Creed Bois du Portugal - I like, she doesn't

Dang. I really like the sample of this scent. From the Creed web page:
===
Top Notes: Bergamot
Middle Notes: Lavender
Base Notes: Cedar, sandalwood from Mysore, vetiver and ambergris

Here are the Basenotes reviews of it: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120233.html
===
I guess it's the sandalwood again. Her exact comments were: "It has an overpowering soapy smell, with a touch of skunk." Dunno where she gets the skunk, because I'm *real* sensitive to that note - and I'm not picking it up from Bois du Portugal.

Bois du Portugal has a really nice sophisticated scent about it - very rich and formal. I can easily see wearing it for evening activities and very much enjoy the complex dry down it exhibits.

Oh, well - I'll put that one on the out-bound shelf and try the next sample tomorrow.

I'm with you on this one; it's my favorite EDT. Look at the bright side, at least you won't be shelling out $200+!

Mitch, any idea what ingredient the "skunk" came from? I personally think Guerlain Heritage and Zino Davidoff are half-way close to BdP, but maybe she would smell skunk in them as well. (Both are less expensive than the Creed.) Good luck, John

Try applying a little less, even if you don't feel that you are applying too much. As you know, it's an extremely strong fragrance.

The skunk smell has to be from the ambergris. I think her description was way off.

I have the same problem. My wife says my BdP smells "like a child molester". I think it smells like the inside of a piano.

Beene's "Bowling Green" might be a way to get some of the feel of BdP, but in a lighter, more citrusy form. Although it's out of production, you can find it anywhere.

I'II guess it's the sandalwood again. Her exact comments were: "It has an overpowering soapy smell, with a touch of skunk." Dunno where she gets the skunk, because I'm *real* sensitive to that note - and I'm not picking it up from Bois du Portugal.
It's not Sandalwood. It's Lavender. Different lavenders range from sweet and floral to very bitter and astringent, like bad bitter laundry soap.

Every batch of Bois Du Portugal I've had the pleasure of smelling has had the very bitter and aromatic Lavender topnote i dislike. I don't start liking Bois Du Portugal until it starts getting smoky and sweet, and the lavender top has subsided.

As for your GF reaction, I find nearly all females my age dislike it, with the exception of a white girl with betty paige bangs. that's why I don't wear it. I only accasionally mix a sample's worth of Bois Du Portugal into small atomizers mixed with 3 samples worth of Green Irish tweed and 1 samples worth of Original vetiver. I wear this combo in January and early February.

Beene's "Bowling Green" might be a way to get some of the feel of BdP, but in a lighter, more citrusy form. Although it's out of production, you can find it anywhere.
I don't find too many similarities between the two, but I can co-sign any recommendation of beene's Bowling Green, in any situation. Excellent green/citrus scent that is not dated like so many 80's scents are.

The skunk smell has to be from the ambergris. I think her description was way off.

I have the same problem. My wife says my BdP smells "like a child molester". I think it smells like the inside of a piano.
:lol: @ Child Molester.
It's not Ambergris either, ambergris has a musky/waxy olfactory texture and smell.
It's a bitter strain of Lavender that smells both soapy(all lavenders smell soapy), and bitter/pungeunt (as some lavenders can smell)

Lavender has a far range, from the population Lavender used in Czech&Speake's Oxford&Cambridge, to the bitter, masculine Lavenders used in many high end 80's "power scents"

You're a better man than I am. I would have given up by now, or at least suspected that SWMBO was playing games with me.
Nah, she's always - and I mean *always* - been straight up with me about such things. She has a lot of breathing allergies, so I really take her comments to heart.

It's not Sandalwood. It's Lavender. Different lavenders range from sweet and floral to very bitter and astringent, like bad bitter laundry soap.

As for your GF reaction, I find nearly all females my age dislike it, with the exception of a white girl with betty paige bangs. that's why I don't wear it. I only accasionally mix a sample's worth of Bois Du Portugal into small atomizers mixed with 3 samples worth of Green Irish tweed and 1 samples worth of Original vetiver. I wear this combo in January and early February.
You may have a point on the lavender - I know she doesn't like it and it's another scent I could roll in until the cows came home.

Like your recipe, too; I'll have to keep something like that in mind.

Sorry to hear your story. Mine is similar. I like it and the wife says it smells old manish. I am almost 30, I should be able to pull this off, but guess not.

S

Sam

+3 on the wife not liking it. It is the lavendar I think. Wife loves MI and GIT and is so so on Original Santal and SMW and Himilaya

BdP is a dead ringer for CK Obsession which, coicidentally, inspired it.

Where did you get this information?

I disagree... I LOVE Bois du Portugal, and I HATE Obsession!

And since we're already talking about it...

I have one 5 ml spray decant and one 10 ml splash decant of Bois du Portugal available, if anyone is interested (PM me)

Top Bottom