What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

What is the best higher end replaceable blade straight razor that uses DE blades?
Ok, I am mentioning all the De Shavettes that I have read and thought to buy...

Tedalus Essence... Not available anymore (ask in BST). Very expensive with the look of a SR.

Mühle Enthusiat is already mentioned.

Irving Barbour Company Shavette. It supports de, injector and Ac blade format.

Slim Focus Al is already mentioned

Broker makes shavettes also.

Under 50 but are equally good. Even a 5 usd shavette can produce fantastic results.

Universal shavette Lama intera or half blade version.

Vanta shavettes. These have blade corner guards. Slim also.

There are some Chinese shavettes that look like Feather Ac shavettes but for De and injector format. Very nice also.

Hope this helps.

I will probably try a Focus Slim one of these days. I had forgotten about them. They are weird looking, and very industrial.

What I would say is that it's obviously a high quality item and capable of delivering a great shave. However, I don't think it is necessarily a significant upgrade over what you already have in terms of the shave characteristics - it's more about the build quality / fit and finish compared to cheaper shavettes, and of course the unique design.

Now I want to go and shave with mine, but my shave yesterday with my Feather SR was so close I barely have enough stubble to justify it yet!

I see Maggard's is selling the Enthusiast, but WOW! is it expensive! I personally like that it uses normal DE blades and the smaller length of blades does not bother me at all.

I will probably try a Focus Slim one of these days. I had forgotten about them. They are weird looking, and very industrial.

Good point.

Bought directly from Mühle, Germany when it was first released and shipped to an address within the EU, the Enthusiast was cheaper than many Feather AC models.

When I later looked at prices here in North America (e.g. $265 at maggardrazors.com), I found that it was more expensive than the Feather SR (eg. $160 at fendrihan.com), which I now consider the most attractive (by price, looks and performance) of the folding Feather AC models.

That makes the choice a no brainer.

B.

Last edited:
Good point.

Bought directly from Mühle, Germany when it was first released and shipped to an address within the EU, the Enthusiast was cheaper than many Feather AC models.

When I later looked at prices here in North America (e.g. $265 at maggardrazors.com), I found that it was more expensive than the Feather SR (eg. $160 at fendrihan.com), which I now consider the most attractive (by price, looks and performance) of the folding Feather AC models.

That makes the choice a no brainer.

B.
B? I thought it was 42?

Jokes aside, thanks for the info. $265 is in the realm of a very nice custom made straight razor with gold fill and etching. I want to try one of the Mühle's, but yikes!

I think the Feather would be nice, but it only takes Feather blades and not DE blades. It is still a lot of money.

Ok, I am mentioning all the De Shavettes that I have read and thought to buy...

Tedalus Essence... Not available anymore (ask in BST). Very expensive with the look of a SR.

Mühle Enthusiat is already mentioned.

Irving Barbour Company Shavette. It supports de, injector and Ac blade format.

Slim Focus Al is already mentioned

Broker makes shavettes also.

Under 50 but are equally good. Even a 5 usd shavette can produce fantastic results.

Universal shavette Lama intera or half blade version.

Vanta shavettes. These have blade corner guards. Slim also.

There are some Chinese shavettes that look like Feather Ac shavettes but for De and injector format. Very nice also.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Good list. Boker are not too expensive, but it has a plastic insert.

What I would say is that it's obviously a high quality item and capable of delivering a great shave. However, I don't think it is necessarily a significant upgrade over what you already have in terms of the shave characteristics - it's more about the build quality / fit and finish compared to cheaper shavettes, and of course the unique design.

Now I want to go and shave with mine, but my shave yesterday with my Feather SR was so close I barely have enough stubble to justify it yet!
Good point. None are probably better than what I have. Sometimes, I wish the Parker had more weight to it, even though it shaves well. The Chinese Feather clones work very nicely, but one is hard to load, for some reason, and get the blade straight. Both the folding and kamisori style shave really well.

Greetings! Prospective member here, giving barber razors a second go.

My background:
I’ve been DE shaving since 2017, and a couple years ago my barber friend gave me a cheap razor from his shop. I used it a few times, but never got a good shave or felt comfortable using it. I ended up tossing it.

I think it was one of these:
proxy.php

Flash forward to a few days ago. I have a few months of SR shaving under my belt and am curious about barber razors. I enjoy shaving with a straight razor, but I don’t like the amount of maintenance involved and I don’t have time to shave with every day.

The Art of Shaving has a sale going on, so I bought a Dovo Shavette for $20. It arrived yesterday (the inserts it came with are black instead of red, but still take half DE blades) and I tested it out with the Merkur Super blade that came with it. Wow!

I got a close and comfortable shave. And despite what people often say, it felt easier to use safely than my SR. The rounded corner is a game changer. It allows me to “lean into” the end of the razor when I need to. This and the shorter edge make it so easy to maneuver in tight spaces like under my jaw.

So far, so good. Now I have to see how this works as a daily driver. And let’s hope I don’t develop RAD.

I think the Feather would be nice, but it only takes Feather blades and not DE blades. It is still a lot of money.
I think you meant 'Artist Club style blades' instead of 'Feather blades' as the Feather SR can use Kai and Schick AC blades for example.

I only mention it for future readers of this thread as some people new to AC style barber razors sometimes assume that if you have a Feather barber razor that you can only use Feather AC blades.

I just couldn’t make this type of razor work for me.

I posted my like-new SR and 89 blades (AC ProGuard and Protouch MG) on BST, if anyone is looking for one.

Cheers!

How long have you been at it @WThomas0814?

Don't quit!

FWIW, I find guarded blades make the process more difficult and dangerous rather than easier. I tried shaving with a Protouch MG the other day just to see if I might use up my pack and sure enough, I managed a proper bleeder - I have been shaving all month with Feather Pro and Schicks and not seen any blood at all.

You might be like me and find you got on better with a sharp and unguarded blade. With them, you can wipe stubble away, but the guarded blades always seem to leave stubble behind for me (or do a funny snag like it did yesterday).

I am guessing you are in the USA or I would offer to send you some Schicks to try.

I am tempted as I just started using my Kai Excelia and have a...folding Feather DX about to be delivered in the next few days...

Mine was meant to arrive today but was delayed. :c13:

Apart from one shave with my Focus, the Feather SR kamisori is all I have used since it arrived a couple of weeks ago....just sayin' :devil:

Edit: And now I think about it, I haven't used any other soap than 2024 MWF. Given that I usually switch gear for almost every shave, that's good going!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Mine was meant to arrive today but was delayed. :c13:

Apart from one shave with my Focus, the Feather SR kamisori is all I have used since it arrived a couple of weeks ago....just sayin' :devil:

Edit: And now I think about it, I haven't used any other soap than 2024 MWF. Given that I usually switch gear for almost every shave, that's good going!
Mine is held up in US Customs as well.... I had to return a phone call and FedEx sent me a form to fill out and sign stating the wood was not exotic and the blades were for personal use. I hope I filled it out correctly. I had some difficulty using the "sign" options provided as I couldn't figure out how to get my name in the box.... I tried several times but it said "signed" by "Trust", a windows thing. We'll see if that satisfies them.

Edit: I now have two packages held up in US Customs.... a badger brush that has to be inspected by the Fish and Game Department.. and this package from Japan with the DX and Kai blades... I really didn't expect any kind of issue, but alas, that was too much for which to hope, evidently.

Top Bottom