and make what would seem an obvious connection. As you know 'the next revolution will be civilised'.

Perhaps in the future a Dovo will be on my wish list...

I started, very recently, with straights....initially thinking I'd only be using one occasionally (at the weekends) and would continue using my various DE's most of the time. However, I've been bitten by the bug and it's working out the exact opposite...most of my shaves with a straight and only using the DE's when I need a quick/better shave. As my technique improves I can see me not even needing the DE's to get a neat shave! :001_smile

As has already been stated, honing isn't an everyday requirement. Stropping is an essential part of the process, but it's not a major inconvenience.

I'll gladly confirm that it's a pretty steep AND long learning curve, to use a straight razor safely. Therefore, if you do want to try it, get an older "shave ready" razor, either on BST or from a reputable vendor, for a reasonable price. If you find that straights are for you, you can then invest in a more expensive model. There's a lot of really useful information in the stickys and, as ever here at B&B, there are lots of helpful gents if you have any questions.

Therefore, if you do want to try it, get an older "shave ready" razor, either on BST or from a reputable vendor, for a reasonable price. If you find that straights are for you, you can then invest in a more expensive model.

Larry Andro (http://www.whippeddog.com) specializes in setting up newbies with budget minded razors. He is the source to go to, if you want to try out the waters without committing 100's of dollars towards the adventure. He sells very nice quality shave ready vintage straights for around $30.

Lots of good advice so far in this thread. I will only add a big + + + to the idea of buying a used, shave ready straight from the B/S/T Forum to cut down on your initial outlay and make sure that the blade is "good to go". I started with a straight a little while back wanting to shave with it only on the weekends but some good advice here pushed me to use it whenever I can (at the moment, whenever I am at home) which means that my technique will get better much more quickly than if I were only straight-shaving twice a week.
Stropping is no big deal- you will need to take it slowly at the start but with a little practice, things will become almost automatic.
If, after a good trial period, you don't enjoy the experience you can always list the gear on B/S/T and off-load it without taking too much of a hit.

I am new to all this and did intend just to use the straight for weekends but i soon found out that the more practise you get the better you are so i also at the moment try to use it a few times in the week, stropping is not a great worry and as others have said try a cheap shave ready from here or what i did go to see larry.

Larry Andro (http://www.whippeddog.com) specializes in setting up newbies with budget minded razors. He is the source to go to, if you want to try out the waters without committing 100's of dollars towards the adventure. He sells very nice quality shave ready vintage straights for around $30.

Looks like a fair deal for a shave ready blade......may investigate.....:001_smile already can feel the pull into the vortex. Think i'll give Larry a pm.

Last edited:
Looks like a fair deal for a shave ready blade......may investigate.....:001_smile already can feel the pull into the vortex. Think i'll give Larry a pm.

The good thing about larry regarding a newbie is apart from the razor you can get a good starter strop which is all you need to shave without honing for a while, which will give you a cheap way into shaving and time to make up your mind if you like it, served me well and i have now just ordered a dovo strop after learning on this piece of kit larry sold me, though a word of warning, watch your rad, its bitten me hard:001_tt1:

Looks like a nice razor! I've not long started with a 4/8 straight...a bit smaller than most folk suggest for starters...and I'm finding it a nice size and weight :thumbup:

I appreciate the kinds words above, guys, about www.WhippedDog.com.

A comment on blade width...

Even though the 5/8 is the most common starting size for blade width, the truth I believe is that some of us end up liking smaller than 5/8 sizes better. You can't read your way into knowing what you will like. You have to try them. Unfortunately, some of use never get around to trying a smaller blade, smaller than 5/8.

I think more would use the smaller 4/8 size if their use wasn't quasi-discouraged in some comments. They certainly make getting into tight spots easier!

I appreciate the kinds words above, guys, about www.WhippedDog.com.

A comment on blade width...

Even though the 5/8 is the most common starting size for blade width, the truth I believe is that some of us end up liking smaller than 5/8 sizes better. You can't read your way into knowing what you will like. You have to try them. Unfortunately, some of use never get around to trying a smaller blade, smaller than 5/8.

I think more would use the smaller 4/8 size if their use wasn't quasi-discouraged in some comments. They certainly make getting into tight spots easier!

I haven't had the experience with a bigger razor yet...but I'm certainly finding that my 4/8 is a good size for my top lip :001_smile

I figured with the current BA strikes, volcano ash and my ever developing RAD to just go for it. Got this little beauty yesterday from the -
http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/

Dovo ‘Best Quality’ razor

Top quality carbon steel blade
Nicely etched 5/8 blade
Carbon Steel
Half-hollow Grind

Last edited:
Top Bottom