What's new

Favorite Cartoons - Then and Now

I love threads about cartoons. I think I've posted in every one that has appeared here at B&B since I signed on...

And I love cartoons. I took, and probably still take, a lot of heat for watching them, but to my critics, I say, get lost. YOU worry about Susan Boyle's meltdown or who the finalist is on "Dancing with the Stars" or "American Idol." In no particular order, my Hall of Fame:

NOW
The Simpsons
Family Guy
King of the Hill
Spongebob Squarepants (season 1 through part of 4)
Some Adult Swim offerings
American Dad

THEN
Classic Looney Toons
Tom & Jerry
Jonny Quest
Droopy
The Flintstones
The Jetsons (original series)
Pink Panther
All other Hanna-Barbera works like Yogi Bear and Quick Draw Mcgraw

I'll probably get a big "Zoinks!" for this, but I hated Scooby Doo.

I wholeheartedly agree with Todd... Courage the Cowardly Dog needs to be released on DVD. The fact that it hasn't proves that the Universe is unjust and cruel... sighs... but I get the same feeling when I think of the band Loverboy.

Don

Now:
Venture Brothers
Home Movies
Metalocalypse
Aqua Teen Hunger Force (sometimes)
Dr. Katz
South Park (sometimes)

Then:
Simpsons (as in, the first eight seasons were the best TV ever IMO, up there with Twin Peaks and actually approaching Art, and seasons nine-eleven were pretty great; I can't include this in the "Now" category, because I am actually depressed trying to watch it now given the slide in quality)

Then:
Flinstones
Rocky & Bullwinkle Show
Top Cat
Spider Man
Underdog!
Quick Draw McGraw
Pixie And Dixie
The Jetsons
Huckleberry Hound
Tom Slick
Yogi Bear
Heckle & Jeckyl (My Favorite)

Now?
South Park
Family Guy

[YOUTUBE]KYdZcLUWDU0[/YOUTUBE]

Then:

Loony Tunes
GI Joe
Tom & Jerry
Smurfs
Snorks

Now:

SpongeBob SquarePants
Penguins of Madagascar (hilarious BTW. If you haven't seen it make a point to)
Backyardigans

Need to see more love for Ren and Stimpy. A lot of people don't appreciate how edgy and innovative it was in its time, and what awful parents you had if they let you watch it. :biggrin1:

John K. has a great blog on cartooning/animation BTW. Highly recommended reading, if for nothing more than the R&S/George Liquor/etc sketches.

Need to see more love for Ren and Stimpy. A lot of people don't appreciate how edgy and innovative it was in its time, and what awful parents you had if they let you watch it. :biggrin1:

John K. has a great blog on cartooning/animation BTW. Highly recommended reading, if for nothing more than the R&S/George Liquor/etc sketches.

The first time I re-watched Ren and Stimpy as an "adult" (I use the term loosely) I thought, "Oh, my God! How was I allowed to see this? IT'S GREAT!":lol:

When I was deployed to Saudi Arabia, the local G.I. entertainment system would play movies, cartoons, etc., in a loop. It seems like I was always watching when Daffy Duck "The Commando" would come on. After several months of watching it, I finally noticed the poster on the wall at about 1:35 into the cartoon. Cartoons weren't just for kiddies . . .

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulFHqPu__nY[/YOUTUBE]​

Last edited:
Glad to see someone else recognized the greatness that was Robotech! That show paved the way for a lot.
I remember Tranzor Z, Transformers, TMNT, & Voltron, of course. I always wondered, even as a kid, why they just didn't form Voltron right away? The lions always jumped in and got the paint beat off 'em, with the five-way split of Kieth, Pidge, Hunk, Lance, and the Princess all screaming.
And why did Zarkon keep Hagar around? "Look, lady, I'm sick of pouring billions down the drain on this damned RO-BEAST program! They get slaughtered EVERY. SINGLE. TIME! Ever thought about sending, I dunno, like 5 of 'em? Just a thought. Either come up with something worth the money or I'm pullin' the plug."

Man i feel old now when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Pinky and the Brain(Brilliant by the way) and Ren and Stimpy are listed under THEN

I used to like watching Animaniacs, specifically Pinky and the Brain. Ren and Stimpy was also good stuff. Nowadays I usually watch Family Guy, even though I always thought Futurama was the better show. I'm not going to say it's more sophistocated, but I always thought it was the smarter comedy. We had both on DVD. The Boondocks is pretty funny as well. And I love the King of the Hill. My Hank Hill is not to be fooled with, Ah'll tell ya wh-at.

Legion

Staff member
Then

Astro Boy
Battle of the Planets
Ren and Stimpy

Now

Drawn Together
The Family Guy
Harvey Birdman

Oh, and Fritz the Cat

Then then:

Looney Tunes
Scooby Doo
G.I.Joe
Robotech
Voltron
Thundarr
Black Star
Smurfs
Masters of the Universe
Duck Tales
Peter Pan and the Pirates (with Tim Curry as Hook)

90's Then:

Pinky and The Brain (dude, they rule!)
Animanics
Earthworm Jim
Freakazoid
Batman (WB)
Gargoyles

Now:
The Simpsons
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
King of the Hill (wouldn't be surprised if Hank Hill is a B&B member)

Has anyone noticed that there are no more Saturday morning cartoons? Yeah, there are a couple. But they're not very good and it's not like in the old days when they started a 6:00AM and went on until 11:00AM in at least 3 channels including the major networks.

You have a LOT of good back thens but one you forgot for back then was "Star Blazers"!:thumbup:

am I the only one that has seen Penguins of Madagascar, or am I the only one that thinks it's one of the funniest things on TV today? :confused:

Top Bottom